What is Aspercreme?
Aspercreme is a clinically proven topical salicylate cream (Trolamine Salicylate 10%) used for relief of minor aches such as in arthritis, simple back pain, strains and joint & muscle pains. Aspercreme has an anti-inflammatory effect, reducing the swelling and inflammation in the affected muscles and joints. It diffuses and infuses quickly into the painful areas, and it has deep-penetrating action resulting in long-lasting relief.
Who is the Manufacturer of Aspercreme?
Aspercreme is manufactured by Chattem, Inc. a Sanofi Company.
Aspercreme Ingredients – Are they Safe & Effective?
The active ingredient of Aspercreme is Trolamine Salicylate (10%, Topical Analgesic).
Its inactive ingredients include the following:
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice
- Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin
- Mineral Oil
- Potassium Phosphate
- Stearic Acid
Have Clinical Studies been Done on Its Ingredients?
The ingredients of Aspercreme is clinically proven. However, there were no comprehensive details of the study done.
How Do I Use Aspercreme?
Just like in any medication, it is always best to follow your doctor’s directives in using Aspercreme and check the medication label as well for administering instructions.
Spread Aspercreme liberally over painful or affected areas, then massage the area until the cream is thoroughly absorbed into the skin. Do not bind or wrap the treated area unless instructed by your physician.
Wash your hands immediately after applying the product, unless your hands are the affected or treated area. Aspercreme may be repeatedly used as necessary but should not exceed 4 times daily.
If you have missed the recommended dose of Aspercreme, apply the cream as soon as possible then resume its use as directed by your physician or according to the package label.
What are the Advantages of Aspercreme?
- Use product only as instructed
- Avoid getting in contact with the eyes and other mucous membrane
- Contact your healthcare provider before using the product or if you experienced any side effect
What are the Disadvantages of Aspercreme?
- Do not use to children below 10 years of age
- Do not apply on wounds or damaged skin area
- Do not bind tightly or use in combination with heating pads
- Do not expose the areas treated with Aspercreme to direct sunlight
What Should I know before Using Aspercreme?
It is very important to inform your doctor or pharmacist first prior to using Aspercreme cream since some medical condition can intermingle with Aspercreme use. For instance:
- Pregnant women should be very cautious in using Aspercreme and it is a must to contact your physician before using this product. Take note that a little amount of this medication can be absorbed systemically or into the bloodstream. Salicylate is not recommended or is contraindicated during pregnancy.
- Lactating or breastfeeding mothers should also use this product with precaution. As previously stated, a small amount of this product may be absorbed systemically, and there is a risk for Reye’s Syndrome with the use of oral salicylates.
- Precaution should also be taken when using Aspercreme to children below 12 years of age. Be warned that prolonged and extensive application of the product may lead to systemic toxicity.
What Conditions Does Aspercreme Treat?
Aspercreme is recommended to treat pain and inflammation associated with arthritis, joint and muscle pain, backaches, sprains, strains and even as a remedy for chronic pain.
Precautionary Warnings and Possible Side Effects
- Allergy Alert: If you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Aspercreme, especially if you are prone to an allergic reaction to salicylates and aspirin, contact your health provider prior to use. Watch out for severe symptoms of allergic reaction, such as rash, hives, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest; swelling or inflammation of the face, mouth or tongue.
- For External Use Only: Avoid contact with the eyes or other mucous membranes such as mouth and nose.
- Stop the use of Aspercreme and seek medical help if your condition worsens if your symptoms persist for more than a week and if your condition clears up but then recur after a few days.
- Look out for signs of skin irritation: From redness to stinging sensation to the occurrence of skin ulcers and burn.
- Keep Out of Children’s Reach: In the event of accidental ingestion, immediately seek medical help from a Poison Control Center.
What Consumers Have to Say About Aspercreme?
Consumers have found Aspercreme not just to be effective but also easy to use with its flip top cover and greaseless consistency. Because it is odorless, the manufacturer made it possible for the consumers to use the cream anytime and anywhere.
Reviews about Aspercreme validate the effectiveness of this joint pain product for cure of backaches and other minor pain. There was also a testimonial from a consumer wherein he is very satisfied with Aspercreme that he usually applies the cream on his knees before going on a hike or before and after cycling to keep the pain and swelling away.
However, there were also consumers who reported burning sensation on skin where Aspercreme was applied. It is recommended to make sure that you are not sensitive or allergic to Salicylates or to other ingredients of Aspercreme before using the product.
Has any Research Been Done on Aspercreme?
Aspercreme is said to be clinically proven and a lot of reviews testify to its efficacy. However, there was no detailed report as to the researches done to substantiate the claims.
What are the Disadvantages of Aspercreme?
Aspercreme, based on a number of reviews, substantiate its effectiveness as a treatment for minor pain such as arthritis, back pain and even for chronic pain. The website of Aspercreme is thorough in giving detailed information as to the uses, ingredients, side effect and precautionary measures with the use of Aspercreme.
This product is also recommended for consumers who are looking for an odorless and greaseless best pain relief cream for joint pain.
Bones are connected by joints, which allow us to move with ease. Joint damage can cause pain preventing you from doing the things you once loved. Topical joint relief supplements tend to work more quickly, helping to relieve pain directly in the affected area compared to supplements taken orally. A topical joint pain relief supplement should be evaluated on its: potential to block the transportation of pain signals, potential to act as a counterirritant to reduce soreness, potential to act as a counterirritant to reduce soreness and Quality of Ingredients* backed by clinical research.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective topical joint pain supplements on the market today, in our opinion.