How Prostate Supplements Works?
Symptoms of an enlarged prostate include urinary hesitation, a weak urine stream, nighttime urination, not being able to empty the bladder completely and a urine stream that goes on and off.
These symptoms do not pose a threat to one's health (besides the risk of a bladder infection) but they do affect one's quality of life and may indicate that your prostate health is compromised.
The best plan for optimizing your prostate health involves maintaining a healthy weight, eating the right foods and avoiding the bad ones, managing your hormones and exercising daily. You should also manage your stress levels and take the necessary steps to wade off inflammation.
There are many prostate supplements that support a healthy urinary system and prostate. Supplements can enable the body to regulate the hormones and support a natural prostate size.
They are often rich in immune-boosting anti-oxidants that may help manage inflammation naturally. Some prostate supplements encourage the body to manage a natural prostate size.
What are the Common Ingredients Used in Prostate Supplements?
- Saw Palmetto - Is a popular choice in prostate health supplements. The common dosage is 320 mg per day. It may help with voiding health problems associated with an enlarged prostate.
- Zinc - This mineral is found in large concentrations in the prostate which suggests that it is vital for prostate health. Zinc can also boosts the immune system, keeps memory intact, maintains a healthy blood sugar and cholesterol levels, regulates the blood pressure and heartbeat, and also boosts proper sexual development and reproduction. However, there is little evidence to support a link between zinc and prostate cancer, but caution with supplements is still recommended.
- Lycopene - This is a compound found in cooked tomato products. For ages, the compound was believed to decrease the risk of getting prostate cancer <source>.
- Beta-Sitosterol - This is a type of phytosterol that binds to the prostate helping reduce swelling and inflammation. The compound may help may reduce symptoms of BPH.
- Vitamin E - Is also believed to hold many benefits for the prostate. This is dependent on the type of vitamin. Gamma-tocopherol is the best choice as it has inflammatory and anticancer properties for prostate health. A new study found that vitamin E, once thought to reduce the risk of prostate cancer, may actually increase the risk. Some early research had suggested that selenium or vitamin E might reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Rye Grass Pollen Extract- This is derived from the pollen of rye grass. It has been used for ages to treat prostate health problems such as BPH, inflammation of the prostate and prostate pain.
- Pygeum - This is herbal extract that is derived from the bark of the African cherry tree which is used to treat mild or moderate BPH (source).
Other Ingredients used in prostate supplements include phytotherapy (combination of quercetin and pollen extracts), quercetin, graminex pollen, turmeric (curcumin), green tea and stinging nettle. Some of the supplements contain an optimal amount of one ingredient or a combination of botanical extracts, minerals and vitamins to maximize on prostate health.
Are Prostate Supplements Safe and Effective?
Promote prostate health with prostate support supplements. Shutterstock Image
Because supplements do not have to get FDA approval or go through clinical trials, there are many variants in the market. That being said, there are many supplements that have undergone rigorous clinical trials to prove their efficacy.
In tier one, which is a group of ingredients that have undergone the most clinical trials and research, we have phytotherapy (a blend of quercetin and pollen extracts), graminex pollen, quercetin and turmeric (curcumin).
The tier 2 supplements include pygeum africanum, stinging nettle, beta-sitosterol (plant sterols), green tea, dim (phytonutrients), probiotics, saw palmetto, cranberry extract and vitamin D. They have undergone a significant number of tests.
The last in the tiers is zinc and colloidal silver that have not undergone enough tests.
The best bet would be a supplement that combines any of the ingredients to create a potent formula. Made of botanical ingredients and other compounds, these supplements make a great alternative to pharmaceutical medication as a natural prostatitis treatment with little or no side effects.
They can be combined with other prostatitis treatments as a multimodal approach to treating BHP.
What You Must Check Before Buying Prostate Supplements?
For obvious reasons, it is prudent to check a few things before buying any prostate health supplement. Check that the product is all-natural meaning that it is made of 100% natural ingredients therefore has few or no side effects.
Knowing that the supplement is made to alleviate the symptoms of an enlarged prostate, it is important that one checks the ingredients used in its manufacture. Saw Palmetto and Beta-Sitosterol make excellent additions for a lifestyle that is free of prostate problems.
Besides promoting prostate health, they are vital for overall health, promoting hormone balance and acting as an anti-inflammatory. Check that the supplement contains an all-in-one solution to the problems caused by an enlarged prostate such that you can manage pain, discomfort, inflammation and size in a single pill.
There is sufficient proof that some ingredients used in prostate supplements may help with alleviating the symptoms of BPH.
Backed up by scientific research and clinical trials, these ingredients have the power to help with a better urinary flow, lessen nighttime urinating and the discomfort of having a large prostate.
When picking a good prostate supplement, check that each of the ingredients used is safe. Also, you can reap the maximum benefits by picking a combination of several ingredients to increase the product's potency.
It is advisable to talk to a doctor first before taking any supplement, especially if you have a medical condition or is under treatment.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available informations and our estimation of efficacy.
*Result may vary. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a serious medical condition, or have a history of heart conditions we suggest consulting with a physician before using any supplement. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be relied upon as a medical advice. Always consult your doctor before using any supplements.
Disclosure of Material connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you can click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."