Hot flashes are one of the most common symptoms of menopause. It is also among the most problematic and can wreak havoc on the life and well-being of any woman. The only drugs available to control hot flashes are hormonal medication. The problem with such medication is that they can cause side effects and also increase the risk of serious diseases. The menopause drug we will be reviewing is new and non-hormonal. It is marketed by Noven Therapeutics LLC which is based in Miami.
How Does Brisdelle Work?
Brisdelle (paroxetine capsules) is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor that is similar to the antidepressant Paxil. However, it comes in a lower dosage. The mechanism of action of this drug for hot flashes is still not known, but it has been used for treating menopausal hot flashes for years. It was only approved for the treatment of hot flashes recently, and the brand Brisdelle is new. Two studies have found that postmenopausal women suffering from moderate to severe hot flashes experienced reduced symptoms over a 12-24 week study versus participants taking a placebo.
Brisdelle contains the antidepressant paroxetine which has been prescribed off-label by doctors for a long time as a treatment for menopausal hot flashes. The medication contains 7.5 mg of paroxetine. The usual dosage is to take one capsule daily before going to bed.
Advantages Of Brisdelle
- Brisdelle is an FDA-approved drug for the treatment of menopausal hot flashes.
- It is a non-hormonal drug, so it doesn’t increase the risk of certain diseases like breast cancer, stroke and heart disease.
- It is clinically studied and proven to be effective in reducing symptoms of moderate to severe hot flashes.
- It is the first non-hormonal drug for the treatment of hot flashes.
Disadvantages Of Brisdelle
- It is still new and not time-tested.
- A few months ago, the FDA voted not to approve Brisdelle because it did not offer sufficient benefit.
- It is a drug which means it can cause side effects. The common side effects include fatigue, headaches, nausea and vomiting. There is also mention of the increased risk of suicidal thought on the drug’s label.
- It can decrease the effectiveness of the breast cancer drug tamoxifen.
The Dos and Don’ts While Taking Brisdelle
It is important to read the drug label carefully to make sure that adverse effects are prevented. Also, you need to consult your doctor before taking this or any other drug. Brisdelle may cause fetal harm and it should not be taken when you are taking certain drugs or have any kind of health problem. This is why it is very important to consult your doctor before using this drug.
The fact that the FDA has voted not to approve Brisdelle because it didn’t offer sufficient benefit is alarming. Take note that this is a drug that can cause several possible side effects so it is not completely safe. Would you risk suffering from these side effects just for minimal benefit? It is a viable option if your doctor recommends so. However, like in everything else, natural is always best. This is why natural menopause supplements are now very popular. These products are much safer since they only contain natural ingredients. Extensive research will help you find the best products for you.
Fortunately, natural therapies for menopausal symptoms such as weight gain, hot flashes, night sweats, decreased libido, and mood swings are available. Since many women experience weight gain during menopause, many natural menopause supplements contain herbs and botanicals that support a healthy metabolism. Menopause supplements should be evaluated on proven ingredients, ability to reduce hot flashes and night sweats, ability to provide hormonal balance and boost libido and its overall value.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective menopause supplements on the market today, in our opinion.