Pet-Tabs, manufactured by Zoetis (a worldwide animal health company with over sixty years of experience) is hailed as the most popular vet-recommended multivitamin for dogs.
It is meant to work as a dietary supplement for dogs who are suffering from nutritional deficiencies. Those deficiencies may stem from a loss of appetite or lack of nutrition in the dog’s regular diet.
Pet-Tabs is made up of eighteen essential ingredients-eight vitamins and ten minerals-that work along with natural acids to make sure your pet is receiving all the nutrients it needs.
Table of Contents [Show]
The supplement comes in tablet form. You can give the tablet to your dog by hand right before feeding, or you can crumble the tablet over your dog’s food. Just make sure your dog actually ingests the whole tablet in order to obtain the full effects.
That shouldn’t be all that difficult as the tablet is meat-flavored, and Zoetis claims it is very appealing to dogs.
They are also soft and thus easy to chew. Zoetis also claims that Pet-Tabs meet and even exceed the canine vitamin and mineral supplementation industry standard.
Unfortunately, Zoetis does not list their ingredients on their website. While they refer to eighteen vitamins and mineral, they do not actually list them.
However, the ingredients can be found elsewhere online and are as follows:
- Minerals: Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Salt, Chloride, Magnesium, Iron, Copper, Manganese and Zinc.
- Vitamins: Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine and Vitamin B.
- Wheat Germ: the part of wheat that germinates or sprouts to become a new plant as per ScienceDirect study.
- Corn Syrup: syrup made from the starch of corn.
- Pork Liver Meal: flavoring ingredient.
- Sucrose: a kind of sugar used in dog’s food.
- Lactose: a sugar found in milk.
- Safflower oil: comes from the seed of the safflower plant and is thought to help prevent heart problems.
- Gelatin: derived from collagen and according to a study it is used in dog’s food as it contains plasma protein substitute..
- Corn Starch: a starch obtained from corn.
- Hydrolyzed vegetable protein: protein usually obtained from plants such as soybeans, corn, or wheat.
- No known side effects.
- Contains a large quantity of vitamins and minerals.
- Easy to use.
- Provides a high quality protein source.
- Meat-flavored and palatable, so your dog won’t mind eating them.
- Safe for dogs which are pregnant, nursing, or recovering from an illness.
- Zoetis does not provide the ingredient list on their website.
- Zoetis does not readily provide any documentation backing their claims of exceeding industry standards.
- No backing for the claim of being the most popular veterinarian-recommended dietary supplement is readily supplied.
- The eighteen essential vitamins and minerals are natural substances.
- Pet-Tabs are meant to be added to a pet’s regular diet as a supplemental source of essential nutrients and should not be used to replace feeding.
- Pet-Tabs can be administered to dogs of all ages and sizes.
- Pet-Tabs should be administered before or during feeding.
There are no known side effects of this product when it is administered correctly.
- Puppies or dogs under 10 lbs. receive half a tablet each day.
- Dogs over 10 lbs. receive a whole tablet each day.
Pet-Tabs Questions and Answers
Q: Are their two different products called Pet-Tabs?
A: Yes, another manufacturer, Pfizer, makes a similar product called Pet-Tabs. However, in 2009 it was found that Pfizer’s product contained lead, and thus, Pfizer’s Pet-Tabs are no longer available from most sellers.
Q: Does this product contain wheat or lactose?
A: Yes, Pet-Tabs does contain wheat germ and lactose, so ask a vet before giving Pet-Tabs to a dog with grain or lactose allergies.
Q: What are the similar products to Pet-Tabs?
A: Similar products includes:
Pet-Tabs have an official website through Zoetis, but the site does not provide much information.
While Zoetis boasts positive claims of popularity and effectiveness, no evidence to back these claims are readily supplied.
Pet-Tabs are a simple product packed with vitamins and minerals that are essential to every dog’s diet. They are easy to use and are not overly expensive.
Still, there are many other canines dietary supplements on the market like Extend Joint Care, so consider all options before making a purchase.
Pet-Tabs can be purchased through their Official Website