What is GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health?
GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip and Joint Health is manufactured by GNC, the national supplements retailer, who promise to bring their expertise in supplement development to helping care for your pet.
This product is meant as a supplement for senior dogs who may be having difficulties with their joints, and who may not get all that they need from their usual diet.
GNC Pets sells this formula in bottles of 240 chewable tablets, available from GNC’s website at $64.99 per bottle – but if you are a member, you can get a discount to $51.99, a 20% savings.
Other online retailers such as Amazon may have even lower prices. GNC allows for thirty-day money back guarantee on their products, requiring you to send all of the remaining product and relevant packaging back, but with a full refund (less costs for shipping, gift wrapping, and similar).
How Does GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Work?
This product contains a range of minerals, vitamins and natural substances which are intended to give your pet the dietary support they need.
It is not meant as a replacement for a healthy diet. It comes in a tablet form which contains scent and taste attractors for your dog, and which can be fed as a treat or mixed in with your pet’s food. Just be sure your pet eats the whole thing, to get the benefit of the entire serving.
GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Ingredients – Are they Safe & Effective?
GNC Pets lists the exact amounts of the active ingredients in each recommended serving of GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip and Joint Health. In addition to binding compounds and natural flavorings, these ingredients are:
- Minerals and Vitamins: This product contains Vitamin C, Vitamin E, zinc, copper and manganese, along with hyaluronic acid, turmeric and Boswellia serrata extract.
- Glucosamine HCl: A compound used by the body to help “cushion” joints
- Chondroitin sulfate: A precursor to new cartilage in joint tissues
- Methylsulfonylmethane: Also known as MSM, an organic source for sulfur in cell membranes
- Green-lipped mussel: A shellfish used for whole-organism mineral and protein supplementation
What are the Advantages of GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health?
- Comes in several tasty flavors for easy feeding
- Available in large quantities
- Discounts if you are already a GNC member
- Money-back guarantee
What are the Disadvantages of GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health?
- No guarantees for safety in pregnant, nursing or intended-for-breeding animals
- GNC does not provide clinical studies supporting their choice of ingredients
- Product contains some possible allergens (shellfish, whey)
- All of the active ingredients are from natural sources.
- GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip and Joint Health is meant to be given as a supplement to a healthy diet, not as a replacement for either steady meals or nutritious ones.
- It is intended for senior dogs.
- It should be fed during or after meals.
Feed dogs up to ten pounds in size one tablet daily. For dogs between 11 and 50 pounds, two tablets daily. For dogs over fifty pounds, four tablets daily. (The per-serving ingredient quantities on the label are for a two-tablet serving.)
Alternatives to GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health:
1. Are there other products with the same name?
Yes, GNC makes several supplements with a similar name. All of these products are widely available, so be sure to check the labeling/shop information to be sure you’re choosing the one that’s right for your dog.
2. Does this product contain possible allergens?
It may. The label lists ingredients sourced from shellfish, pork and beef cartilage, brewer’s yeast and whey.
GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health Review – Final Verdict
GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip and Joint Health is sold by a very reputable manufacturer and seems to have commonly-used ingredients, as well as having several different flavors.
However, the price is rather high for this type of canine supplement before you consider discounts, and there is no clinical information provided to back up its claims.
There are many options on the market today, so be sure to shop around before you commit to a purchase.