Joint pains are very common especially in adult and elderly population. The main reason behind joint condition is constant wear and tear brought by repetitive use. Another cause is also the age of the person. The older a person gets, the higher is the chance of experiencing joint pain and problems. Since these problems involve a large scale in the population, pharmaceutical companies have constantly produced medications and supplements that can help relieve the symptoms mentioned above. One of the products available in the market is Arthriten. It comes in the form of caplets and is conceptualized to address minor aches and pain.
What is Arthriten and What does it do?
Arthriten is a pharmacologic drug that can be used in joint pain and swelling associated with arthritis. It contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic component to effectively reduce pain sensation and joint inflammation. It provides the following benefits:
- It reduces minor body pain especially of those related to arthritic conditions
- Arthriten helps reduce inflammation of joints, cartilage, and tendons
- It stimulates nervous system
- It reduces pain associated with ambulation and mobility
- It reduces joint stiffness
- It helps in improving joint flexibility
- It enhances stamina and energy in doing activities
According to the manufacturer of the product, Arthriten can provide pain relief within an hour of taking the desired dosage.
How does Arthriten Works?
This medication works by reducing joint swelling and inflammation. It is thought to react on the prostaglandins and other natural substances that are responsible for inflammation. It decreases the amount of these substances thus reducing the inflammatory process in the body. It also functions as an analgesic by increasing pain threshold. This action convinces the body that more stimuli can be experienced before it signals the nerve endings and the brain that pain is felt.
Manufacturer of Arthriten
It is manufactured by Alva-Amco Pharmacal Companies. It is a pharmaceutical company known for manufacturing over-the-counter medications. The company is based in Illinois, USA.
What Does it Contain?
This product contains the following ingredients:
- Acetaminophen 250 mg – It functions as a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory agent
- Aspirin 250 mg – It functions as salicylate, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), analgesic, and anti-pyretic
- Caffeine Anhydrous 65 mg – It serves as an aid to the pain relieving effect of acetaminophen and aspirin. It also stimulates the nervous system and makes a person more alert
The recommended dosage of this product is two (2) caplets every 6 hours to be taken as necessary only.
- Take this drug with a full glass of water or with food if stomach upset occurs
- Follow the recommended dosage as directed in the package
- Consult your doctor first prior to taking this medicine especially if you have been diagnosed with a medical problem or is currently undergoing any treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of its component
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage unless directed otherwise by your doctor
- Do not take more than eight (8) caplets in one day
- Do not give to children and those below 18 years old (unless supervised by doctor)
- This is to be avoided by pregnant and nursing women
- Do not take this medicine if you have any bleeding disorder or you are currently taking blood thinners because aspirin will increase the risk for bleeding
- Do not take this supplement if you have stomach ulcers as it will exacerbate the condition
- Do not give to people recovering from chicken pox as it may cause Reye’s syndrome
Does it Interact with Other Medications?
Yes, it produces several interactions to medicines like:
- Blood Thinners like Warfarin and Heparin – Arthriten will increase the bleeding risk
- Tegretol, Questran, Isoniazid, and Rifampicin – This drug reduces the efficacy of the acetaminophen component of Arthriten
- Follow the recommended dosage and use this product only when necessary. Do not exceed more than eight (8) caplets in 24 hours. It is because the acetaminophen ingredient of this drug is metabolized in the liver and taking too much increases the risk of liver damage
- If you have just received a flu vaccine or varicella vaccine, you have to avoid this drug as it can result to Reye’s syndrome
Possible Side Effects
- Gastric upset/ gastritis
- Abdominal pain
- Stomach bleeding
- Liver damage
- Hives/ allergic reactions
- Vision changes
What People are Saying about Arthriten?
Most of the people who tried this product have positive feedback regarding its effect in reducing joint pain and inflammation. It did help numerous people to move around freely without worrying about pain.
Has Any Research Been Done?
Although there has been research done on effectiveness of the acetaminophen and aspirin in providing pain relief and reduction of swelling, there has been no specific research about Arthriten alone. The ratio of acetaminophen-aspirin-caffeine in this product has not been evaluated in any published clinical trial to be effective in addressing joint pain and swelling.
The reviews on this product are outstandingly good but since Arthriten is a pharmacologic approach to joint pain, it possesses also several undesirable side effects. If you need to use this product, just remember to use it cautiously to prevent any organ damage. There are other joint products and supplements out in the market that you can try, which are safer to use and still effective at the same time.
Bones are connected by joints, which allow us to move with ease. Joint damage can cause pain preventing you from doing the things you once loved. Many conditions lead to joint pain from aging to an untreated sports injury. A quality joint product may help repair existing tissue damage and also promote stronger joints, less susceptible to future degeneration.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective joint pain supplements on the market today, in our opinion.