What Is Salonpas Spray?
Salonpas Spray is a fast relief for joint and muscle pain. It comes in convenient packaging that is easy to use and contains two powerful ingredients that fight pain. It is specifically designed for hard to reach areas of the body.
The pain relief spray offers long lasting relief (up to 8 hours). You just need to point it and spray whether on your hands, arms, feet, legs, etc. The formula comes with a mild scent unlike the usual strong formulas on the market.
The Salonpas brand of pain relief products is from Hisamitsu Pharmaceuticals which was founded in the mid-nineteenth century. The company made their name with the Salonpas Patch for pain relief which was introduced in the 1930s.
The Salonpas brand is now well known all over the world for relieving minor aches and pains of the joints and muscles.
- Menthol – This is one of the most popular natural pain relievers in topical analgesics. It acts as a local anesthetic and counter-irritant. It gives a cooling and soothing sensation to relive pain quickly upon application. Menthol also promotes blood flow to the area of application which may enhance the body’s natural healing process.
- Methyl Salicylate – This is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that provides long lasting pain relief. It is also a counter-irritant and is often combined with menthol to enhance its pain relieving effects.
However, it is mostly effective for minor aches and pains of the muscles and joints. Take note that this shouldn’t be used by people allergic to aspirin or those taking blood thinners.
How Does It Work?
The product causes an initial sensation of coolness followed by pain relief. It also dilates blood vessels in the local area which helps reduce inflammation. The product is essentially a counter-irritant which means it distracts the brain from the original sensation which is pain thus reducing perception of such pain. The methyl salicylate provides further anti-inflammatory effects to relieve muscle/joint pain.
- Salonpas Spray is easy to use and can reach difficult to reach parts of the body.
- It contains two active ingredients proven to help relieve pain.
- The product has a good success rate for treating minor muscle and joint pain.
- It can cause skin irritation.
- The product is not effective for moderate to severe pain.
- Many users say it doesn’t really offer long term pain relief.
- There is no money back guarantee offer.
Directions for Use
Shake the can well before use. Hold the can about 4 inches away from the skin then spray the area not longer than 1 second. Apply to the area a maximum of 4 times a day. In case of severe skin irritation, wash with water.
Salonpas Spray is for external use only. Do not use on wounds or damaged skin. Do not use it with a heating pad. Check the ingredients and make sure you’re not allergic to any of them before use. Avoid contact with the eyes and do not bandage the affected area tightly. Make sure to avoid inhalation.
All in all, Salonpas Spray is a good pain relief product for minor muscle and joint pain. However, it is not effective for most moderate to severe joint/muscle pain.
Also, it is not for everyone since some people find the cooling and heating sensation unbearable. It is still worth trying but there are better topical joint pain relief products on the market for moderate to severe joint and muscle pain relief.
Bones are connected by joints, which allow us to move with ease. Joint damage can cause pain preventing you from doing the things you once loved. Topical joint relief products tend to work more quickly, helping to relieve pain directly in the affected area compared to products taken orally. A topical joint pain relief product should be evaluated on its: potential to block the transportation of pain signals, potential to act as a counterirritant to reduce soreness and Quality of Ingredients* backed by clinical research.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective topical joint pain products on the market today, in our opinion.