On a daily basis, the skin gets exposed to a range of pollutants and harmful substances and chemicals. Those in urban areas are affected by the pollutants from vehicles and industry. The sun also plays a role in skin deterioration because of the ultra violet rays it emits. Another factor that deteriorates skin is aging. As the skin ages it loses its ability to regenerate and maintain its youthful look. All these factors combined lead to various negative skin conditions. One of the most common skin conditions is a dull complexion.
What is Dull Complexion?
A dull complexion is basically a complexion that has lost its liveliness and brightness. In normal circumstances, the skin makes us of moisture and oil to retain the skin in a smooth and bright state. Skin damage reduces the ability of the skin to do this and thus it dulls. The accumulation of dead cells on the surface of the skin is also a major contributor to dull complexion.
Symptoms of Dull Complexion
It may take a long time before one notices the setting in of a dull complexion. This is especially so in body areas such as the arms, legs and chest. There are however some symptoms that will appear and which signify that the skin is dulling. The biggest symptom is of course a loss of brightness from the skin. Lack of water plus dead skin cells lead to the formation of a darker layer on the skin. Other symptoms that come along with skin dulling include skin damage. You will notice the onset of conditions such as sun spots.
Causes of Dull Complexion
Different factors come into play to cause a dull complexion. These factors may be biological, psychological, environmental or hereditary. Some people naturally have a dull skin complexion which they have inherited from a family member. Such a condition is hard to deal with because even after treatment, chances of recurrence are high. Environmental factors include pollutants such as chemicals and dust. They damage skin cells thus causing dulling. Other factors that contribute towards a dull complexion include an unhealthy lifestyle and improper nutritional choices. Exposure to UV rays from the sun is also a major contributor towards dull complexion. The last cause is aging. The skin gets more susceptible to damage as it gets older.
Dull Complexion Treatments
Fortunately, a dull complexion is not the last nail in the coffin for people suffering from it. Dull complexion makes us feel subconscious about our appearance which is not good news for our confidence. You might prefer the Rodan+Fields Hand Treatment Review; Which guides you to decide the suitable product for your skin complexion. There are plenty of treatment options available for them. These options are discussed below.
- Moisturize: Water plays an important role in keeping the skin cells looking healthy. With enough water, the skin takes on a lively and luminous appearance. Furthermore, it is water that helps the skin to retain its elasticity and turgidity thus contributing further to skin luminosity. Lack of enough moisture causes the skin to lose turgidity and its luminous characteristics. Moisturizing involves the use of moisturizing products and also drinking a lot of water. People with dry skin types are especially susceptible to dull complexion resulting from inadequate skin moisture.
- Massages: Surprisingly, a massage can help to keep your skin bright and luminous. The massage oil used is highly beneficial in allowing the skin to remain bright. Additionally, a massage improves blood flow within the skin. This improves nutrition delivery to skin cells making them healthier.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliation is a process through which dead skin cells are gotten rid of. It is one of the most effective and safest techniques of treating dull complexion. The skin can be exfoliated using various home treatments, commercial cleansers and special exfoliating scrubs. Once the skin is exfoliated, the lighter skin beneath is exposed.
- Drink plenty of water: This cannot be stressed enough. Drinking adequate water is key to a better skin. Eight glasses of water a day are recommended for proper body functioning which includes a healthier skin.
- Skin brightening: This is the most effective way of treating a dull complexion. Skin brightening is done using either commercial brighteners or through certain medical procedures. Some homemade products for skin brightening can also be used.
Read More about Similar Product
- Skin Care Myths You Should Know
- Difference Between Men’s And Women’s Skin Care Products
- Nose Hair Grooming – How To Deal With Nose Hair?
Tips to improve skin complexion
- What You Eat?: Your nutritional habits matter greatly in the fight against dull complexion. For your skin to be healthy, you have to eat healthy. Avoid fatty and sugary foods. Instead eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.
- Minimize alcohol: Even if you try to eliminate a dull complexion but you still take alcohol, your efforts will be fruitless. Alcohol destroys skin cells and soon you skin will take on the dull complexion again. Therefore, reduce or even better yet completely avoid alcohol.
- Out with the Old – Slough off Dry Skin: Get rid of that dry skin through exfoliation and moisturizing. Once your old skin is gone, a new brighter layer will develop. Medical procedures such as chemical peels can also help to get rid of the old and dry skin layer.
- Start your day with vitamin C: Vitamin C is one of the best skin health products you can use. Vitamin C nourishes skin cells and improves immunity which protects the skin against pathogens. Starting your day with vitamin C, either in form of a fruit, vegetables or whatever is at hand, will keep your skin bright and healthy for the whole day.
- Boost your skin’s moisture level: As mentioned, the skin needs adequate moisture so as to remain healthy and function properly. You can provide this moisture by drinking a lot of water throughout the day or using moisturizing products such as creams.