An itchy lip is a swollen condition of the lips when the lips appear to be chapped and dry. Itchy lips cause bleeding, a burning sensation and a sense of irritation in your lips. It is a very common problem these days which is generally faced by people of all age groups.
People generally don’t pay heed to this situation and tend to ignore the measures that they must undertake to heal it, but, it is extremely important to understand the causes and treatment of itchy lips in order to avoid the occurrence of severe problems.
Thereby, this article deals with the important aspect of making you aware of the causes, symptoms, and measure to treat* itchy lips in a natural and economic way.
Causes of Itchy Lips
- Allergies: Sometimes the consumption of a certain kind of food or chemical compounds result in angioedema and hives, which is a hive like reaction under the skin, can cause itchy lips. Food products like peanuts, nuts, corn soy, milk products and eggs may cause itchy lips.
- Infections: Kawasaki syndrome and herpes simplex stomatitis which are common upper respiratory tract infections also cause itchy lips.
- Reactions: Reaction to an insect bite may also cause itchy lips. Sometimes, the chemical compounds that are used in various cosmetic products such as lipstick, lip glosses and lip liners may also result in itchy lips.
- Sun Poisoning: Exposure to sun can also cause sun poisoning which results in causing itchy and dry lips. When exposed to sunlight, your lips may suffer from an allergic reaction which causes chapped, dry and itchy lips.
- Dry Weather Conditions: Dry and cold weather may result in lack of moisturization which causes irritation in the lips and makes them chapped, cracked and dry. This dryness also leads to itchy lips.
- Vitamin Deficiency: The deficiency of vitamin in the body may also cause itchy lips. The deficiency of vitamin B12 in the body causes Cheilitis, which results in redness and itchiness of the lips.
- Vitamin A Toxicity: The overdose of vitamin A or chronic vitamin A toxicity also leads to itchy and cracking lips.
- Physical Trauma: Itchy lips may also be an outcome of major or minor trauma to the particular area. The use of dentures, for instance, causes irritations to the lips which leads to itchy lips.
- Cancer: Oral Cancer may be considered as one of the most dreadful causes of itchy lips. But in case of cancer, various other symptoms also occur such as redness, bleeding and sores.
Symptoms and Signs of Itchy lips
- Dryness of lips
- Swelling of lips
- Hives on the lips
- Chapping and cracking of lips
- Redness on the lips
Itchy lips occur due to allergies in about 2 to 4 hours immediately after the consumption of the food substance that you are allergic to. In case of an infection, such as the herpes simplex infection, itchy lips occur as a sign of initial reactions and in some cases of infection it appears 6 to 48 hours before the infection, in the form of cold sores
Treatment of Itchy Lips
- If itchy lips occur as a result of some infection, then the infection may be cured with the help of antimicrobial creams and antibiotics.
- Itchy lips that are caused by vitamin B deficiency may be treated by consuming foods that are rich in vitamin B as well as Vitamin B supplements.
- If the reason of itchy lips is some kind of allergy, then it is recommended to stay away from the agent that has caused the allergy. If the allergy is severe, then antihistamines and anti-allergy medications must be taken.
- Itchy lips may also occur due to the overuse of cosmetic products, thereby, the use of such products that cause itchy lips must be avoided as much as possible.
- In cold and dry weather, one must keep the lips moisturized in order to avoid them from getting chapped or dry and to avoid the itchiness of lips.
- If the itchy lips are a result of sun poisoning, then applying an sunscreen before letting yourself exposed to the sun is a very good option to minimize the exposure of your lips to the sun.
Home Remedies to Reduce* Red Burning Itchy Lips
- Consume foods that are rich in vitamin B components and minerals such as zinc and iron. Also have a healthy and balanced diet.
- Avoid the consumption of substances that lead to allergic reactions or result in tissue agitation.
- Avoid the licking of your lips as it further increases* the dryness of your lips and gives rise to cracks. Instead, keep your lips moisturized as much as you can using a petroleum jelly or your favorite lip balm.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your lips hydrated like the other parts of your body.
- Applying aloe vera gel over the lips soothes and cools down the burning sensation and provides relief to the skin of your lips.
- Apply olive oil over your lips to keep them moisturized and also it helps to heal the cracks and dryness of lips, thereby gives relief from the itchy sensation.
- Applying baking soda on the lips also heals the rashes and the itchy lips.
Itchy lips are extremely uncomfortable and cause irritation to the sufferer. But if proper attention and care are provided, then this condition can easily be cured. Therefore, one must strictly adhere to these few simple techniques, precautions and home remedies to keep your lips naturally healthy and beautiful.