What is Anti-Aging?
There are many different meanings of anti-aging. It is often left undefined. This can be confusing to readers. Anti-aging refers to slowing, preventing and reversing the aging process in the scientific community. To date, there is no proven* medical technology that slows or reverses* the human aging process. There also currently no available method of determining if anti-aging therapy works.
Anti-aging medicine looks at early detection, prevention and treatment of age-related diseases in the medical and reputable business communities. Different from tackling the aging process itself, there are a wide variety of strategies and therapies available. There is some research that suggests that calorie restriction can lower the risk of suffering a wide variety of age-related conditions.
What are the Causes of Anti-Aging?
The natural and not-so-natural aging process calls for anti-aging methods. There are many external causes of aging skin. Aging skin produces* wrinkles. It is important that you understand what things you may be doing that may be harming your skin. There are seven common habits that contribute to skin wrinkles:
- It doesn’t matter if you’re the smoker or you spend time with a smoker, smoke ages your skin at a faster rate. It also dries your skin out. Wrinkles develop due to the facial expressions commonly made when standing in the smoke (i.e. Squinting pursing of the lips and so on). There is some speculation that cigarette smoking is just as damaging as the sun.
- Sun exposure is the next big contributor. Many people go out into the elements with unprotected skin. Skin that has been exposed to the sun has a mottled appearance. Freckles can sometimes turn into sun spots and our skin may start to look leathery. Sagging will also increase*.
- Believe it or not, avoiding regular exercise can also significantly age your skin. Exercise helps to keep your skin toned and keeps your blood flowing.
- Cold weather exposure is the fourth situation that damages skin. Cold weather dries the skin out, so if you are spending a lot of time in it, be sure to use a good moisturizer.
- Alcohol dilates the small blood vessels in the skin. Frequent alcohol use can permanently damage the blood vessels, which can cause a flushed appearance.
- Stress also contributes to wrinkles. When we’re stressed, we tend to make facial expressions that can cause wrinkles.
- When you don’t get enough sleep, dark circles are created underneath the eyes, your skin can start to sag and your face can look puffy. Continual lack of sleep can contribute to facial wrinkles.
What is an Anti-Aging Diet?
According to WebMD, incorporating certain foods into your regular eating can help prevent wrinkles.
- Colorful fruits and vegetables contain the necessary antioxidants to help keep your skin looking young and healthy. Choose leafy greens, red tomatoes, blueberries and carrots, all of which help stop* unstable molecules from damaging healthy skin.
- Whole grain foods are rich in fiber, which is very good for your skin. Incorporate plenty of oats, quinoa, barley, wheat and brown rice into your diet. These foods also lower your risk for developing type II diabetes.
- There are many anti-aging benefits of Omega-3, found in fish oil. Omega-3 also protects* your heart, reduces* your risk of stroke and can lower your risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease. You should get two servings a week of fatty fish.
- Dairy foods contain calcium and fortified vitamin D, which is crucial for strong bones.
- Nuts contain fatty acids. Snacking of nuts can reduce* your risk of high blood pressure and high cholesterol by as much as 20%.
- Beans and lentils provide a hefty amount of plant-based protein. They are a good alternative to red meat, which contains saturated fat, which is linked to heart disease and diabetes.
How Do Creams Work for Anti-Aging?
Anti-aging creams are topical creams that are usually applied twice per day to problem areas. Below you will find information about what makes these creams effective:
- Antioxidants – Green tea and Vitamin E. These ingredients prevent sun damage.
- Hyaluronic Acid – This ingredient soaks in moisture, effectively plumping the tissue wrinkles.
- Hydroxy Acids – This ingredient acts as an exfoliant, which helps to remove* the old skin to make way for new skin.
- Peptides – This ingredient has the ability to increase* collagen production.
- Retinol – This is a vitamin A compound that prevents the compounds that break collagen down from forming.
What Skin Types are Associated with Anti-Aging Skin Care?
There are five basic skin types to consider. Determining which skin type is yours will help you choose the best method for wrinkle care and prevention.
- Normal Skin
- Dry Skin
- Oily Skin
- Combination Skin
- Sensitive Skin
What Experts Are Saying
Anti-aging is not only the latest thing, but it is also an important step to keeping your body healthy. Marriage Expert Hellen Chen suggests that it is easier to stay healthier when you are in a relationship. She says that married couples tend to live longer and adapt healthier habits. This concept has been identified by several independent studies. In fact, being married can drive a person to perform better* in all aspects of their life.
What is Needed for Aging Prevention?
Prevention is extremely important. Some things you can do to prevent the signs of aging is to protect* your skin when you are outside. Skin protection should extend to car travel as well, because the rays of the sun can still damage your skin through the car window, even on cloudy days. Always wear protective clothing and SPF sunscreen when planning on spending time outside. Follow a morning and evening skincare regimen that includes a cleanser, moisturizer and toner. Avoid cigarette smoke, eat healthy and get plenty of rest each night.
The fact of the matter is, we all age. You simply cannot get away from it. For some, genetics means we age sooner. For others, the signs of aging can be prevented by following simple healthy everyday habits.