To achieve and maintain a healthy weight is paramount to happy living, disease aversion and for your overall wellbeing. If you are obese or overweight, chances of getting serious health complications are also high. These include heart disease, high blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, gallstones, and shortness of breath among some types of cancer. Lack of energy, fatigue, exhaustion, and inability to perform some simple tasks are also typical in obese and overweight individuals. There is no doubt that looking gigantic can bring a feeling of embarrassment and rob off your self-confidence especially if it is very apparent. It can be a sign of carelessness or lack of self-control to some extent.
According to Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Adult Body Mass Index or BMI is the best way in determining whether your weight is healthy or not. The method entails comparison of your body weight relative to your height with the help of a BMI calculator. You can readily and freely find these calculators on the internet. If you have a BMI of 18.5 or less, count yourself being “underweight”. If it is between 18.5 and 24.9, your weight is within the normal range which is healthy. If your BMI is between 25.0 and 29.9, you are overweight. Anything beyond 30 is obese. Another method to determine, if your weight is healthy to measure your waistline circumference. If you are a man, anything above 40 inches is an indicator of obesity. For women, 35 inches and above means the same if not pregnant.
Why We Gain Weight?
There are several reasons why people gain weight with the most common ones being:
Sleeplessness: Most body functions take place during sleep. Inadequate sleep will give your body physiological stress which increases fat storage07
Stress: It can arise due to daily demands in life at work, home or learning institutions. Stress triggers biochemical processes that slow down metabolism and cause production of hormones cortisol and leptin resulting to obesity.
Poor Diet: Taking food rich in fats and carbohydrates will cause an increase in weight. This is because your calories intake is high and the extra are converted into fats for storage under your skin
Medications: These include antidepressants which are the main cause in about 25% of patients who regularly use them. Once you start recovering from an illness, your appetite improves. Other supplements that can cause weight gain are birth control pills and corticosteroids
How Do People Lose Weight And Keep It Off?
- Eating and Drinking: Does what’s in your plate counts? Sure it does. Consider eating low-carbs diets and avoid junking or skipping meals. Avoid alcoholism if you can or drink sugar-free brands. Consume at least 8 glasses of water daily
- The Mental Component: Learn of workable ways to avoid stress or become familiar with means of coping when it strikes. To avoid craving for something for your mouth, always stay occupied. Condition your mind when to take meals and what to eat
- Support: It can be difficult to enroll on a weight loss plan on your own. However, you can do it with your partner, friend, or a professional trainer to inspire and keep you motivated. Seek medical support before enrolling on any weight loss plan
How Do Popular Weight-Reduction Plans Stack Up?
- Balanced-Deficit (Low-calorie): To maintain a healthy weight, avoid foods rich in caloric content. Ensure your daily calories burnout exceeds your intake
- Very-Low-Calorie Diets: Low-carbohydrate is ideal if you really want to shed off the extra weight. Nonetheless, always include some in your diet for the maintenance of crucial body functions
- Very-Low-Fat: Meals that contain healthy fat are ideal for any weight loss plan. This will prevent additional fats from being absorbed and stored in your system
- Partial Meal-Replacement: Abrupt change of diets can easily cause a relapse according to statistics. A good plan will gradually replace food elements that can cause an increase in weight
- Meal-Delivery Programs: These will provide you with a scheduled meal time with clear details of caloric percentages for a particular day’s intake
How Many Calories Should I Consume Each Day To Lose Weight?
There is no definite amount of calories that you should take each day in order to lose weight. It all depends on the amount of calories you are able to burn each day. Depending on the workout plan, you should ensure to consume less calories and burn more daily. Scientifically, 1 pound is equivalent to 3500 calories. So, if you want to lose a pound in a week, you have to create a deficit of 500 calories each day. However, as you become lighter, your energy requirements also decrease.
Are There Other Ways To Lose Weight Besides Making Behavioral/Lifestyle Changes?
Behavioral and lifestyle changes are the best weight loss strategies that any reputable nutritionist or health expert would recommend. Alternative approaches include surgical processes such as liposuction although they mostly apply to specific body parts. You can also lose weight through liquid diets and yoga. Don’t make the mistake of skipping meals to shed weight. The craving for any food at your disposal can compel you to resort the junky way.
What about Methods Like Fasting And “Sweating It Out”?
Yes, in fasting it means that your body will have a caloric deficit and thus more fat will be burned for energy production. Fasting has been known to reduce the chances of illnesses being globally practiced by Muslims, Christians, and Buddhists. However, fasting can pose a major health risk in some individuals. “Sweating it out” means lots of workouts which are ideal for any weight loss plan. However, not all workouts will help you lose weight. Consider the assistance of a professional trainer to get a well distributed or even weight loss.
Why I Go For Weight Management?
With weight management, you will always keep your weight on the check and stay away from the risks associated with being obese or overweight. You will be fully informed on various means to reduce or maintain weight without the risks of a regain. With professional advice at your fingertips, you will not only be fully aware of the potential dangers of being obese or overweight, but you will also get an insight of what kind of meals, lifestyle, and behavioral changes that can be helpful.
With many Americans searching for best ways to lose weight, healthy diet and exercise must top in any genuine programs. This entails reducing calories intake as well as burning more calories than you consume daily. Unfortunately, making permanent food changes is a challenge to many especially if it is one you can’t stick with forever. A relapse will only lead to regain in weight, a challenge that many people are faced with today. Considering a partial meal replacement is a landmark for dietary changes you can make in order to lose weight and keep it off.