Okinawa Diet Reviews: How Safe and Effective Is This Diet Plan?
Okinawa Diet Overview
It is an indisputable fact that the people of Okinawa, an island located between Japan and Taiwan, enjoy a longer life span than those in many other parts of the world, particularly North America. There are a number of reasons for this, including environmental and cultural, but their diet plays a very significant role.
The doctors behind the best selling ‘Okinawa Diet‘ have used research from this part of the world and developed a way of eating that, whilst incorporating many of the aspects of the diet have adapted it slightly to fit in with the western lifestyle.
The Okinawa diet can be learned about and followed through purchasing the original book, which is available at major retailers for approximately $15.00, or they can choose to sign up for the online diet, accessible through the official website. The Okinawa site is very informative and explains the principles of the diet very well. It features bios of the three founding doctors, plus links to how the Okinawa diet has been presented by the media (including CNN, Time and U.S.A. Today). Viewers can also access a very interesting article in National Geographic which, as well as explaining more about the Okinawa people also mentions this particular Okinawa Diet plan.
Probably one of the most useful parts on the website is the page illustrating the difference between the Okinawa food pyramid in comparison to the official United States Agricultural Department pyramid. It explains how, by eating foods that have a lower caloric density, the dieter can consume larger amounts, but still not gain weight. Adding exercise to the plan ensures that the amount of energy expended is greater than the energy being consumed in the food, thus, enabling weight loss.
Okinawa Diet – Product Description
The online Okinawa Diet does not offer anything different to many other online plans, although it is significantly cheaper. By signing up, the user has access to online tools such as BMI calculators, online journals, a meal planner, Okinawa recipes, and help in identifying their own weight loss goals. They can also become involved in the community of fellow dieters through chat rooms and forums.
There are no major groups of food that are prohibited on the diet and the site provides a list of food divided up by caloric density (vegetables and fibers being ‘lightweights, refined, processed and saturated fats being ‘heavy’).
Although there is no guideline regarding exercise in the plan, online users will have use of an activity tracker in order to monitor their progress.
The cost per week of the online diet is only $2.80 (with a minimum 8-week commitment) whilst the cost of a one-year membership is $69.00 ($1.33 per week).
Okinawa Diet Advantage
- The cost of the online Okinawa diet is extremely reasonable
- The Okinawa people are proof that their way of eating leads to a long life
- The website provides customer and professional testimonials
- The diet is very simple to follow
- The diet allows the consumption of larger amounts of low caloric density food, thus eliminating cravings and deprivation
- The Okinawa way of eating can improve general health in addition to causing weight loss
- The diet has received favorable independent consumer reviews
Okinawa Diet – Drawbacks
- The cost of the food required may be expensive, particularly if organic
- There are other factors that cause the Okinawa people’s longevity, not simply dietary
- The diet is not specific about exercise required
- The website does not state how much weight loss should be expected
Okinawa Diet – The Bottom Line
Providing that exercise is added to this plan, there is no reason not to recommend this diet. Eating in this way, whilst maybe not providing rapid weight loss, can only be beneficial to overall health.