What is a Toner?
A toner is a product which can penetrate deep into your pores to rid them of dirt and other impurities. They include botanical astringents and antiseptics which have the potency to do this, and which tighten up the pores after they’ve been cleansed.
Toners will often include hydrating ingredients, to make sure the skin doesn’t try out as a result of using the product. This means a toner tends to leave the skin soft and smooth. They often include anti-inflammatory substances which can calm redness or irritation on the skin.
Why is it important to use a Toner?
Simply using a cleanser on a regular basis isn’t enough to rid the pores of all of the dirt and impurities it acquires during the day. It’s necessary to include a deeper reaching product in your skin-care regiment to make sure the dirt in the pores doesn’t lead to acne. Toners will actually get rid of the bacteria that can create breakouts on the skin.
What are the Key Ingredients to Look for in the Best Toners?
- Hyaluronic Acid – This substance is an incredibly potent anti-aging ingredient, because of its ability to draw immense amounts of moisture. This smooths out the wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. It also leaves the skin deeply moisturized, as well as smooth and soft to the touch. This acid does not waterlog the pores, despite the huge amount of hydration.
- Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract – It’s a small deciduous tree which is native to North America. The extract is often used to treat skin inflammations due to its high anti-inflammatory properties. This substance also conditions the skin, providing it with needed hydration. This is an excellent ingredient for people who suffer from dry skin. Witch Hazel has been deemed safe to use in cosmetics (source).
- Achillea Millefolium Extract – This is a botanical extract which has healing properties for the skin, as well as several other medical benefits. It’s often used to treat skin infections and swelling, due to its healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract – This is a botanical oil which is used in skin products for it’s moisturizing properties, as well as for its lovely scent. This substance leaves the skin smooth and soft. In addition, studies have demonstrated that it has potent anti-inflammatory properties which allow it to reduce redness and inflammation on the skin.
- Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract – This leaf has the ability to synthesize new cells, due to the presence of allantoin, so it can replenish the outer layer of skin. It contains anti-inflammatory properties which allow it to soothe the skin and treat minor skin irritations. In addition, its anti-oxidant activity revitalizes the cells (source).
If you haven't been using a toner, this is a great time to add this product which is an essential component of any skin care regimen. A good toner will rid your pores of all of the bacteria and dirt that accumulates and help prevent the formation of acne. It should also contribute to keeping your skin smooth and moisturized.
Below are some of the best toners on the market today, in our opinion.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available informations and our estimation of efficacy.
*Result may vary. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purpose. No medical claims are implied in this content, and the information herein is not intended to be used for self diagnosis or self treatment of any condition.
*Disclosure of Material connection: Some of the links in the post above are “associate sales links.” This means if you can click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”