With all the anti-stretch marks oils, creams and lotions in the market, how can you choose the one that really works?
The primary purpose of anti-stretch mark creams is to defend the skin against impending linear streaks, which are widely common during pregnancy, growth spurt during puberty, and rapid weight gain. What are stretch marks? They are red or purple linear streaks you see on your skin, and then fade into brown or white several months or years later. They commonly appear on the abdomen, hips, chest, thighs, and arms.
Because of the excessive stretching of the skin, more than what it can afford, the connective tissues in the dermis are torn. The aftermath of the broken collagen, elastin fibers and blood vessels is what you call stretch marks.
Specifics to Look for Anti-Stretch Marks Creams and Lotions
Preferences differ from one person to another. Some like greasy and thick consistencies while others opt for sheer and light feeling on the skin. The important thing is your favorite anti-stretch marks cream, gel or lotion should do a great job in delivering optimum moisture on your skin.
Apply after a shower in the morning and before going to bedtime. If your pregnant tummy feels itchy in the middle of the day, apply a generous amount of anti-stretch marks cream that also relieves itchiness.
The Cream should Prevent Stretch Marks and Reduce* Their Appearance
There is no such thing as too early to start protecting your skin against stretch marks. During pregnancy, some women find it most helpful and effective when they begin applying an anti-stretch marks lotions the moment they learned about their pregnancy.
Look for Natural Ingredients
Here are the natural ingredients that help boost* collagen production, retain skin moisture and amplify hydration.
- Essential Oil – Lavender, primrose, olive, coconut, jojoba and emu oil are just examples of essential oils. Apart from giving your lotions a delicious scent, essential oils does a great job in providing moisture that penetrates deeper layers of the skin
- Aloe Vera – This is a popular ingredient among moisturizers and after sun treatments. Because of its hydrating and healing properties, aloe vera is a must component for every anti-stretch marks creams and lotions
- Vitamins A and E – The combination of these vitamins results for more powerful collagen production and reduced* cell oxidation, leading to better, plumper and younger-looking skin. However, Vitamin A and its derivatives are prohibited among pregnant women
- Collagen – Collagen is inherently produced by the body, but as we age, the production goes downhill. So look for lotions and creams that contain collagen to increase* skin’s elasticity
- Elastin – Another component that breaks down during rapid weight gain and episodes of hormonal imbalance. Look for bottles that contain elastin to replenish the lost and damaged elastin fibers in the skin
Search About the Online Reviews of the Products
If your knowledge about lotions, creams and gels that provide a great barrier against stretch marks is limited, try to hunt in the Internet. The World Wide Web has plenty of reviews on the best stretch mark creams. They are based on personal experience, studies, and years of research from consumers worldwide.
The Internet recommends a wide range of anti-stretch marks products from higher end to the high street brands. Weigh down your actual preferences so you can narrow the list of products that you want to try.
The Cream Should be Safe for Use
If you are pregnant, always read the label first before purchasing. Pregnant women are prone to stretch marks, but not all anti-stretch lotions are safe to use during this time. There are so many pregnancy-friendly brands that have come out in the market recently, and all you have to do is pick one that suits your needs and your budget.