Yes, many patients have experienced great results with Fraxel Laser treatment. For those who have the time and money to do it Fraxel Laser Treatment is a very good option for removing* skin impurities.
- Age spots
- Acne scars
- Old scars
- Stretch marks
What is Fraxel Treatment?
Fraxel laser resurfacing treatments are pioneers in “fractional photothermolysis”. This is a technology in which thousands of microscopic laser columns treat* an area of skin at a time without affecting the surrounding tissue. These columns then encourage regenerative processes in the skin.
When you talk about fraxel treatment there are basically two types: Ablative and non-ablative.
- Ablative: Ablative treatments vaporize tissue through high heat. This more intense approach to scar healing usually means a longer down time and more severe side effects. You should expect your skin to undergo heavy peeling and appear a little “sun burnt” for a while.
- Non-Ablative: Non-ablative treatments are similar to ablative treatments except that they are gentler to the skin. Owing to the gentleness of the treatment, you will usually need several treatments over a long period of time to see the same benefits that Ablative Fraxel Treatments can give.
How Does it Work?
In fraxel laser treatments thousands of laser “columns”, about 1/10 the diameter of a hair follicle, are applied on the skin as if to cause wounds or burns on the skin. The columns stimulate the body’s immune healing response thus creating new collagen, connective tissue and epithelium. All in all this will result to younger looking skin minus all your skin impurities.
The reason this is so effective is because the treatment is actually using your own body’s natural responses. By creating micro wounds, you are sort of tricking your body into resuming a healing process that it would normally undergo had there not been micro wounds created by the lasers.
Is it Effective Against Stretch Marks?
Yes, and there are a number of clinical studies that can prove it. A recent clinical study of this new modality tested Fraxel treatments on 17 patients. The treatments lasted a total of six weeks with on treatment per week. A total of 6 treatments. Development in the appearance of their stretch marks were then tracked over the course of the treatments and 6 weeks after.
- 1 Week After Treatment
- In 38.2% there was 25%-50% improvement in the appearance of their stretch marks
- In 11.8% there was 51%-75% improvement in the appearance of their stretch marks
- 6 Weeks After Treatment
- In 26.5% there was 51%-75% improvement in the appearance of their stretch marks
- In 5.9% there was >75% improvement in the appearance of their stretch marks
What are the Side Effects Of Fraxel Laser?
For the first few days (or weeks, depending on the sensitivity of your skin) you may experience redness and swelling in your skin. In some cases, when a blue dye is used on your skin for the treatment, your skin may appear bluish for a couple of days.
There are some patients that have reported that their skin looked sunburnt for over a week and that, although it wasn’t particularly painful anymore, it looked unsightly.
What is the Cost of Fraxel Laser?
The typical cost is around $1000-$1500 per treatment area.
What is the Healing Time from Fraxel Laser?
The complete healing time may last up to 6 weeks so clear your schedule then and don’t go to any parties yet especially if you plan to have the treatment done on your face.