Stretch marks are unsightly scars or damages to the fibres of the skin which often develop as a result of mechanical tearing of the skin due to sudden weight gain or weight loss*. Fluctuations in hormonal levels which are common around puberty and pregnancy also weaken skin fibres, making skin more prone to damages and to the development of stretch marks. It is worth noting as well that stretch marks become more visible when hormonal changes occur because fluctuating hormones causes the skin to become generally paler therefore, making the stretch marks more visible, especially when the marks are dark and highly contrast with the generally pale colour of the skin.
Stretch marks do not particularly signify any health problem nor is it an outcome of any major health concern. However, stretch marks, especially when severe and highly visible, can cause an affected person to lose* self-confidence and self-esteem.
This is the reason why so many beauty companies have banked on this demand the desire to vanish stretch marks promising to make stretch marks invisible when, in fact, the appearance of stretch marks can only be improved* but they cannot be totally eliminated. Using natural, right-off-the-garden aloe vera is no different.
Aloe Vera and Stretch Marks
Aloe vera, a common house plant, has been celebrated for decades both for its natural benefits to the hair and skin. Aloe vera secretes an ultra-moisturizing sap which keeps skin hydrated and which have super anti-inflammatory properties.
Due to its well-known anti-inflammatory properties, there is a high probability of preventing stretch marks from developing with regular use of aloe vera gel on skin. However, once the stretch marks have appeared and have become visible, there is little chance that aloe vera will be able to help vanish stretch marks completely, particularly if the stretch marks are dark-colored, deep, and have been on your skin for a while.
Because of the strong anti-inflammatory property of aloe vera, immediate and religious application of its sap directly on skin, at least once in the morning and another in the evening, may help restore the fibers of damaged skin thus, supporting the skin’s repair and healing* processes, and protecting the skin from further damage.
Make Your Own Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is readily available around you or in the supermarket. However, it may be more challenging to get hold of a naturally prepared aloe vera gel. The great news is that you can make your own aloe vera gel in three easy steps:
- Step 1: Get a fresh aloe vera sap.
- Step 2: Collect the aloe vera sap and squeeze Vitamins A and E.
- Step 3: Add an essential oil such as sunflower, almond oil, or rose oil to bind the ingredients well and for that extra fragrant indulgence. Blend all ingredients and continue mixing until well-blended.
- Step 4: Apply on skin surface affected by stretch marks or on skin areas where they are most likely to appear. Apply twice daily, once in the morning and another at night.
Can Aloe Vera Really Make Stretch Marks Disappear?
Yes and no. Aloe vera can only possibly help make stretch marks less* visible but, it cannot completely heal affected areas of the skin and bring it back to its pre-stretch mark state. Stretch marks will probably lighten over time without any intervention.
Available studies that have investigated the effects of aloe vera on stretch marks remain inconclusive. One thing remains certain, however, that products in the market today that are claiming to cure* and treat* stretch marks do not have the basis to make a scientific claim*. So, the next time you see a skin care product containing aloe vera that promises* to vanish those stretch marks, think again. Chances are, it’s just another advertising and publicity stunt.
Other Things You Can Try to Improve* The Appearance of Stretch Marks
- Drink Plenty of Water: Keep your body, and your skin, ultra-hydrated at all times. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to prevent skin dryness and breakage.
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Good nutrition plays a key role in preventing the appearance of stretch marks and minimizing the skin damage they cause. Good nutrition helps keep skin well moisturized. Ensuring* that your skin gets all the essential nutrients it needs for skin protection, repair, and rejuvenation greatly helps prevent and mask the appearance of stretch marks.
- Exercise Regularly: Help the skin stay firm and avoid gaining weight or losing weight too fast by exercising regularly. A balance of cardiovascular and weight training exercises will greatly boost* your skin’s youthful glow and help prevent those stretch marks from appearing.
- Know What Make Up to Wear: Conceal and camouflage your stretch marks. Put on a little highlighter to lighten up the area and help make affected skin seem flawless.
When it comes to stretch marks, no amount of aloe vera can vanish it completely. Prevention is the key.
Feature Image: Shutterstock
In Post Image: pinterest.com, Shutterstock