Bio Oil Overview
Stretch marks or striae are red, purple, or pink streaks on the skin often appearing on the abdominal, breast, upper arm, or thigh areas. After some time, it eventually fades into a grayish or silvery streak.
It is directly caused by sudden weight gain wherein the skin expands considerably causing parts of the dermis to break. Some factors that lead to the development of stretch marks include genetics, medication, and certain conditions.
There are several treatments available but the use of topical formulations is by far the most popular. In this article, we will be reviewing one of the most popular remedies for stretch marks. Bio-Oil Skincare Oil is the world’s leading scar and stretches mark product that is designed to reduce the appearance of scars, stretch marks, and unevenness of the skin (color and texture).
It can also be used to moisturize the skin and treat very dry skin. It is a very popular product that has so far won 135 skincare awards. It also claims to be the number 1 selling scar and stretch mark product in over 17 countries since its launch in 2002.
The formulation is a blend of vitamins and plant extracts that are suspended in oil bases. It is non-greasy and light to ensure that the formulation can easily be absorbed by the skin.
How Does It Rate?
- The company behind Bio Oil is not very well known and they don’t offer products.
- It is manufactured in accordance with current Good Manufacturing Practice as stipulated by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- All of the ingredients used are tested for adulteration and microbiological contamination before production.
- Calendula officinalis flower extract
- Lavandula angustifolia oil
- Rosmarinus officinalis leaf oil
- Anthemis nobilis flower oil
- it can be used to address a variety of skin problems like discolorations, scars, and stretch marks.
- It also comes in a non-greasy formulation which is a lot more convenient to use compared to other similar products.
- It really works in the prevention of stretch marks.
- This increases the chance that a person is allergic to any of the product’s ingredients.
- it is not clinically tested for effectiveness so there is no evidence that it really works.
- It is not very effective in reducing already visible stretch marks according to many customer feedback and reviews.
How Does Bio Oil Work?
There are several ingredients in the formulation of Bio Oil that are known to improve the appearance and texture of the skin.
Vitamin A is known to reduce skin discolorations while vitamin E strengthens the skin and helps repair cellular damage, a study suggests.
According to a study, chamomile extract and the other ingredients soothe the skin to reduce inflammation.
The active ingredient PurCellin Oil ensures maximum absorption and keeps the skin hydrated.
The skincare product helps promote the renewal of skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks along with other skin discolorations. We covered an other stretch mark related article called Weleda reviews which offers same benefits.
Bio Oil Ingredients – Are they Safe & Effective?
Bio Oil contains a blend of botanicals including
Calendula officinalis flower extract (Calendula oil)
– Calendula oil is a natural oil extracted from marigold flowers (Calendula officinalis). As per this Article, It’s often used as a complementary or alternative treatment. Calendula oil has antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties that might make it useful in healing wounds, soothing eczema, and relieving diaper rash.
Lavandula angustifolia oil (Lavender oil)
– Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) is an evergreen plant native to the Mediterranean. Its flower and oil have a popular scent and are also used as Medicine. Lavender contains an oil that seems to have calming effects and might relax certain muscles. It also seems to have antibacterial and antifungal effects.
Rosmarinus officinalis leaf oil (Rosemary Oil)
– Rosemary oil has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties you can benefit from by massaging the oil on the affected area. As per Reserch It is used for headaches, sprains, muscle soreness or pain, rheumatism or arthritis
Anthemis nobilis flower oil (Chamomile Oil)
– Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis) 5ml is a soothing and calming oil that is excellent for skin care, especially sensitive and problematic skin. Pure essential oils can be used as essences in the bath or in vaporizers.
It also contains vitamins connected to skin health namely retinyl palmitate (vitamin A) and tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E).
The oil base is made of mineral oil, triisononanoin, Cetearyl ethyl hexanoate, isopropyl myristate, glycine soja oil, Helianthus annuus seed oil, BHT, and bisabolol. It also contains coloring and fragrances.
Bio Oil Questions and Answers
Q: What are the possible side effects of Bio Oil?
A: There are several side effects connected to the ingredients of Bio Oil. Retinyl palmitate is connected with side effects like itching, burning sensation, scaling, and redness.
Also, the botanical extracts may cause skin irritation to certain people especially those who have very sensitive skin. This means that the product is not for everyone.
It would be best to perform skin testing on a small area first before using Bio Oil to check for skin irritation or an allergic reaction.
Q: How to apply Bio Oil?
A: The Bio Oil website recommends using it for a minimum of 3 months. It should be applied twice a day for maximum effectiveness.
Massage in a circular motion until the formulation is fully absorbed by the skin.
Do not use it on broken skin. In the unlikely event that skin irritation occurs, discontinue use.
For individuals that have any skin condition or are using a topical medication, consult your dermatologist before using this product.
Q: Where can you buy Bio Oil?
A: Bio Oil can be purchased using e-commerce site like Amazon, walmart.
Q: What is the price of Bio-Oil?
A: 200mL bottle of Bio-Oil costs $27.99.
Q: What is the return policy of Bio-Oil?
A: Returns of Bio-Oil will depend upon the seller from which the oil was purchased. Customers should contact sellers for return information.
Bio Oil Review – Final Verdict
Bio Oil is a good product for stretch marks. This is because it is very affordable and many people say it really works.
However, a majority of customer feedback says it only works in preventing stretch marks and doesn’t have a significant effect in reducing stretch marks that are already visible.
Take note that it is not for everyone since it contains a number of ingredients, a few of which may cause side effects.
The unfortunate truth is that more than 90% of the stretch mark creams being sold today are ineffective. Some are even unsafe and can cause side effects like skin irritation. Choosing a stretch mark cream is a very difficult process that takes a lot of time for thorough research. To make it a lot easier for you, we have carefully examined the top stretch mark creams on the market and ranked them based on effectiveness, safety and affordability. Here are the best products for your consideration.
Below are some of the best stretch mark creams on the market today, in our opinion.
Verdict on Claimed Benefits: Below is our summary of the available evidence for the claimed benefits of below mentioned stretch mark creams based on the available research: