Nothing scares a lady than being slapped with “Hey Jane, you have issues with your skin, I suggest you see a dermatologist.” Jane will spend the whole day feeling depressed, and she may even not turn up for work.
Table of Contents [Show]
- Normal skin
- Dry Skin
- Oily Skin/ Acne Prone Skin
- Combination skin
- Sensitive skin type
- Mature Skin
- What are the Tips for Basic Skin Care?
- How to Wash Your Face?
- What are the Steps to Wash Your Face?
- What are the Tips to Wash Your Face Well?
- What are Blackish Spots on Your Lips?
- What are the Treatment for Black Spots on Your Lips?
- What are the Causes of Blackish Spots on Your Lips?
- How to Protect Your Skin While in Workplaces like Factories?
She will spend her entire day glancing at the mirror, Just to have a glimpse of the skin issue. Do you need a kick in the nuts? Then tell Jane she has a spoilt face after that, change the statement and say to her you were kidding and thank me later.
You should have a know-how on your skin properties. The information is vital regarding choosing skin care products and treatments. You may be familiar with the following skin types, but you luck a clue of what they mean. Well, the terms are:
- Normal skin
- Dry skin
- Combination skin
- Oily/Acne prone skin
Your skin type can change with time. For instance, young people have high chances of having a normal skin as compared to older individuals. Your skin type may depend on the following two factors:
- How oily is your skin; affects the softness
- How sensitive is your skin
- The amount of water in the skin. It has an effect on comfort on elasticity
A. Normal skin
Caring for this type of skin is much easier. Although having this skin type does not mean you should ignore skincare regimen. This skin appears to be thick and lovely. It has features that enable it to mature aesthetically, and it does not succumb to aging prematurely.
That is; if you take good care of it in the usual way by cleaning thoroughly with the use of facial cleansers on a daily basis.Then you have no reason to be affected by normal skin infections.You should make use of recommended moisturizers that have UV protection; your skin will be left in perfect condition. Normal skin has no severe sensitivity, and no visible pores can be seen.
B. Dry Skin
In case your skin is categorized as dry. It merely means that the skin is naturally producing less oil. Wrinkles and prominent lines are more likely to affect your dry skin. The most affected places are the mouth and eyes. The appearance of the skin around the cheek is also dull and around the eyes. In more severe cases you may feel itchy and burning inflammation on the skin. An extremely dry skin may even have signs of cracks and fissuring.
The unavailability of enough oil on your skin leaves it exposed to weather changes and dryness. In case you are fond of experiencing dryness when weather change to either cold or heats up, then you have dry skin. Dry skin at times may become scaly and rough mostly at the back of the hands, legs, and arms.
It will require you to use intense moisturizing creams that are designed for dry skin during both the morning and night to keep your level of hydration up. Dry skin is distinguished by lack of moisture in the skins corneous layer that result in flaking and tightness of the skin.
The moisturizing cream hydrates your skin and avoids it from drying. Some other factors that may lead to dry skin are cosmetics, genetics, indoor heating, medications, long hot showers, and baths. Some may be natural effects of the aging process, Due to the low production of sebum.
What are the Tips to Help Take Care of Dry Skin?
- Avoid scrubbing while bathing or drying
- Put on gloves when using cleaning agents, household detergents, and solvents
- Use gentle soaps or cleanser and avoid deodorant soaps
- Get used to having short showers and baths once per day.
- Use a smooth and rich moisturizer after a bath. Also, ointments and creams are recommended since they work better than lotion on dry skin. You need to apply according to your dermatologist prescription.
- Avoid getting the indoor temperature especially hot one; you can also use a humidifier.
C. Oily Skin/ Acne Prone Skin
It is characterized by enlarged pores, blackheads, pimples, thick complexion. Some may appear shiny or dull. The level of oil in the skin may vary depending on the weather and the time of the year. This skin type has an increased amount of lipids because the surface of the skin has a sebaceous gland that is overactive.
This kind of skin is more present in men than in women, and it mostly affects younger individual and those in the adolescent stage. Some of the conditions that may lead to more oiliness skin are: hormonal imbalance, stress, too much humidity or heat
How to Take Care of Oily Skin?
- You need to wash it more than two times on a daily basis after you sweat
- Make use of gentle cleansers and avoid scrubbing
- Avoid squeezing and picking pimples. They will take longer to heal
- In any skin product and cosmetic you purchase, look for the word “noncomedogenic” it simply means that it will not clog your skin pores.
What is the Home Remedy for Annoying Oily Skin?
The shiny oil on your face may at times be hard to remove. The following home remedies can help you reduced the oiliness, make your complexion bright and open your pores:
Wash your face properly
1. Use skin cleanser with gentle pH balance both during the day and before bedtime. Although, you should avoid overdoing to prevent scrubbing the skin’s protective mantle. This mantle is an acid that stops bacteria from penetrating the body using the skin. Most of the soaps in the market are more alkaline thus they get rid of the mantle and leave the skin open to bacteria, hence causing skin infections.
2. Avoid the use of facial scrub it stimulates the production of oil and brightens the skin with the use of lactic, citric or glycolic acids. Instead, use salicylic acids. In the use of home remedies, milk enzymes and enzymes from pumpkin or pineapple are recommended.
3. Milk mixed with Cleopatra – Milk is an abrasive with no oil in it that makes the skin elastic and soft. Make use of milk to wash at least twice on a daily basis to reduce sebum and oily features on your skin. During the night, you will need to wash the face and get rid of all makeup traces. Mix 2 tablespoon of milk with 2-3 drops of oil from sandalwood. Then use your fingertips to apply and massage your skin.
How to Absorb Your Skin Oil using Aloe Vera?
1. Aloe Vera helps clear pores and absorption of excess oil. Apply it to your face and let it dry.
2. Cornstarch should be used to take moisture out of oily skin. Just mix 1-3 teaspoons of cornstarch with lukewarm water to form a paste. Then rub it slowly on your face and let to dry. Rinse it with warm water. Use the treatment daily to get results.
3. Salt is considered a good desiccant agent. Add a spoon of the salt to tepid water in a container that can spray it on your face. Spray it on your face with closed eyes ones every day. Let it dry and leave your face that way. Do not wipe it
Home Made Natural Masks
1. Honey or banana mask is suitable for your skin. Place a banana and a spoon of honey and use a blender to mix. Also, add 2-3 drops of orange or lemon juice to the concoction. Smear it on your face and wait for at least 10-15 minutes before you rinse. When rinsing your face, use a cold washcloth or a steaming hot washcloth. Pat dry it and apply a little moisturizer on your face.
2. If you have too much oily skin, egg yolk mask is the best fit. The yolk mask removes surplus oil, and it makes your skin dry. Use a cotton piece to apply the yolk to spots you feel are oily and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse your face with cold water.
3. Cucumber and citrus fruits can also be used to reduce the amount of oil on your face and also refresh your skin. To form citrus, there is need to mix water with lemon juice equally. Apply it on your face and allow it to dry. With cucumber, mix a half teaspoon of cucumber juice with a half teaspoon of lime juice. Spread it to your skin and let it dry then remove it off.
4. A facial mask can also be made with the use of a half cup of oatmeal, a half cup of mashed apple, one spoon of juice made out of lemon and slightly mixed white egg. Stir the paste and apply on your face then leave it for at least 12-15 minutes then wash your face with cold water.
Exfoliate the skin
1. You can make use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar to exfoliate the skin. During bedtime, you need to apply the vinegar to clean skin with the help of cotton ball and leave it for 5-10 minutes. Later, rinse with cool water. You need to use it for more weeks to see the improvement. In case of any irritation, you can dilute the vinegar with more water.
2. Almond honey scrub is also an excellent remedy to exfoliate the skin. You need to mix it a small amount of honey with ground almonds. There is need to massage the mixture gently into your clean skin using a hot washcloth. Avoid scrubbing too hard since almonds are abrasive. Later, rinse with cool water, and you are good to go.
3. When using abrasives, you need to be careful, use them gently. Add a half teaspoon of baking soda to liquid soap. Rub the mixture through your skin oily places. Then rinse with cool water. The scrub is helpful to remove blackheads from oily areas like the forehead, nose, and chin.
What is the Importance of Lemon Juice on Skin?
Lemon juice has a lot of healthy vitamins. Thus it is essential for many skin disorders. The presence of acid in lemon juice can be irritating to the skin of some individuals. Specialist advises that you dilute the juice with water before using it on your skin. Below are some of the benefits of the lemon juice on the skin:
Healing of acne
Lemon juice has antibacterial properties that are natural thus it is an excellent choice to help in the cure of acne and prevent more breakouts. Also, the use of the juice on blackheads has shown results of the reduction of severity and frequency of blackheads. In case you leave lemon juice on blackheads and acne during the night. It is advisable you wash it off in the morning.
Reduce scars and age spots
Apply lemon juice to areas that are discolored and regions with skin disorders and age spot will help reduce them. It is advisable to apply it during bedtime and leave it on the skin the whole night.
The juice is a natural exfoliant because the presence of citric acid in the lemon is a known gentle skin peel that gets rid of the top layer of dead skin cells. The result will be smooth complexion when used on a regular basis.
It helps brighten the skin tone, oily skin, moisturize and fight wrinkles.
What are the Tips and Warning when Using Lemon Juice on Skin?
Below are some tips and cautions for using lemon juice on your skin:
1. Dry Skin
Avoid applying lemon juice to dry skin it makes your condition worse. In case you do not have a dry skin condition use a good moisturizer after applying the juice to your skin. Honey and lemon juice are the best antibacterial and moisturizing combination. In case you have an oily skin combine cucumber juice and lemon juice.
2. Stinging sensation
At times lemon juice may have some stinging effect due to the presence of citric acid in the juice. It is advisable to mix lemon juice with water to avoid the burning and stinging sensation. You should start by mixing lemon juice and water equally and then adjust the mixture regarding how your skin feels.
3. Stay Away from the sun
You need to keep off the sun exposure, in case you need to move put on high SPF sunscreen. Lemon juice applied to the skin will make your skin more prone to sunburn and thus lead to damage to the skin.
1. Use of the right frequency
Frequent use of the juice on your skin on a daily basis may lead to the dry and broken skin. It is also more exposed to infection. Unless you are entirely aware of the effect of the juice on your skin. You are advised to use it at least ones a day. The impact you will be looking for may even take long to appear, but there is less risk of you suffering from side effects.
How You can have a Smooth Face?
When you are born, our skin on the face is usually soft and smooth, although it changes as we grow older. Some of the factors that make the changes are inadequate eating habits, summer heat, cosmetics, cold winter air and environmental pollutants just to mention a few. This condition causes your skin to turn rough.
Below are some ways to make you have a smooth skin:
1. Apply Lemon, Olive Oil, and Honey Face Mask
Honey helps any damages to your skin; it also has antioxidants that help to reduce any signs of aging. The presence of vitamin c in lemon and other nutrients can help in skin problems, reduce dark spots, give your skin glow appearance and lighten it. In the ancient times, women made use of olive oil to help them have beautiful skin.
Since olive oil can help skin glow and give it enough elasticity. To make the Face Mask, you need to take equal amounts of olive oil, lemon, and honey and then spread the mixture on your face using fingertips. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it off using lukewarm water or even leave it overnight rinsing it off in the morning.
Moisturizing your skin is vital to the top layer of your skin, it helps it retain moisture, and thus your skin will stay smooth. The recommended time to use a moisturizer is right away after taking a bath. Simply because the leftover moisture from the shower will be retained and added a bit of the treatment.
Also, you should use it after washing your hands and before going out when it is cold. In case you have a normal skin, it is recommended you use a water-based moisturizer. If your skin is dry use a heavy moisturizer that has oil, to avoid moisture from evaporating easily. Individuals who have oily skin should choose water-based moisturizers.
3. Get Rid of Blemishes on Your Face
In case you are suffering from blemishes like acne. You can be able to remove them with a few treatments that are simple. A salicylic acid toner or gel that can naturally exfoliate the skin can remove the acne.
Furthermore, it prevents the formation of acne ones more. Benzoyl peroxide is also a good treatment for moderate-severe acne. Face masks and pore cleaners can also be used to treat acne. In case the acne is still severe, you should see a dermatologist for guidance.
4. Remove Wrinkles
Wrinkles start to show up as we get old because the skin is losing its elasticity and it begins to sag. Although there are creams on the market to help eliminate the condition. Examples of homemade cleansers that help get rid of wrinkles are with the use of milk and honey while the other one is with the use of lemon juice with sugar.
5. Protect your Skin from Sun Rays
The sun is the primary player in skin damage. Thus you should avoid over too much exposure to the sun. Alternatively, else you may have wrinkles, freckles, age spots and skin cancer. The best way to take care of your skin is to avoid going to the sun when it is hot that is between 10 am and 4 pm.
In case you need to move outside, you should cover your skin with wide-brimmed hat or clothing. Also, make use of sunscreen with SPF of at least 15. Lastly, you should make sure the sunscreen is water resistant and sweat proof.
6. Maintain a Good Diet
If you want to have a smooth skin. There is need to consume foods rich in vitamins A, B1, C, D and B6. Vitamin A and C play a role in ensuring you have a smooth skin by preventing spots and other growths later in life.
It is also recommended you consume a lot of antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins from fruits, vegetables, and tea. All of the mentioned above will help you protect your skin from disease and keep it smooth.
7. Keep a Healthy Lifestyle
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is good for your health. It also plays a role in having a smooth face. When you do exercises blood circulation in your body is increased thus allows your skin to receive more nutrients. Also, it helps you reduce wrinkles by increasing the production of collagen in your body
D. Combination skin
This type of skin is oily in some areas while others are dry. The mixed facial skin has dryness around the eyes and on the cheek. The only part is the t-zone which consists of the nose, chin, and forehead. Both the oil parts and dry parts will require different skin care regimens. This skin type is most common one in humans.
Gentle wash is recommended to clean the pores deep all over the face. It should be combined with other products to make sure the skin is receiving a balanced treatment. This type of skin result from hormonal factors or genetic. They can cause an imbalance in the number of lipids being produced. Also, it changes depending on the weather.
E. Sensitive Skin Type
Sensitive skin type is a symptom that is caused by many factors and not a skin type. If your skin frequently reacts to redness, burning, itching or dryness if you apply any skin care product, then you have sensitive skin.
Some of the causes of the conditions are skin disorders, contact to irritating products, allergies and use of product your skin is not familiar with that involves the facial skin.
F. Mature Skin
As you continue growing older, your skin sebum production decreases*. This leads to dry, wrinkles and flakiness on your skin. The skin will appear dull; it even may start to be itchy and burn.
What are the Tips for Basic Skin Care?
The tips below will help you keep your skin health no matter what type of skin you have:
1. Avoid smoking
2. Stay hydrated for instance by drinking much water
3. Moisturize your skin
4. Wash your skin in a gentle manner and thorough every day and avoid makeup when you are heading to bed
5. Wear a hat and sunglasses to avoid direct contact with sunlight
6. Make use of broad-spectrum sunscreen to help block UVA and UVB rays.
How to Wash Your Face?
1. Use a non-abrasive cleanser that has no alcohol. If you have a combined skin or oily skin, it is recommended you pick on cleansers that are strong. Whereas if you have sensitive skin or dry one you should choose soft formulas containing nourishing and moisturizing additives. It is essential for you to select cleanser depending on your skin type.
You can choose products that lack oil, are non-comedogenic(cant clog), will not cause skin irritation (hypoallergenic) and ones that cannot lead to acne (non-acne genic).The facial cleansers on the market nowadays have active additives example glycolic acid, collagen, elastin, glycerin, alpha-hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, minerals, and vitamins.
2. Use warm water to wet your face and use fingertips to apply the cleanser. Use your fingertips to rub your face avoid the use of sponge and washcloths they can cause skin irritation.
3. Avoid the temptation of scrubbing your face because it irritates your skin
4. Later rinse with lukewarm water and dry with a soft towel.
5. Apply moisturizer in case you have a dry or itchy skin. Proceed with precaution when applying cream around the eyes to avoid pulling too hard on the delicate skin.
6. Only wash a maximum of two times on a daily basis and after sweating. You should clean it every morning and once during the night and after sweating heavily. Perspiration mostly when you put on a hat or helmet makes the skin irritated. In case you sweat, it is advisable you wash your face as soon as possible.
7. The correct motion. The motion in which you clean your face matters. You should start by washing the face starting from the forehead, to the nose area, to the cheek areas and down to the chin and neck.
What are the Steps to Wash Your Face?
a) Wash your Hands
Your hands should be clean. Reason being hands are exposed to too much dust the whole day. Washing of hands will help you to avoid infecting the face with bacteria and dirt. You need to clean them with the use of lukewarm water and antibacterial soap.
b) Tie your Hair
Brace your hair to wash your face comfortably and also avoid making your hair soak with water.
c) Remove the Accumulated Makeup
Remove makeup by use of a makeup remover. You should look for a makeup remover suitable for your skin type and begin by removing the eye makeup first.
d) Soak your Face
Use clean and slightly warm water and sprinkle on your face to make it wet. It makes your face ready for cleanser and unblocks the pores for deep cleansing
e) Apply Cleanser
Put a small amount of the abrasive product on the hands and use fingertips to rub the abrasive on your face. You should make sure the whole face is covered with the abrasive. Massage the face in a circular motion slowly for over a minute. Allow the detergent to pass through your skin before you remove it by waiting for two to three minutes then you remove it.
f) Rinse your Face
Rinse it to get rid of the cleanser. At this point, clean and cold water is recommended. You need to pour it on your face several times until the cleaner is rinsed off. Another alternative you can use a muslin cloth or cotton pad to get rid of the cleanser.
g) Splash your Face with Cool Water
Wash your face with cold water. It helps in opening pores and improves blood circulation.
h) Blotting your Face
Use a clean and dry towel to pat dry your face till the water on your face is dried off.
i) Toning of the Skin
In case you have an oily skin or a combined type of skin. Toning your face is essential. Toner helps to remove the makeup, dirt and oil traces that are left on your face after the cleansing practice. Toners are also responsible for the reduction of pores, get rid of excess oil and refine your skin. After doing this, you will feel lighter, in addition, it prepares your face ready for moisturizing.
j) Moisturize your Skin
Apply moisturizing cream or hydrating face after you are finished with face cleansing. Although you should make sure the moisturizer you apply is recommended by a specialist for the type of skin you have.
What are the Tips to Wash Your Face Well?
- Wash your face two times every day to keep the skin clean
- Refrain from using bar soap to clean your face it makes it dry
- Avoid using cleaning products that have harsh chemicals or alcohol.
- Avoid over cleaning your face
- Before you buy any facial cleaning product, you should be aware of your skin type to obtain a product that suits your skin type.
- Your face needs to be exfoliated ones or twice a week by using moderate exfoliators to remove dead skin.
What are Blackish Spots on Your Lips?
The presence of spots that are black on your lip occurs frequently. Most of the people who tend to have them appear to be conscious since it has a negative influence on their facial appearance.
Others may find the presence of the black spot to be embarrassing. Some factors that cause the discoloration of your lips are; eating habits, exposure to medication and modern lifestyle. There are many home concoctions that can help remove the black spot.
What are the Treatments for Black Spots on Your Lips?
1. With the Aid of Lemon Juice
It is one of the best organic home concoction for black spots. It is a bleaching agent that can help you remove the spots. Rubbing the lemon juice on the spot before having a nap every night will help the patch to start appearing light with time.
2. Use Beetroots or Apple Cider Vinegar
They are suitable bleaching agents that will return your lips to its natural color.
3. Maintain a Diet that is Healthy
It means you should drink adequate water in order to you allow your body to stay hydrated the whole day. Also, you should never consume hot meals the high temperature aggravates the black spot on your lips. A limit on the consumption of coffee and tea is also recommended, Take a cup per day. The consumption of iron should also be reduced mostly if you are on supplement medication. Also, you should check the medication you are taking; they may be the cause of the black spot as a means of showing the side effects of the drug.
4. Eat Food Rich in Vitamin C
In case you are a smoker, you should make a habit of including Vitamin C in every meal you take. The reason behind it is that this vitamin is important for producing collagen. Collagen is vital in the creation of new tissues, in case the lips are stained and chopped a more colorful skin will replace the fresh tissue.
5. Apply Glycerin and Rose Petals Mixture
Applying glycerin and rose petal to your lips before going to bed is recommended too. Rose petals are an effective tinge remover on your lips, mostly the ones caused by smoking.
6. Seal the Spot
You can cover it up with lipstick. Bright lipstick like deep purple or red is a good fit. Avoid old and expired lipstick like the plague.
7. Use Chapstick
It helps you avoid licking or biting your lips and also moistens your dry lips.
8. Avoid Exposure to the Sun
Scorching sun makes the lips dry and brings black spots on the lip. Thus there is need to avoid too much exposure to hot sun. This can be done by putting on lip gloss or moisturizer. Vaseline can also come in handy to keep your lips moist.
9. Use Lip Care Products that are Recommended
Use lip care commodities from approved manufacturers. Your lips need to stay soft and moisturized all the time. You need to apply lip gloss, cold cream or clarified butter.
10. Use Apple Cider Vinegar or Beetroot
They are suitable bleaching agents and can bring back the natural colors of your lips
11. Visit a Dermatologist
In case the remedies mentioned above are not working. It is advisable for a doctor to do some test and find out the primary cause of the black spots and recommend a favorable medication.
What are the Causes of Blackish Spots on Your Lips?
a. Hormonal Imbalance. Thyroid imbalance in your hormone can make your lips to dry, and after a long time, the black spot may start appearing.
b. Vitamin B Deficiency. This cause angular cheilitis that has features of cracking and inflammation on the corner of the lips. It may even result in a fungal infection.
c. Use of Expired Lipstick. The use of expired lipsticks has products that can harm your lips thus they cause black spots.
d. A Dental Fixture that is not Fit Well. In case of such scenario, there is need to see a dentist find out as to where the fixture is the cause of the blackish spots on the lips. In case they are the problem, there is need to fix them correctly, and the spot will be removed by use of a laser surgery.
e. Dried Lips. Dried lips make you remove the upper skin from your lips, and this leaves a chance for infection on lips. There are high chances that blackish spots may appear too.
f. Too Much Pigment Disposition. At times the black spots on your lips can be caused by too much pigmentation.
g. Cancer. Black spots may be an indication of cancer of the lips. Although such situations are rare. It usually affects the lower lip; it may be accompanied by some lumps. Cancer may occur in your skin if it mostly disclosed to the sun. The people more likely to get this cancer are individuals with outdoor jobs.
h. Smoking or Drinking. Nicotine leads to staining of your lips which can later result in the development of the blackish spots.
i. Frequent lip licking and biting
j. Taking hot caffeinated drinks like coffee
How to Protect your Skin While in Workplaces like Factories?
Most of the contacts at work in factories, hospitals and doing household chores at home can cause skin disease. Frequent contact with irritants, wet work, and allergen at the workplace may also lead to irritant allergic contact dermatitis and irritant contact dermatitis.
You should use technical protective measures, protective gloves, and protective clothing, and skin protection creams to protect your skin. The measures below should be put into consideration to help protect your skin:
- After you are through with work that needs skin protection, you need to wash your hands and apply emollient.
- You need to apply the protection cream as soon as you start working and every 2 to 4 hours in the workplace. There is no need to apply it each time you wash your hands.
- In case of any known allergies, you should choose a product that has none of the product you are allergic to. For example, in case you are allergic to fragrance, select a product without it.
- Make sure you are using a protection cream and not just an emollient that is if you have contact with any harmful substances at work.
- You should choose a product that will help protect your skin from the harmful substance you are facing. For instance, there is a substance used to protect your skin from water-soluble substance, while others are made to avoid feeling irritation after contact with oil. Thus a product designed to protect you from the oily substance cannot be used to protect you from water-soluble irritants
According to research, the skin takes 15% of our body weight. Skin plays a major in the human body by providing protect the inner body organs and removal of waste materials through its pores. Thus it should be taken care of to achieve a healthy well-being.
The skin can be taken care well by use of the locally available ingredients. It is not a must for you to purchase expensive products. It is not a must for you to purchase expensive products. you can also go through with this Sudden Change Under Eye Firming Serum review that may help you to overcome the skin problems like aging, wrinkles, dark circle etc.
Feature image: Shutterstock.com
In-Post Image: Shutterstock.com & visually.com