The skin is the largest organ of the human body. Apart from being the largest, it is also one of the most complex in its structure and functioning. Not everyone has the same type of skin. Skin types vary depending on a number of factors.
What is your Skin Type?
Knowing your skin type is very important. This is because it determines what oils, creams and lotions you use on your body. Different substances react differently on different skin types. Knowing your skin type also helps you to take care of your skin in a better and more effective manner. For instance if you know that you have dry skin type, you will use moisturizers to keep it healthy and rejuvenated. The basic skin types are oily, dry, normal and combination.
How to Determine your Skin Type?
To determine what kind of skin you have, you do need to go to a doctor. A few simple steps can give you the answer you want. These steps are outlined below
- Gently wash your face to get rid of dirt and make up that have build up on your face during the day. To completely get rid of makeup, you can use a cleanser
- Dry your face by patting it with a soft absorbent towel or cloth
- Give your face an hour to return to its normal and natural state. During this time, you should not touch it. Simply act normal until the hour is up
- Take a white tissue and dab your face with it. In particular, dab the area between your forehead and the nose or the ‘T-Zone’
- If the skin feels smooth and it does not flake, then you have a normal skin type. The tissue should not have anything on it. Normal skin type I considered to be the best. If the tissue contains grease then you have an oily skin type. If you look closely at your face, you will notice that it is shiny and has large pores. For those with a dry skin types, the tissue will contain flakes of dead skin cells. A combination skin type will display all characteristics associated with other skin types
- There are two more categories that you should be on the lookout for. These are problem skin types. Sensitive skin type will react violently to most skin products. The second problem type is the acne-prone skin type
Face Skin Types
Skin on the face is usually very sensitive and has to be well taken care of. Different face skin types have different traits and react differently to skin products.
- Normal Skin Type – This is the best skin type one can have. It is characterized by very few or completely no imperfections, it is not severely sensitive, the pores are barely visible and the complexion is radiant. Basically, the skin is neither too oily nor too dry
- Dry Skin Type – This skin types have very little oil on it. Traits include very small pores that are almost invisible, visible lines on the skin, a rough and dull complexion, red patches on the skin and lower elasticity level
- Oily Skin Type – Characterized by an abundance of oil on the skin. It has large pores that are easily visible, a thick and shiny complexion and a lot of blemishes on the skin. These blemishes may include pimples, acne or blackheads
- Combination Skin Type – This type is dry to normal in some areas and oily in others. It is the most common face skin type. It has dilated pores, shiny complexion and some blemishes may occur on the face
- Sensitive Skin Type – This is the most complex skin type to take care of. It reacts very easily to a wide range of skin care products. It can turn red or get rashes. This type of skin usually requires professional help to maintain and keep it healthy
- Aging or Sun Damaged Skin – The sun and aging are two factors that are deteriorating to our skin. The sun emits ultra violet rays which damage the skin. Aging reduces the ability of the skin to regenerate. This type of skin will have a lot of blemishes such as age spots and sun spots
Tips to Keep Skin Healthy
All the above skin types need a certain level of care. Below are some general skin care tips.
- Get help from a dermatologist. Before you start using a certain regimen of skin care products, consult a dermatologist and get to know what is best for you
- Drink a lot of water. Regardless of the skin type, water is important. It keeps the skin healthy, bright and turgid. It is important in maintaining skin elasticity
- Eat healthy. Poor nutrition can have a damaging effect on the skin. Ensure that you take a balanced diet. Vitamin C is especially important for skin nutrition
- Use the right products for your skin type. This is why you should determine your skin type first before using any product
Each skin type requires more specific care techniques. The above are simple general skin care methods.