Your skin care routine, diet and lifestyle during your younger days affect the quality of skin you will have when you reach your 40s and 50s. What if you did not take care of your skin properly in your 20s? Does that mean you will wake up in your 40s and 50s with a damaged skin beyond repair? Do not worry because it is never too late to start practicing good habits even when you are already past your early 20s and 30s to achieve a healthy, glowing and supple skin in your middle adulthood.
There are 10 things you need to hit your goal and there are divided to 2 groups: 5 habits to start and 5 habits to stop.
- Start Cleansing Your Skin Properly – Begin and finish your day with a clean skin. A clean layer of skin not only feels good but also facilitates better absorption of skin care products. Cleanse your skin after waking up and before going to bed using a cleanser formulated for your skin type.
- Start Light Exfoliation Routine – Light exfoliation is not only for people in their teens, 20s and 30s. In fact, light exfoliation is necessary for people in their middle adulthood (40s and 50s) to remove* dead skin cells. Light exfoliation is safe for daily use. This habit unclogs your pores and improves* your skin’s ability to absorb products used, resulting to glowing, healthy skin. Look for skin care products with ingredients such as alpha or beta hydroxy acids, lactic acid or salicylic acid.
- Start Picking Your Skin Care Products Properly – Being a wise shopper of skin care products can be time consuming, but this will save your skin a great deal of chaos later on. Skin care specialists say that you only need 5 staples for your skin, namely a gentle cleanser, moisturizer for your skin type, effective sunblock and light exfoliating product. These products, when wisely picked, will lead you to have a better skin in your 40s and 50s.
- Start Layering Skin Care Products Correctly – Yes, there is a proper way of layering your skin care products. To maximize the effects of your skin care items, apply the product with the lightest consistency first and go thicker as you proceed. Start with gels and serums, then proceed to creams and lotions and apply sunblock last.
- Start Wearing Sunscreen Each and Every Day – Sunblock sits atop your skin protecting it against the harmful UVA and UVB rays of natural daylight, which cause sun spots, wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet, sunburn, and skin cancer. Most of the skin problems people have are caused by going out in the sun unprotected. This is why you need to wear sunscreen every day of your life if you want your skin to remain healthy 20 years from now.
- Stop Bad Lifestyle – Smoking, inadequate sleep, insufficient water intake and excessive alcohol hasten skin aging by increasing* the production of free radicals that destroy collagen. So if ever you are guilty of a having a negative lifestyle, stop them altogether now and switch to good practices.
- Stop Procrastinating – Unwashed make up brushes, pillow cases and bed sheets all contribute to bacteria, oil and dirt build-up on your skin, clogging your pores and providing you blackheads, whiteheads and pimples. A clean skin is useless if the environment is dirty. Wash your make up brushes after every use and your bed essentials every 2 weeks.
- Stop Going to Bed with Soiled Skin – By now you already know that going to sleep with makeup harms your skin in the long run. The thing is even if you stay indoors all day, you still need to cleanse your skin before a peaceful night sleep. Impurities such as dirt, oil build up, and bacteria harbor your skin as you proceed with your routine, leaving your skin dull and dirty at the end of the day.
- Stop neglecting Your Hands, Ears, Neck and Chest – Your face is not the only part of your skin that needs protection. Areas such as neck, ears, chest and hands are often excluded when applying sunscreen. They also get the same amount of damage from UV rays, so why neglect them? In or outside the comfort of your house, apply sunblock with at least an SPF of 30.
- Stop Rough Handling – Pulling, tugging, exaggerated facial exercises, and aggressive application of skin care products can add years on your skin. Always be gentle on your skin if you want avoid harsh consequences.