Other than your regular skincare regimen that comprises of a cleanser, moisturizing cream with an SPF protection or the occasional facial masks, a toner should be on your top list, according to cosmetic experts. This is because a toner helps in balancing the oiliness and dryness of your skin. It has been shown that Toners help in the fight against acne particularly in teenagers. In addition, they create a refreshing feeling such as the one associated with sea breeze. As if the two aren’t enough, Erin Gilbert, a dermatologist in New York City, says that toners also have other skin benefits.
1. What are the Important Facts about Toners?
Most people used to believe that Toners help in balancing the pH as well as aid* the removal of dirt and other impurities from your skin that a cleaner couldn’t. However, according to Ruthie Harper, from the Laser and Skincare Clinic in Austin, most toners you will find in the market today are packed with hydrating ingredients to help in the treatment and soothing of your skin.
2. Are Toners Fit for all Skin Types?
Gilbert says that you can find the right toner depending on your skin type. All you should look for is a toner that matches your skin type and suits its needs. If you have oily skin, look out for toners that are based on alcohol. These are ideal for facilitating the removal excess oil that triggers breakouts particularly for people with acne-prone skin types. If your skin suffers dryness, use toners that contain active ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid or glycerin that are great moisturizers.
You May Like To Read – Will Alcohol-Based Products Help to Dry up Oily Skin?
3. What Essential Ingredients a Toners Must Contain?
The active ingredients in a toner are what count the most, according to skincare experts. In selecting a toner, go for ones that are rich in:
- Brightening Agents: These include orange extracts.
- Essential Vitamins: These include good anti-aging vitamins like vitamins A and E, which according to Harper have strong hydrating abilities for a youthful skin.
- Chamomile: This along with other plant-based extracts produces* calming effects on your skin especially if you are prone to inflammation or redness.
- Antioxidants: These are ideal for fighting free radicals that cause inflammation and help in the removal of toxins: examples include extracts from tomatoes or bergamot.
- Aloe Vera: It has been in use for centuries in the treatment of several skin conditions such as inflammation and redness. Additionally, it speeds up recovery period of the skin which is crucial in diminishing* scars from injuries.
4. What is the Right Time to Use Toners?
Toners can be used at any time regardless of weather or time of the day. You must have noticed that skin breakouts usually happen when the weather is warm unlike during cold seasons. The good news is that with the help of a toner containing salicylic acid, you can avert breakouts, especially in warm and hot seasons, as helps clear your pores.
This doesn’t mean you should skip a toner in winter when the air is dry. Skin care experts recommend that you should tone your skin, particularly when traveling. This is because the in-flight air is usually dry but with the help of a toner, it will be easier to cleanse your skin and keep it moisturized for a refreshed look.
5. Can You Use Toners with Other Products?
Cosmetic experts say that it is safe to combine toners with other skin care products. As earlier stated, the active ingredients in toners or other products are what define their efficiency. Since toners may not meet all the needs of your skin, it is recommendable to combine with others that are beneficial to your skin. To avoid undesired reactions or side effects from combinations, go for toners whose ingredients are all natural.
6. Should You Replace Toner with Daily Moisturizer?
According to Harper, you shouldn’t make toners a replacement to your daily moisturizer. However, you can go for a day without using a moisturizer if you have oily skin. But always ensure you wear a sunscreen on such days because a toner may not offer the protection. The best thing about the daily use of a moisturizer is because majority offer protection against harmful rays of the sun. Skipping your daily moisturizer would mean you are risking sun damage in case you forget to wear a sunscreen.
You have been depriving your skin a lot if a toner was missing in your cosmetic regimen. Other than helping in cleansing of your pores, a toner nourishes your skin with essential ingredients necessary for keeping you young and radiant. From its ingredients, you can easily judge the appropriate toner that matches you skin. Who knows? It could be that the toner lying unpicked in the supermarket is the key to a more attractive youthful look. After all, your skin requires a lot of attention if you want it to remain always beautiful.