At some point in their lives, most men will experience some problems with their prostate glands. The walnut-sized gland, which is part of the reproductive system and responsible for the production of semen, usually starts to become enlarged after the age of 40 and during the following years continues to grow until by the age of 80, it can actually be as big as a lemon. This enlargement, called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (or BPH) may not be a cause for concern but it will create other problems for males.
The most common problems that are associated with an enlarged prostate are urinary-related. The reason for this is the position of the prostate, which is next to the urethra. When prostates becomes larger, they squeeze the urethra, causing several uncomfortable and often distressing conditions for males. The most common complaints include the need to urinate frequently, the inability to fully empty the bladder, burning or itching during urination and constant nighttime trips to the bathroom, leaving the sufferer deprived of a full night’s sleep. In addition to this, an enlarged prostate can be a source of embarrassment, particularly when it causes unexpected ‘’dribbling” in public.
While these conditions are certainly not life-threatening, neglecting an enlarged prostate, or one that is affected by Prostatitis, which is an infection in the gland, can lead to more serious issues, which in some cases may require surgery. It is best to start treating the problem as soon as it starts or, more ideally, prevent the condition in the first place. Instead of using RX medications, which sometimes carry unpleasant effects, many men are turning to natural supplements for relief and there are many different brands currently on the market to choose from. But, just as some men are not even sure what the prostate actually does, it can be equally hard to know exactly which ingredients to look for in a supplement.
Here are just a few of the essential key ingredients that should be part of all good quality prostate health supplements.
- Saw Palmetto : This ingredient is probably one of the more well-known and commonly used for the treatment of BPH. The plant-based substance has long been used in traditional remedies for its superior benefits in improving urinary flow and in decreasing the frequency of urination.
- Beta Sitosterols: These phytosterols play an important role in reducing prostate inflammation which, in turn, lessens the pressure on the urethra. It too supports a strong flow of urine, helping to completely empty the bladder every time a male urinates.
- Zinc: The mineral zinc is found in many male health supporting supplements. Although it is found in many foods, some men simply don’t get enough in their diets, leading to declines in reproductive health. Zinc helps all organs, including the prostate, to function at optimal levels and low levels of this vital mineral are strongly associated with an enlarged prostate gland.
- Selenium: Although only small amounts of Selenium are required by the body, it is extremely important in providing antioxidant protection, which prevents the prostate cells from having oxidative damage.
- Pumpkin Seed Powder: A popular member of the squash family, Pumpkin Seed Powder is rich in phytosterols which, as we’ve seen, support a healthy prostate gland. This ingredient also helps to inhibit the male hormone testosterone from converting to DHT, a substance that is responsible for several health conditions in older men, including enlarged prostates.
- Lycopene: Derived from the common tomato, Lycopene is a powerful Carotenoid that prevents cellular overgrowth in the prostate. The compound also has antioxidant properties that protect the gland from free radical damage.
- Pygeum Bark: This natural bark not only helps to treat BPH and the emptying of the bladder but it also acts as a strong anti-inflammatory and is thought to have a positive effect on sexual function, too.
- Nettle Root: An extract of stinging nettle, this has been used for centuries as a traditional remedy for an enlarged prostate, and with good reason. It helps to reduce urinary urgency and slows the growth of unhealthy prostate cells. It works particularly well in formulas that contain Saw Palmetto, providing a powerful defense against prostate enlargement.
In addition to containing these beneficial ingredients, consumers should ensure that the brand they opt for is made by a reputable manufacturer under FDA regulated facilities and has proof of effectiveness through clinical or scientific data. Products should also have a good money back protection plan, allowing consumers to see how well they work for their particular conditions.
Of course, using supplements does not mean that users should avoid having their prostate glands checked on a regular basis by a medical professional, something that is vital in detecting other, possibly more serious conditions. But using a good quality, premium supplement does ensure that the prostate gland receives all of the ingredients that are necessary to keep it functioning at a healthy, optimal level well into old age. Below, you will find some of the most effective prostate products on the market today.
Prostate health is of great concern for men today. Preventative measures may reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer and improve overall prostate health and function. A quality, premium prostate supplement may shrink the prostate, minimize frequent urination, promote sexual function and contain quality ingredients.
Below you’ll find some of the most effective prostate supplements on the market today, in our opinion.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Result may vary. If you have a serious medical condition, or have a history of heart conditions we suggest consulting with a physician before using any supplement. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purpose only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease and should not be relied upon as a medical advice. Always consult your doctor before using any supplements.
*Disclosure of Material connection: Some of the links in the post above are “associate sales links.” This means if you can click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”