Nothing should surprise mothers anymore. The baby is now ready for life in a new, different environment, and it is just a matter of time how long he/she will hide in the uterus. The frequency of the Braxton-hicks contraction is increased, and they also last longer. Mothers might notice vaginal secretion, which is the first sign that the time has come. This article provides an overview on the fetal development, maternal changes, signs and symptoms and some interesting facts about the 37th week of pregnancy.
Did you know that your feet can grow up to one full shoe-size during pregnancy?
Height – 19.13 inches 48.6 cm
Weight – 6.30 pounds 2859 grams
What Happens to the Baby?
The fetus practices breathing for quite some time now by inhaling quantities of amniotic fluid. On the other hand, the womb is getting smaller and tighter, so babies tend to move more. The baby is fully developed, and all systems and organs function as needed. Growth in both height and weight starts declining, and by the time pregnancy ends, babies are just getting ready for the life outside. The baby’s bones are not fully hardened, which will happen after childbirth.
What Happens to The Mother?
The race is on. There is no more risk of prematurely birth, and mothers can expect to go to labor any day. During this week, vaginal check at the gynecologist is recommended, so she can examine if the cervical is opened or loosed, and also check baby position.
Increased vaginal secretion is common for this period. Mothers still also experience increased back pain, especially in the lower part just under the pubic bone, which shouldn’t surprise anyone, considering the weight they carry. Sleeping and resting should be made as comfortable as possible. One tip could be is to put pillows under the back and between knees. Mothers feel more baby movements, so try to cherish these moments, as they will be gone after childbirth.
Dreams become more and more intense, due to the increased the concern and anxiety of childbirth and becoming a mother. Mothers-to be should try to sleep during the day as well, and get as much rest as possible but avoid sleeping during late afternoons to avoid sleeping problems towards the night. This is also the perfect time to start preparing for childbirth, and this applies to having the clothes for childbirth ready.
Tips at 37th Week of Pregnancy
During this week mothers feel surge of energy. They start cleaning the house, and feel need for to do everything in the house. However, mothers-to-be should let their body get the much needed rest and use this last period to relax as much as possible. The days of relaxing are almost over, and the next phase of motherhood is on the way.
Additional information: Tips to Boost* Chances for Twins
First, future mothers need something to acknowledge, and that is, getting pregnant with twins is very, very rare. According to latest statistics in the US, twins are born in only 3% of all childbirths. Nevertheless, everything is possible. Here are some ways that can help improve* the chances of conceiving twins.
- Older woman have higher chances for conceiving twins than younger women. Scientists believe that just before a woman enters her pre-menopause, ovaries release more than one egg monthly. There is also a surge of estrogen, which influences the increased chances of having twins.
- African/American women have higher chance for having twins.
- Trying to conceive the moment you stop taking the pill. For the first cycles, the body goes through a hormonal readjustment phase, which also boosts* the chance for twins.
- Continue breastfeeding. Women produce more prolactin during this period, which boost* chances for twins. Even though some women do not resume regular ovulation, trying to conceive during breastfeeding is one of the ways to increase* chances for twins. Also, women who previously gave birth, have higher chances for twins the next time they get pregnant.
- Heavier women also have higher chances for giving birth to twins. This is related to the body mass index (BMI). Studies have shown that women with BMI of more than 30 have strong likelihood to conceive with twins. As strange as it sounds, bigger body means that there is more room for twins, and the brain reacts to that.