At 15 weeks of pregnancy, the baby is as size of an apple. This article provides* an overview on the fetal development, maternal changes, signs and symptoms and some interesting facts about 15th week of pregnancy.
During the 15th week of pregnancy, the baby can sense the light and reacts by moving away from the light source when the tummy is shined by a flashlight.
Height of the baby: 4.5 inches
Weight of the baby: 70 grams
What Happens to The Baby?
In nearly all cases, the body systems of the baby start to function at 15th week. Facial muscles are flexing which explains why baby can exhibit grimace or wince. The pancreas also begins to secrete insulin, a hormone that regulates the blood sugar level. The baby skin is so thin and translucent that you can actually see the blood vessels through it.
Meanwhile, the baby has already developed his/her sense of hearing but the external ears are not in their right places, so they are in the process of moving towards the nose from the sides at 15th week. Furthermore, the bones are ossified; meaning when they are to be taken in X-ray, bones would be apparent. However, the eyelids remain shut but the baby can already sense light. If someone shines a flashlight at a pregnant mother’s tummy, the baby moves away from the beam.
What Happens to Your Body?
At 15th week of pregnancy, mother’s womb is growing up as evidenced by noticeable baby bump. The maternal body is also getting ready to kick off milk production. This explains why mothers sometimes notice nipple-level wet spots. This is very common and normal occurrence during the 15 weeks of pregnancy. Also, anytime during this period, mothers begin to make colostrums, a protein-rich fluid that is rich of antibodies.
Mothers may also begin to experience Braxton-Hicks contraction which is sometimes called ‘false labor’ or ‘practice contraction’. Described as irregular, weak and not severely painful, Braxton-Hicks contractions prepare the woman’s body for labor and delivery, soften the cervix and increase* blood flow to the placenta which all make the actual labor less* painful.
Sometimes, moms-to-be feel their nose is stuffed up. This is called rhinitis of pregnancy as a result of increase* blood flow to mucous membranes and hormonal imbalance. Aside from that, mothers may also experience nosebleed episodes which are caused by blood vessel expansion in the nose.
Becoming Healthy and Fit @ 15 Weeks of Pregnancy
- Nutrition: Ensuring* proper nutrition is the most essential to-do list of pregnant mothers. Besides taking milk, fruits and vegetables, prenatal supplements especially folic acid should be given importance by moms-to-be since they play a major role in the brain’s growth and development of the baby. Since pregnant mothers might still experience flatulence and heartburn, they should stay away from fatty and spicy food sources. Junk foods should also be avoided since they are high in sodium content which can interfere with the baby’s kidney’s development.
- Drink Plenty of Water: In addition to maintaining body’s hydration status, drinking plenty of water can lessen pregnancy symptoms and reduce* the risk of acquiring complications. Lack of water in the body can lead to dehydration which can result in preterm labor. During summer, pregnant mothers should drink plenty of water given that they tend to sweat a lot.
- Attend Prenatal Care Appointments: Besides monitoring your health and the baby’s, the health care providers will also measure the fungal height during prenatal care assessments. Fundal height is the distance from the mother’s pubic bone to the fundus or top of the uterus. This is essential as it provides* insights about the position of the baby. A highly elevated measurement may indicate breech presentation, while it signifies that the baby is in lateral position if the fundal height is smaller than the average measurement.
Additional Info: How to Make a Baby Boy?
According to a new research, mothers can influence the gender of her baby by the food they eat.
- More than 50% of mothers who eat cereals daily are likely to conceive boys.
- Mothers whose diet consists of high in potassium and sodium have higher tendency to male birth.
The following are suggestions on how to conceive a baby boy the natural way:
- Mothers who consume high calorie intake before conception are likely to give male births.
- Banana, which is rich in potassium, can aid* in conceiving a baby boy.
- Mothers who drink more milk and other calcium-food source have higher chance of conceiving boys than those who have lesser intake of milk.
- Mothers who consume high glucose diet increase* the chance of getting a baby boy. WARNING: Mothers who have glucose intolerance should be careful about this tip.
- Sexual position that involves deeper penetration favors baby boys. This position involves rear-entry or more commonly known as ‘dog style’.
- The perfect timing for sex to conceive a baby boy is 1 to 2 days before ovulation.
- Ask husbands to wear boxers because Y-chromosomes are less* tolerant to heat.
- Tell your husband to drink a cup of coffee before sexual intercourse for added energy.
- Male partners should take down a cough syrup before sex since it can thin the cervical mucus making the environment favorable for sperm cells.
- Unromantic and unplanned sexual activity is likely to conceive a baby boy.