Arthritis can be defined as the disorder related to the joint. There are various types of arthritis, and one of the common types of arthritis is a degenerative joint disease. The degenerative joint disease is commonly seen among dogs when they start to age. Arthritis can cause troubles in case of human beings, and it can also cause trouble for dogs. The statistics show that 1 out of 5 dogs suffers from osteoarthritis. It shows how common osteoarthritis is among dogs.
You cannot just ignore your dog’s condition if they are suffering from arthritis, can you? To take care of your dog’s condition, you should first know about the signs of arthritis to know whether or not your dog is suffering from arthritis. Some of the signs of dog’s arthritis are stiffness, intermittent lameness, swollen joints, reluctant to move, and others. If you see these signs, then you should immediately consult a vet practitioner.
10 Ways to Help Arthritic Dogs
Let’s suppose your dog is suffering from arthritis. What will you do about it? You will provide prescribed medicines for your dog, but that is not enough. Here, we are providing you with 10 ways to help arthritic dogs.
1. Regular Checkups: You should not be careless regarding your dog’s condition. You should take your dog for regular checkups to allow the , veterinarian, to relieve your dog’s condition on a regular basis. On the basis of the report, the change in the treatment plan might be required.
2. Make your Dog Lose Weight: The study shows that high weight can make the condition worse for arthritis patients. You should try to decrease the weight of your pet for reducing the load on your dog’s joint. You should feed fine quality food in a right quantity to your dog.
3. Regular and Controlled Exercises: Staying passive will not help your dogs get better. You should make sure your pet is involved in regular exercises or hydrotherapy for dogs, and you should also monitor if your pet is properly walking, playing, or running. It is better to find a soft surface for your dogs for exercise. It is better to consult with your veterinarian for more suggestions.
4. Try to keep your Dogs away from Damp and Cold: It is not good for arthritic dogs to stay in damp and cold conditions. You should try to keep your dogs warm and dry. It is beneficial to apply warm compresses and to provide a padded dog bed.
5. Massage: The study shows that regular massage can significantly reduce the pain. You should consult with your veterinarian to find a professional animal massage therapist. Regular Pet massage can enhance your pet’s flexibility, well-being, and circulation.
6. Medications: There are plenty of drugs available in the market. You can consider using the medicines that are available in the market. The medicines may include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), disease-modifying osteoarthritis drugs (DMOADs), and others. These drugs can provide an improvement in your pet’s condition. It is also very important to consult your veterinarian to get the suggestion about the right drug.
7. Natural supplement: There are plenty of dog joint supplements available in the market, which can help your dogs to get adequate nutrients. The supplements can include Glucosamine and chondroitin. These supplements can play a role to enhance the mobility and functioning of dog’s joints.
8. Acupuncture: Acupuncture is gaining popularity in today’s world. It is not only helpful for human beings, but it can also help the arthritic dogs. This painless technique has been effective in providing relief for the dogs, suffering from arthritis.
9. Surgery: Surgery may be an option if your dog is in an advanced stage of arthritis. However, you should first know about the advantages and disadvantages of surgery before moving forward with the surgery. You should consult with your veterinarian to decide whether surgery is needed or not.
10. Adjust the environment in your home: The final tip on the list is the adjustment in your home environment. You can provide supporting bedding to increase your dog’s comfort, and you can also use the ramp to make it easier for your dog to get in and out of your car or bed.
The 10 ways listed in this article are very easy to apply, and they are very effective too. Arthritis can cause lots of trouble for your dogs. You always want your dog to be active, isn’t it? However, arthritis can keep your dogs passive. The study shows that the dogs suffering from arthritis are 33% less active. I believe this fact concerns you. However, it should not make you lose your heart because there are solutions, which can help you out.
If you apply the tips listed in this article, then you can definitely improve the quality of your pet’s life.