EstroMend is an all-natural health supplement formulated by Dr. Joseph J. Collins, RN, ND that claims to provide relief for all the symptoms caused by decreased estrogen function in the body (as what happens during menopause). It is usually used as adjuvant (booster) therapy for those who are undergoing HRT. EstroMend is a product of Douglas Laboratories and it currently sells for 51.40 USD per bottle.
EstroMend promises to relieve a wide array of symptoms that come with decreased estrogen levels. However, there are questions that every menopausal woman would seek to answer before believing the product’s claim: Is EstroMend for menopause effective? Is it safe to use? What are its advantages and disadvantages to menopausal women?
The following statements aim to shed some light on the matter.
How Does It Rate?
- Supports healthy estrogen receptor function and healthy metabolism of estrogens.
- Contains soy-free combination is designed to support healthy estrogen function.
- GMP registered and GMO-free.
- 30-day refund policy.
- Black Cohosh Extract
- Schizandra Fruit Extract
- Sage Leaf
- Gotu Kola
- Dong Quai
- Pueraria Root Extract
- Red Clover
- Free from substances which often cause allergies in a number of people; contains no soy, no wheat, no yeast, no gluten, no milk/dairy, no corn, no sugar, no starch, no sodium, no artificial coloring, no flavouring nor preservatives.
- May be used with bioidentical hormone therapy or without.
- Better than estrogen (estradiol) because it has other functions such as: it is anti-inflammatory; it has calming, sedating and anti-anxiety properties; it promotes 2-hydroxylation pathway which increases good estrogens; and it has anti-proliferation, anticancer properties (as claimed).
- Contains herbs that are especially helpful in promoting cardiovascular health.
- It is available online only
- Exact ratio of ingredients are not disclosed
How Does EstroMend Work?
As stated in its product data (but explained here in a simplified form), EstroMend is a Hormone Specific Formulation that is composed of a combination of herbal extracts that promote healthy metabolism of estrogens and support optimal estrogen receptor function in the body.
The combined effects of these herbs ultimately lead to the promotion of the optimal or healthy function of estrogen in the body.
EstroMend Ingredients – Are They Safe and Effective?
As according to the product’s site, EstroMend was formulated by Dr. Collins after years of clinical research and experience.
Dr. Collins is proud to say that his product is composed of herbal extracts carefully chosen and researched – These natural substances have specific powerful effects on the human body. These extracts are as follows:
Black Cohosh Extract (Cimicifuga Racemosa)
– Is believed to decrease hot flushes; it also relieves cramps, spasms, and inflammation because it increases blood flow to the pelvic area.
Schizandra Fruit Extract
– Has neuro-cognitive and cardiovascular effects to the body.
Sage Leaf (Salvia officinalis)
– Sage Leaf, as explored in our comprehensive article on MenoRescue, presents a natural remedy rich in potential benefits for managing menopause-related discomfort. With its compounds addressing hot flashes, mood swings, and more, Sage Leaf offers holistic support for women during the menopausal journey. It also has positive cognitive effects to the brain.
Gotu Kola (Centella Asiatica) Extract
– An herb used to improve cognitive function, especially memory.
Dong Quai (Angelica Sinensis) Root Extract
– Has estrogen-like effects on selective parts of the body; it is believed to help increase one’s libido and increase vaginal lubrication. It also has mild sedative and analgesic properties.
Hops (Humulus Lupulus) Extract
– Has a sedative effect; that’s why it’s helpful in managing menopause-related anxiety, restlessness and sleep disturbances.
Pueraria Root Extract
– Its isoflavones help decrease menopausal symptoms, it also protects the cardiovascular system and promotes healthy bone mineral density.
Bacopa (Bacopa monniera) Extract
– Is used in India to enhance one’s memory and treat insomnia. Although it does not bind to estrogen receptors nor is associated with any, it has estrogen-like properties responsible for helping the body adapt well to stress.
Red Clover (Trifolium Pretense) Extract
– Is used for hot flashes, breast tenderness, and PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
Q: What Are the Directions for Use?
A: EstroMend is actually consumed a little differently than other supplements. It has a new dosage protocol (Protocol 242) developed by Dr. Collins. This protocol divides the dosage of the product into three phases as described in the following:
- Phase 1: Initiation – One should take 2 capsules of the product in the evening for one-two weeks (with food).
- Phase 2: Restoration – One should take 4 capsules in the evening for two to four months. Again, with food.
- Phase 3: Maintenance – One goes back to taking 2 capsules in the evening as needed, with food.
Q: What Are the Precautions?
- This product is not intended for pregnant/nursing mothers.
- If one is taking a prescription medication, the manufacturer suggests that prior consultation with a physician must be done before taking the product.
- Anyone known to have an allergy to any of the product’s ingredients must not take it.
The capsules stick in your throat – awful.
Almost impossible to swallow. Those vegetarian capsules stick in your throat.
~ William Nunes.
Based on the product’s label, description, and website, EstroMend is indeed a well-developed and well-presented product.
Its natural ingredients are properly cited (together with clinical studies regarding each ingredient) and its functions, indications, formulation, suggested use, and storage instructions were well communicated to the public.
However, on the downside, there seems to be less response on the part of the target market regarding the product. Clinical studies regarding EstroMend – performed by bodies not associated with Douglas Laboratories – are elusive. Plus, consumer reviews are also not widespread.
Furthermore, although there is a lot of controversy regarding the link between phytoestrogens and hormone replacement therapy to breast cancer, not one statement on the product’s website has mentioned the topic.
Perhaps anyone who wants to use this product as a relief for menopause should do more thorough background checks and research about it before believing its claims. Also, you can check out other reviews to get a clear idea of other brands such as Estrobalance Review, and EstroG-100 Review.
Fortunately, natural therapies for menopausal symptoms such as weight gain, hot flashes, night sweats, decreased libido, and mood swings are available. Since many women experience weight gain during menopause, many natural menopause supplements contain herbs and botanicals that support a healthy metabolism. Menopause supplements should be evaluated on proven ingredients, ability to reduce hot flashes and night sweats, ability to provide hormonal balance and boost libido and its overall value.
Below you'll find some of the most effective menopause supplements on the market today, in our opinion.
Verdict on Claimed Benefits: Below is our summary of the available evidence for the claimed benefits of below mentioned menopause supplements and vitamins based on the available research: