Have you gained a little bit of weight without any special reason? Maybe you wonder if you have changed your diet but yet cannot remember the last time that you have had a tasty hamburger for lunch instead of a salad. And now you have found yourself standing in front of the weight scale, trying to get your favorite jeans to fit without any luck. Let’s us ask you this – how close are you to menopause? Does this term scare you in a way? Well, it should not. It is totally normal for any woman to experience the symptoms of menopause when she reaches the certain point of her life.
But if you are a few years away from menopause, then do you believe that by any chance you are in the period known as perimenopause? Is this the first time that you are hearing of this term? Do not worry, most women only acknowledge menopause and nothing in between. But there is always time to learn new and useful things. So let’s learn about perimenopause and its link with your unexplained weight gain. Not only that, we will learn about perimenopause and weight gain solutions as well so that you can get rid of that unwanted body weight and go back to feeling confident while wearing your favorite jeans again!
What is Perimenopause?
Before we go ahead with explaining what perimenopause is, let’s determine all the needed terms – premenopause, perimenopause and menopause. How many of these have you heard before? Premenopause is the period when you still get your periods, you are in your reproductive years without experiencing any of the symptoms characteristic for perimenopause and menopause. On the other hand, perimenopause is best described as a transition period after premenopause and before menopause. It is the period of your life when you still get your periods, however, your ovaries start producing less and less estrogen and this results in experiencing a few symptoms which are characteristic for menopause itself such as hot flashes, mood swings, sleep pattern changes and so on.
What we are most interested in is one symptom in particular and that is the weight gain. But we will talk about this in a few moments. It is usually the period in the 40s when women start to go through this period. And last but not least – menopause which we all know to be the period when our ovaries do not produce the needed amount of estrogen for the woman to be able to get pregnant. Apart from experiencing no periods, the women experience hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, mood swings, depression etc.
What Causes Weight Gain in Perimenopause ?
So what are the reasons for weight gain during perimenopause? Well, there are the hormonal changes that we blame of course. The hormonal changes are actually responsible for all symptoms that occur during the perimenopausal and menopausal period, including what interests us the most – the weight gain. Take estrogen levels for example. Since your ovaries decrease their estrogen production, your body searches for new resources. And the next resource in line is your fat. Now your body will do anything to keep the fat and increased its presence by increasing your appetite so that there are enough sources of estrogen produced.
Next is testosterone. Since your body has switched the way of production of estrogen, now it is under a lot of stress, which is accompanied by high cortisol levels and blood sugar imbalances. These changes only add up to the hormonal changes of the sex hormones – estrogen and testosterone, causing your body to hold even harder to your fats. Stress has a huge role in this process as well.
When your body is under a lot of stress – physical and mental, its cortisol levels start to increase, blocking the process of weight loss. This can only result in increased appetite and even unexplained weight loss even though you have stuck to your exercise and diet routine. But enough about the causes, let’s see what we can do to prevent this unexplained weight loss offering you some highly efficient perimenopause weight gain solutions!
How to Prevent Weight Gain During Perimenopause?
What we will share are not only ways to prevent and solutions to the weight gain during perimenopause, instead of these are tricks and tips that will help you to better manage all of the common symptoms that occur during the period of perimenopause. You will learn that small and perhaps meaningless things in the everyday life can actually be the answer that you have been looking for!
- Watch your weight – Talk to a professional that can determine your ideal body weight and suggest ways to reach and then maintain that same weight.
- Think about the way you eat– Once you step over the age of 40, your body losses its abilities to process junk food as before. This only means one thing – if you want to watch your weight and avoid unexplained weight gain then you should think twice before choosing a hamburger over a fresh salad for lunch. Increase the number of fresh fruits and vegetables, home cooked meals and decrease the number of hamburgers, pizzas, pasta and so on and you should not have any trouble with preventing weight gain.
- Stop smoking– Are you a smoker? Because if you are, you should think about giving up this awful habit of yours. This will not only help you to gain a better control over your perimenopause and menopause symptoms, but it will also help you to improve your health in general and increase your chances for a happy and healthy life!
- Create a sleep schedule– Reduce the stress on your body and mind and avoid any sleep difficulties by creating a sleep schedule and sticking to it. Make sure that you sleep no more than 8 hours a day, every day. Sleeping too much can be just as dangerous as no sleep at all. Drinking a hot cup of chamomile tea before bed is supposed to help you to conquer your insomnia.
- How many coffees do you drink?– Limit yourself to one cup of coffee a day. This will not only help you stop the unexplained weight gain, but it will also help you to get over the sleeping problems that you might have been dealing with as a part of perimenopause.
- Try meditation – Take the time to relax both your body and mind through meditation. Perhaps you can even try yoga as well. Take a break from the stressful schedule and complete a 5 to 10 minutes a day a peaceful meditation session.
Going through perimenopause and menopause is not an easy thing to do and we should congratulate all women to have the power to conquer all those body changes and still be able to go on with their everyday lives. But we can do something else apart from congratulating them. We can also help them by sharing efficient solutions on the topic of perimenopause and menopause and that is exactly what we have done in this article.
If you have read our article then you have acknowledged all the information about perimenopause and weight gain solutions that we have shared with you. And we honestly hope that we have helped you and made your transition from perimenopause to menopause a lot easier!