What are Vacuum Constriction Devices?
Vacuum constriction devices are also be referred to as vacuum pumps or penis pumps. These devices include a cylinder with an opening on one end and a pump on the other. A constriction ring is also part of the package. These devices are used to mechanically induce erections in patients suffering from erectile dysfunction by using negative pressure to create a vacuum in the cylinder. This leads to increased blood flow into the penis hence an erection is obtained and can be maintained using the constriction ring.
Vacuum constriction devices are FDA approved. Nevertheless, over the years, similar devices which are not FDA approved have been manufactured to aid masturbation and add a little spice to one’s sex life. Therefore, to be on the safe side, get the devices from your doctor or a reputable pharmacy.
How do Vacuum Constriction Devices Work?
Vacuum devices are very easy to use. However, most doctors recommend that patients who want to use the device should get proper instructions and demonstration videos at the doctor’s office. They also advise that the patient’s partner should tag along for spouse orientation and so on. Vacuum constriction devices should be used as follows:
- Insert your penis into the cylinder through the aperture.
- Pump air out of the cylinder to create a vacuum using the pump handle on the other end. Make sure your other hand is holding the cylinder in place. Pumping may not be necessary if your device is run by batteries.
- Pumping out air to create an erection may take up to ten minutes. Once the erection has been achieved, remove the cylinder from your penile shaft.
- Slide the constriction ring at the far end of your penis away from the tip. Use a lubricant if necessary.
Vacuum constriction devices work by drawing blood into the penis using negative pressure. The constriction band is used to maintain the erection by preventing blood flow out of the penis. As a safety measure, this band should only stay on for twenty to thirty minutes.
Who are the Best Candidates for Vacuum Constriction Devices?
Vacuum constriction devices are a safe and effective for a majority of men suffering from erectile dysfunction. They are particularly recommended for:
- Men who suffer from erectile dysfunction due to poor blood flow into the penis.
- Men who suffer from erectile dysfunction as a result of psychological distresses such as stress and depression.
- Men who are diabetic.
- Men who have gone through surgery for the prostrate or colon.
Vacuum constriction devices are not recommended for erectile dysfunction patients who suffer from the following:
- Congenital bleeding disorders.
- A history of priapism (prolonged and painful erections).
- Diminished penile sensation.
- Significant penile curvature due to conditions such as Peyronie’s disease.
- Patients using blood thinning medication.
What are the Side Effects of Using Vacuum Constriction Devices?
Men using vacuum pumps may experience side effects especially if instructions on use are not followed to the later. These side effects are not fatal and may not even need medical attention. They include:
- Bruising of the penis
- Numbness of the penis
- Changes in penile appearance and temperature
- Slow ejaculation due to the use of the constriction band
- Pain due to tightness of the constriction band (in this case, patients should try to find a set that comes with a constriction band that is the perfect fit)
How much do these Devices Cost?
Vacuum devices are quite affordable and can cost about $200 to $500 depending on the brand.
Are Vacuum Constriction Devices Really Effective?
Up to eighty percent of men who use vacuum constriction devices report that they are highly satisfied with the results. Vacuum pumps are an effective way of treating erectile dysfunction as they help men achieve and maintain erections for a satisfactory sex life. However, there have been cases of dissatisfaction. The most common reasons cited are inadequate rigidity, failure to ejaculate and difficulty in successfully incorporating the device into one’s sex life. All in all, vacuum pumps have come of age and have proved to be highly effective with minor hitches. Therefore, the best way to know if they are right for you is to give them a try keeping in mind your doctor’s instructions and safety measures.
In conclusion, vacuum constriction devices are one of the best ways to deal with erectile dysfunction. They are safe, easy to use, highly effective and affordable. In addition, a number of users have reported satisfaction. One only needs to consider the instructions to avoid any negative effects. Furthermore, some users tend to overlook their partner’s opinions and how to introduce it into their sex lives. The best way to handle this is by communicating openly with your partner, involving them in your orientation session and even allowing them to participate in the process by letting them assist you in the pumping process.