Erectile dysfunction or impotence is a medical condition characterized by the inability to get or maintain an erection. The condition can be quite embarrassing for men who are often reluctant to seek medical attention on issues such as this. However, the condition afflicts quite a number of men who are successfully living and coping with the condition.
What are the Problems Faced by Patients in Their Daily Lives?
Men suffering from erectile dysfunction often feel isolated, helpless and frustrated. A number of these men reveal that opening up to their partners, family and friends is not an option due to the embarrassment. In addition, most of them find it easier to simply end their romantic relationships. Erectile dysfunction patients who are brave enough to seek out medical help also express their frustration due to the failure of doctors to find what is causing the problem.
Some of the most common problems erectile dysfunction patients face include:
- Shock and humiliation
- Isolation due to the inability to open up
- Anxiety performance
- Relationship problems due to emotional disconnection with their partners
- Frustration and helplessness if their doctors cannot properly diagnose the condition
- Fears that their general health may be deteriorating
- Confusion as a result of being bombarded with all sort of herbal or home remedies
How is Impotence Treated?
The good news for any man living with erectile dysfunction is that the condition can be treated. Despite claims that some doctors disappoint, you can get proper help from a specialist particularly a urologist. Once you have made an appointment, the doctor will carry out several tests to find out what is causing the problem. An appropriate treatment plan will then be determined. Therefore, do not hesitate to seek medical attention and the sooner you do it the better. Impotence can be treated in the following ways:
- Vacuum constriction pumps which assist in the drawing of blood into the penis
- Testosterone replacement therapy if the problem is due to low testosterone levels
- Injections of papaverin, phentolamine or prostaglandins which induce blood flow into the penis
- Male Enhancement Products such as Male Extra; you must visit Male Extra Review
- Penile prosthesis
Types and Impact of Emotional Support
Men are generally known to withdraw and suffer in silence when they are facing problems. This is exquisitely manifested when they suffer from medical conditions such as impotence. However, emotional support is important to avoid escalating the problem further which can lead to depression. Therefore, seeking emotional support can be very soothing and aid in the healing process. The support of the woman in your life can be very comforting so make an effort to include her in the solution. In addition, talking to other men who have experienced the problem will make you feel less isolated and abnormal. Emotional support can be in form of:
- Professional Counseling
- Support groups such as the Impotence Society of London
- Talking to a loved one
- Online forums and email support groups for those who wish to be helped anonymously
- Seeking medical assistance from a specialist immediately
- Getting the much needed emotional support from loved ones instead of withdrawing
- Making lifestyle changes by exercising, eating healthier foods and taking dietary supplement like GNC Men’s Staminol. Poor lifestyle choices such smoking have been known to accelerate the problem
Does Having Erectile Dysfunction Have any Impact on a Man’s Family?
Erectile dysfunction can have both negative and positive impacts on a man’s family. A negative impact can be brought about if the man chooses to withdraw leading to emotional disconnection. Nevertheless, good things can result in this condition. Men who opt to open up to their family and lovers have been able to enjoy a deeper connection with their loved ones.
How to Cope with the Condition?
As far as coping with erectile dysfunction goes, it all boils down to three things really:
In conclusion, the internet is filled with touching stories of men living with erectile dysfunction. If you have the same problem, reading about other patients can be quit therapeutic. Also, sharing your story will make you feel so much better and encourage other men like you. In the war against impotence, never forget that you are not alone.