Women always want a pout on lips, lips that are naturally big and voluptuous but that don’t at all mean swollen lips, which is again a dark spot on the facial beauty. By swollen lips it means unusual bulge of the lips which is very oddly evident. This swelling on the lip generally occurs due to some kind of strain to the soft tissue of the lip. There are various causes for swollen lips which happens to be a very common syndrome, like severe climatic conditions, dehydration, dietary deficiencies, viral infection, external injury, dryness, insect bite, allergic reaction, use of noxious and withered lip care merchandise, etc.
What Are the Causes of Swollen Lips?
- Insect bite
- Allergic reaction through environmental factors or food
- Side effect of medications or drugs
- Hereditary disorders or other chronic diseases
- Bacterial infection
- Viral infection
- Deficiency of vitamin B
- Stress or injury on the lips
Just like other problems, swollen lips too have various stages of intensity and to treat them sanely, it is very important to know the exact cause of their occurrence. During high severity, swollen lips may also lead to bleeding cuts resulting in a lot of trouble and difficulty in eating, drinking, breathing or talking.
A disfigured swollen lip is not just awkward looking but painful too. There are definitely adequate medications for it, but some amazing natural remedies are too of great help.
Home Remedies for Swollen Lips
- Cold and Hot Compress
Applying cold compresses over the affected area in case of swollen lips can be relieving and calming at the same time. Just wrap a few ice cubes in a paper towel or a soft wash cloth and apply this pack on your lips compressing them softly. Repeat the process in regular intervals for quick relief. Do not use direct ice to avoid frost bites. Just as cold compress, hot compress would also help relieve the swelling on the lips as it will improve the blood flow resulting in reduction of puffiness. Take a soft cloth, soak it in hot water, remove the excess water and compress softly for good results.
- Salt and Witch Hazel
The home remedy of mix of witch hazel extracts and salt is extremely effectual in curing any kind of swelling. The mixture should be in the ratio of 2:1 and should keep on on lips for about 15-20 min and then washed away with cold water.
Turmeric has been since ages the best antiseptic due to curcumin in it. Turmeric’s therapeutic properties make it one of the best healing agents when it comes to topical wounds. It is this reason why you can use it to treat your swollen lips too. Turmeric powder is universally available in most of the grocery stores and you can make your own herbal ointment out of it. Turmeric powder, mixed with cold water and fuller’s earth can do wonders to heal swollen lips. It won’t just heal the wound, but also cure the infection if any.
- Tea Bag
Tea contains tannin which has excellent astringent properties. This is why black tea has also been used as an internal cleansing and digestive agent. In case of swollen lips, soak a tea bag in warm water. Keep it soaked for about ten minutes. Take the tea bag out and after letting it cool down, dab it on swollen lips very softly. Repeat the process in regular intervals for quick results.
- Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil
We have been reading and watching about the herbal values of tea tree and aloe Vera often. Aloe Vera heals up wounds and tea tree acts as an antiseptic. A mixture of both in say 2:1 ratio can heal up swollen lips rapidly. The mixture will not only cease the bleeding if any but also remove inflammation calming and cooling down the affected area. Apply the mixture on the swollen lips, let it dry and wash it off with cold water. Repeat the process according to the severity of the swelling on the lips.
Kitchen cuts and burns have always been of lesser pain due to the most kitchen friendly vegetable- potato. Grating the potato and applying the mash on the swollen lip for a while and washing it away thereafter can heal the swelling.
- Coconut Oil
Be it itchiness or burning sensation, we have seen coconut oil doing its job since childhood. In case of swollen lips, coconut oil will help in curing the irritation, calming down the swell bulge and will hydrate the dry areas letting the wound of the swollen lips heal in time.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is vastly suggested to take care of the state of swollen lips when the cause is some kind of allergic reaction, blister or insect bite. Mix some baking soda with water and apply the thick coat on swollen lips. Rinse it off with cold water after 5-10 minutes. The wound, itchiness, inflammation as well as pain will reduce drastically.
- Salt Water
Salt water is effective for swollen lips if the reason is some injury. The salt water will heal the swelling if regularly dabbed on the affected area with a cotton puff. It might cause some burning effect but surely heal up faster.
There are some other measures as well enlisted below to help you get rid of that unnecessary awkward bulge on your lips:
- Foods to Avoid: Identify the food that cause you allergies and avoid consuming those. Maintain a proper diet and avoid spicy food to get rid of swollen lips. Have nutritive and light food in order to let the swell heal down.
- Lipstick and Lip Balms: Go organic and use lip products and cosmetics that are natural instead of chemically composed. Harmful chemicals damage the delicate membrane of the lips destroying the tissues and finally leading to swelling and inflammation. Do not forget to check the originality and manufacturing date of the products that you use. Always take a guidance from your medical practitioner before opting for a product if you are prone to swelling of lips.
- Vitamin Rich Diet: Have a balanced and healthy diet to keep away from nutritional deficiencies. Your diet should be rich in vitamins, especially vitamin B and C. these will help in building tissues which are injured and withered away, healing the swelling at the same time.
To prevent is better than to cure, therefore even if you luckily, God forbid, haven’t suffered with swollen lips, to prevent this infectious problems and getting ever glowing lips, follow some DONTS strictly:
- Do not smoke
- Do not consume food that you are allergic to
- Do not apply mistrusted lip product
- Do not apply expire product
- Do not expose your lips to much of sunlight
- Do not share your lip product
- Do not consume extra spicy food
Remember, you yourself can take your care in the best of the ways. Take preventive measures to avoid awkward bulge on the lips and if it still occurs, consult your medical advisor before taking a step. Stay healthy, beautiful and smile wide!