What is Lip Numbness?
A condition where in one starts feeling an unnatural sensation on the lips is called the state of Numb lips. This sensation may vary in person to person depending upon the causes and intensity of the problem. If ever you have considered an irritable sensation, itching, wriggling, swelling, bleeding or irritation on your lips, it may be lip numbness. With taking good care and with knowing about it properly, you may get rid with lip numbness. Let’s discuss everything to help you find out solutions better*.
Symptoms of Numb Lips
Numb lips may accompany various symptoms. The mild ones can be lightly handled but the serious ones should be alertly and diligently taken care of.
- Sting sensation
- Redness on the lips
- Stability problems
- Tumbling unsteady walk and thus falls
- Thrashing of muscle coordination
- Altered bowel movements
- Problem in swallowing
- Problem in speaking or talking too
The causes that lead to Numb Lips are:
The causes of lip numbness may be mild or strong, depending upon the origin or the source. It might have occurred in recent times or it may even be chronic. Some of the causes discussed in details, below, may help you finding out your stage better*.
Allergies: Certain food or chemical reactions causing allergies may be one of the major reasons or causes to result in numb lips. Food allergies have been common and we have seen various effects due to the same, some internal like getting nausea, etc and some external like skin blisters, redness, rashes and of course tingling on lips that is, the numb lips. Allergies may even turn into lip numbness by the use of mistrusted lip products and cosmetics.
Dental Anaesthetics: Good teeth, denture and attractive lips, what a combination right? But the problem is that if we let too much happen at the same time, we may suffer with a lot of problems. We often go to a dentist getting rid of that aching tooth or the decay. The biggest of dental problems are now solved within some time and you don’t feel the pain too. Thanks to dental anaesthesia. But as soon as the anaesthesia is injected during a dental treatment, it causes its effect in the surroundings too. This may definitely lead to unintentional chewing of the lips, numbness, itching or irritation. Remember, post a dental checkup and do not chew your lips at least even if you don’t feel the pain due to anaesthesia.
- Over the Counter Medication: We keep on facing a lot of health issues making us follow a medication regime. Our doctor might have suggested us with over the counter medicines. The reasons can vary from sores, toothaches and cold sores as far as facial problems are considered. The medicines used for any reason might have some components that may lead to numb lips like that of benzocaine, commonly used in dental medicines. This might cause allergic or numb lips. Make sure you are not using reactive medications to avoid this.
- Hyperventilation: Over breathing leads to blowing of carbon dioxide which means more of alkali or acid formation in the body. This might result in tingling or numbness of lips, twitching of muscles or even tingling in toes and fingers.. So if you are touched by hyperventilation syndrome, you should take care going an extra mile for your lips too. We need to manage the pH levels of our body to avoid numbness of lips.
- Ciguatera Poisoning: With the fast growing world and busy lifestyle, we tend to consume certain edibles that aren’t good for our body and this is why we many times consume toxic in error in form of food or other sources. Plants like Glory Lily, wild mushrooms, etc. might result in numb lips. If you are fond of sea food, numb lips are common as sea food such as exotic fish or horse shoe crab might cause Ciguatera poisoning causing numb lips.
- Alcohol: Disproportionate and extreme utilization of alcohol could cause a loss of sensation in the body or its various parts, counting the lips too. Alcohol should therefore be very sensibly consumed; it won’t just help you with your numb lips but would also help you lead a comfortable and healthy life with the looks that you have always desired for like full and numb free lips.
- Surgical Procedures: Unfortunately as humans, we have to face many medical and dangerous encounters. Surgical procedures are one of those. Surgeries are common as well as easier these days but anaesthesia happens to be one of the most important components of a surgical procedure which ultimately leads to tingling or numbness in lips.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy brings its own blessings with a lot of issues that women have to bear all through the lucky welcome of the motherhood that is, the pregnancy. Lip numbness is not uncommon in women who are pregnant. This may be due to medications, formation of various acids and components inside the body, allergies or hormonal changes.
- Raynaud’s Phenomenon: This is a problem or says disorder that is categorized by the tapering and the constriction of blood vessels in the fingers toes as well as the face. Due to this the effect eventually turns up to lips causing numbness. Raynaud’s phenomenon is secondary to many autoimmune disorders such as lupus.
No matter how serious or problematic a situation is, there is always a way out. For numb lips too, there are some superb home remedies providing and helping you with quick recovery:
- Change your toothbrush regularly
- Avoid salty and acidic food
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Apply petroleum jelly on a regular basis (trusted brand)
- Vitamin B is helpful in lip numbness so make sure you include vitamin B rich diet
Remember, every problem has a solution, it’s just about how eager and quick you are in learning and applying things that are good for your health. Numbness of lips is curable and should be taken special care before it turns into a serious disorder.