Q: As the weather changes, my lip corner have cracks. They won’t seem to be healing. This problem is recurrent and the skin gets irritated with small cracks. There is no apparent reason for its return. Does anyone have a cure* for this?
Definitely! There is a cure* for every issue, but one need to diligently follow the measures. You will surely find a solution to your problem, just read on. Cracked and chapped lips are usually a result of dryness. The particular corner drying might be a condition of Angular Cheilitis that needs to be taken care of.
The skin of the lips may also peel off in some cases. When the lips become very dry, tiny tears may also appear on the surface and this can further lead to bleeding and substantial uneasiness. Chapped lips are hardly ever a serious problem and mainly extend during the cold winter season, and due to wind exposure or even sunburn.
If you have a habit of constantly licking the lips, then to you are prone to develop chapped lips. Breathing through the mouth is another cause that aggravates this problem. In some cases, certain health conditions such as a common cold, nutritional deficiencies, allergies, and dehydration may also be the reasons for your lips to become dry and cracked.
The care for chapped and dry lip corners can be healed if some steps are religiously followed, such as:
- Increasing* water intake
- Avoiding cold or sun exposure
- Avoiding smoking/ alcohol intake
- Coverage of lips in case of wind, extreme heat or polluted environment
- Maintenance of oral and personal hygiene
- Using simple home remedies that will further be discussed
Under some severe circumstances, cracked, chapped and dry lip corners may require medical care too.
Remedies for Cracked, Chapped and Dry Lip Corners
- Apply sunscreen on your lips whenever you step out to protect them from sun damage
- Apply a good naturally based lip balm which contains beneficial ingredients that help to moisturize and nourish the lips. It would be great if it contains SPF too
- Avoid licking the lips often as this can increases* dryness
- If you are prone to dry skin and lips, it is a very nice idea to use a humidifier to add moisture to the air
- Guard the lips with a scarf when there are harsh winds
- Try changing your toothpaste brand to ease the problem as your toothpaste might contain an ingredient that doesn’t suit you
- Avoid chemical based lip products and cosmetics
- Check the expiry date of the lip products that you use
- Warm water soaked in a soft cloth or cotton ball and dabbing it softly on lips also heals the problem.
- Apply petroleum jelly and allow it to rest for about 20 minutes
- Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for dry lips. It heals them quickly, especially in winters
- A cucumber slice massage, a very light one, is also very beneficial to treat* itchiness and irritation of the dried lips
- Aloe Vera will also help the healing of cracked lips
- Application of clarified natural butter also relieves dryness of lips
- A mash of rose petals and milk is an extra ordinary home remedy
- Honey is an infection fighter plus a natural moisturizer that will help drying of lips to relieve
- A mixture of castor oil, lemon juice and glycerin is an amazing home remedy too
- Other good ingredients include olive oil, cocoa butter, mandarin essential oil, tea tree oil, nutmeg oil, vitamin E oil, papaya extracts/ mash
Diet for Cracked, Chapped and Dry Lip Corners
- No spicy food
- No heavy junk food
- Fibrous foods
- Vitamin rich diet
- Fibrous food like light cereals
- Leafy vegetables
- No irritable drinks like carbonated drinks and orange juice
- No soda
- Adequate water intake
- Fresh fruits
- Milk and other dairy products
Suggestion for Cracked, Chapped and Dry Lip Corners
In some cases, dryness and cracked lips may be due to some dental or other health problem such as disease or poor denture or jaw alignment. It is always prudent to visit your dentist or doctor for an examination. Individuals who wear braces need to take extra care as suggested by the dentist.
Complete sleep cycles, a healthy lifestyle, and stress-free schedule are also some common steps that need to be taken in order to not just control chapping of lips but any other health issue.