Most people are aware about the fact that the skin of the lips is extremely sensitive and prone to get affected if proper care and attention is not given. Itchy lips, cracked, chapped and dry lips are all few conditions that cause extreme pain and irritation to the sufferer unnecessarily and are usually easily curable. Peeling lips, is another similar problem, where the skin of the lips begins to peel out due to dryness and lack of moisturization which later causes a burning sensation and irritation on the skin of your lips. The pain caused due to peeling lips is sometimes absolutely unbearable and the sufferer feels helpless about it. Therefore, this article deals with the causes of peeling lips and measures to treat* and heal them naturally, so that you become aware about the simple methods by which you can easily take care of your lips.
Causes of Peeling Lips
- People usually have a tendency to bite their lips at times of stress and tensions. The biting of lips leads to the formation of wounds. The skin of the lips then begins to peel out when these wounds begin to heal. Therefore one must always leave the lips alone at stressful hours.
- Licking of lips is another one very common habit observed in most people. The licking of lips causes the lips to dry even faster and thereby leaving the skin dry, which gradually begin to peel out if proper moisturization is not given.
- Cold and dry weather is also one of the major reasons which results in the peeling of lips.
- Natural agents such as wind, sunlight and dust may also sometimes lead to peeling lips. When exposed to these agents, the skin of the lips begins to dry out and develop cracks which causes bleeding and peeling of lips.
- Excessive use of cosmetic products such as lipsticks, lip glosses and lip liners also leads to the dryness and chapping of lips, which further causes peeling lips which are extremely painful.
Treatment of Peeling Lips
- Defeat the bad habit of biting your lips at stressful hours. The biting of lips causes the development of wounds which gradually begin to peel. Thus leave your lips alone at times of stress.
- Never pull the peeling skin. It will further cause you excessive and unbearable pain.
- Regularly moisturise your lips using a petroleum jelly or your favourite lip balm so as to avoid them getting dried and then gradually peel.
- Keep your lips hydrated by increasing* the intake of water per day to keep your lips naturally moisturised.
- Apply olive oil before going to bed as it is known to have natural healing power and thereby cure* the peeling and chapped lips.
- Avoid the bad habit of licking lips. The enzymes in saliva break down the skin tissue and this is the point where problem begins. Therefore instead of licking your lips at times of dryness, apply petroleum jelly to keep them moisturised.
- Consuming a balanced and healthy diet also helps to keep your lips healthy and free from any kinds of peeling or dryness.
- When you begin to notice that your lips are peeling, remember to take a break from the regular cosmetic products that you apply such as your lipsticks, lip glosses and lips liners. These cosmetic products may sometime contain various compounds which may result in a further burning sensation when you apply them over your peeling lips. Thereby strictly avoid the use of such products when your lips are peeling.
- To cure* chapped and dry lips in their initial stages is extremely important to avoid them getting peeled. For that, melt a cheap but good quality chapstick, until it forms a liquid and then add small quantity of olive oil to it. Heat the mixture to warm it properly. Then apply it on your lips and leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then wash it off with warm water and apply your favourite lip balm over it. Repeat the process at least 4-5 times per week to obtain soft lips and protect them from peeling.
- Make a mixture of olive oil, sugar and honey. Apply it on your lips and then wash if off with warm water after 10 minutes. Apply petroleum gel after the process. Repeating this process regularly will make your lips moist and soft and avoid them from peeling.
- Adding one tablespoon coconut oil to your coffee or drink will also keep your lips moisturised.
- Apply a combination of lemon and sugar and wash it off after sometime with cold water. It will leave soft and moisturised lips, thus preventing them from peeling.
Home Remedies to Cure* Peeling Lips
Your sensitive lips tend to peel if the required care and attention is not given. Thereby, the above points mentioned, will help you to obtain healthy beautiful looking lips and will relieve you from the intolerable pain that you have to suffer when your lips begin to peel. The remedies and treatments mentioned above are absolutely natural in nature and free from any kinds of side effects. Also these are extremely economic and easy to follow. Therefore, it is recommended to always pay attention and devote some of your time in taking care of your lips to avoid your beautiful lips from getting peeled and give you unnecessary pain.