Q: I have severely cracked lips. My lips feel too sore and I am not sure how it started. But my lips are dry and have cracks even after using the lip balm. I’m thinking to use lemon juice to cure* cracks. Will it be safe or not? Please suggest me any other juice to cure* my cracked lips.
Drying, cracking and chapping of lips are not a rare problem and you don’t have to panic about it. There have been a lot of researchers that have taken place to reduce* and prevent this problem and by further reading this article you will have clear ways to help you find solace from the pain of dry, sored and painful lips.
Basically, you need to remember that exfoliating lips becomes very essential when lips become chapped or discolored. There are various reasons for drying and chapping of lips. The major cause is harsh winters and dry weather conditions.
Also if you smoke, expose much to the sun, dehydration prone, breath with an open mouth, your lips tend to dry and chap. If you are addicted to caffeine or tea, then too you might get discoloured dry lips.
Now that you are alert and want to get rid of this problem, you won’t face many problems in curing the dryness if you follow some steps religiously.
You have also asked about lemon juice and that is a very relevant question. Chapped lips can definitely be treated best with lemon juice but you should remember that if the lips are badly chapped and have wounds that bleed or deep cracks, you should not go for lemon juice at this would ignite pain and inflammation.
If the dryness has just started, take a tablespoon of lemon juice and add one tablespoon of castor oil and glycerin in it. Now apply the mixture to the chapped lips and leave it overnight, repeat this process for a couple of nights and rub it off during following mornings. Actually, lemon juice will quickly remove* your dead skin cells and glycerin would help your skin breath with proper moisturizing.
Also, there are other ways that follow to help you get rid of dry chapped lips:
- Sugar is one of the most beneficial natural scrubs and can remove* dead cells easily. Sugar is a proven good exfoliate. If you have to derive best results, mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oil and make it into a paste form. Apply the paste dedicatedly on the lips and leave it for a minute. Aftermath, wipe it off with a damp cotton or cloth. Keep on repeating the process for some days to attain best results.
- Honey is one of the best ingredients that are thoroughly used in many makeup as well as sanitary cosmetics. The reason is its extraordinary hydrating abilities. A mixture or a paste of honey and sugar if applied repeatedly over the course of time can help you achieve beautiful moisturized and plump lips. To add flavor and variety to this mixture, olive oil, mineral oil or rose petals can do wonders.
- A soft bristle toothbrush is a great tool to keep your lips exfoliated properly. Remember you have to be very soft and delicate and get used to this step only if you have budding stages of dryness. Apply a thick layer of moisturizer on your lips, stand in front of your facial mirror, take your soft-bristled toothbrush and start using it on your lips in circular motion. Remember not to scrape them at all. This will help you get rid of the dead skin cells and will soften the lips. This step should not be often repeated and you can use a baby toothbrush to ensure the mildness.
- A paste or a mixture of baking soda and water is another good remedy to help your lips have a good health. Apply this paste on your lips in a circular motion and let the ingredients penetrate properly. Leave it on the lips for a minute and wipe it off. Remember to put a thick layer of lip balm, natural milk cream or lip butter after this process.
- Another way to moisturize and provide natural color to the lips is preparing the mixture of rose petals and milk. Soak rose petals in milk and grind them after some time. Mix them a little with natural milk cream to give them a creamy texture. This will preserve moisture and also add redness to the lips.
These were some of the easy ways to keep your lips healthy, that too at home without spending much. Along with all these remedies, also commit to memory to follow simple steps like, applying a sunscreen lip balm to the lips while going out, drinking lots and lots of water, avoid smoking, following a healthy lifestyle with proper sleep cycles etc. If you follow these norms of a healthy living, you will be blessed with not just healthy lips forever, but a wholesome good health, forever!