What is Lip Augmentation?
Lip augmentation is a process, which leads to plumper, fuller lips and decrease* all those wrinkles that are around the mouth area. This could be done by either injecting collagen in the lip or by transferring fat from some other part of your body to the lips. To get desired results you will have to go through repeated treatments, as both collagen and fat get absorbed.
Procedures Involved in Lip Augmentation?
- Collagen Injections: The collagen used is obtained from cow skin. Your lips get injected with collagen using a fine-ended needle
- Fat Injections: In case of fat, natural or biocompatible synthetic material is injected into the lips; the fat is mostly collected from your own body. To have permanent results this procedure might be repeated on a periodic basis
- Artecoll Injections: These involve injecting synthetic beads, usually polymethyle methacylate, into your lips, which plump them up
What To Expect From and During The Procedures Involving Injections?
Collagen injection produces temporary results, which may last from 1-3 months. If you are sensitive to collagen you might get a mild or severe allergic reaction. In case of fat injections; the procedure might produce permanent results for almost 50% of people who go for it, and for the other 50% the fat may be reabsorbed by the body, which calls for repeated treatments. The temporary results can last longer as compared to collagen injections. The results of Artecoll injections last longer than both collagen and fat injections.
Before your lips are injected with any of the above mentioned materials, you are given topical anesthesia to make the procedure painless. During the operation, the patient does not feel any discomfort.
- AlloDerm: The most famous lip augmentation material AlloDerm is a collagen sheet that is natural. The procedure reduces* the risk of infection down to 2%. The results produced are temporary and lasts for about six months or an entire year
- Synthetic Implants: This procedure gives you permanent results because the synthetic material used never get absorbed by your lips. However, you might reject the material or develop an infection
What To Expect During Surgical Procedures?
Surgical procedures involve local anesthesia. To insert AlloDerm the surgeon makes small incisions on the insides of your mouth corners. These incisions are then stitched up. In case of synthetic implants, an incision is made on your lips’ inside for insertion. The material, in the form of tiny tube, is inserted into your lips through this incision.
Who Are The Best Candidates For Lip Augmentation?
- You are an ideal candidate if you are in good health. If you have oral herpes or scarring, diseases, such as lupus, diabetes, blood clotting issues and connective tissue disorder you should refrain from these procedures
- If you are a smoker these treatment is not ideal for you as it can result in complications. You should inform your doctor about your medical history and diseases
What Can I Expect During Recovery?
Depending on the treatment and material used, recovery will vary. In case of injections the post-procedure phase might cause you some discomfort. Your recovery time will last a day or two with swelling lasting for about a week. In case of surgical procedures the recovery time may be painful and might last for a few weeks. You will also feel stiffness in your lips accompanied by swelling and may be slight bleeding.
Risks and Side Effects
Like every procedure, both injections and surgeries have risks and side effects. You can have mild or severe allergic reactions to the implanted or injected materials. You can also develop infections in the case of synthetic implants or other inserted materials. You might also feel prolonged redness, itching or swelling. The more serious side effects can be lip asymmetry, bleeding and implants extrusion. The results can also look extremely “fake”.
The Cost of This Lip Augmentation Treatment
Lip Augmentation can cost from $300 to $5,000, it depends on the technique being used.
* Remember that the fee may vary from region to region and also the needs of the patient.
Is Lip Augmentation Right For You?
Lip augmentation is right for you if you are a suitable candidate and are ready for all the risks attached with these procedures. Also if you want to experiment with a new look you can get a temporary procedure done instead of a permanent one.
Difference Between Lip Augmentation And Lip Plumper
Lip augmentation involves medical procedures that can have serious side effects; whereas, lip plumpers can be done using natural ingredients and without any surgeries, painful recoveries or severe allergies. There are many Lip plumping products available that give result through stimulation of lips by using ingredients like menthol or cinnamon. However, these are not long lasting results and may last only for a day.
What Treatment Should I Choose?
Lips plumper’s are an ideal and effective way to augment and stimulate the lips. These increase* the blood flow in a natural way and increase* the appearance of your lip drastically. They stimulate your lips by producing collagen naturally.
It is better to invest your money in a lip plumper instead of going for an expensive treatment, as lip plumpers are safe and help produce collagen naturally. They give you a natural, gorgeous and a lovely pout.
Also these plumper’s have moisturizing ingredients, which help your lips against thinning and drying that may result due to aging.
How Can I Choose The Right Natural Lip Plumper For Beautiful Lips?
To choose the correct Lip Plumper it is important that you see the ingredients in it; a brand with natural ingredients is the best option. Look for a plumper that has moisturizing effect as your lips need all the moisture they can get to stay young and natural looking. Always consult your dermatologist before selecting a brand.