Itchy lips are a situation when the lips emerge cracked and swollen. This is due to excessive dryness and a dry lip line also causes itchy lips. Itchy lips may further worsen and bleed and subsequently have a burning* sensation, or simply be a bit tingling and itchy. It is one of the most common dermal abnormalities. In fact itchy lips are more common than you can even imagine. This kind of situation may occur with both adults as well as children every now and then. Further in this particular article, we will discuss the causes of itchy lips, the symptoms as well as treatment options that include home remedies.
Causes of Itchy lips
It is most important to discuss the causes first, so read on to know further about it:
Allergies: Allergies are common and are to various food or chemical compounds, resulting in hives and angioedema which can head to cause itchy lips. There are some common food products which are most commonly allergic. Food material that usually cause allergic reactions and itchy lips are peanuts, milk products, corn, nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and eggs.
- Reactions: Also, reactions to some chemicals found prevalent in cosmetic stuff such as lipsticks, lip-liners, artificial balms, chap sticks, lip gloss, chemical based lip butters, etc. can also cause itchy lips. A reaction to some insect bite may also be a cause of itchy lips.
- Infections: pollution and adverse environmental conditions also result in infections that may cause itchy lips. Upper respiratory tract infections such as Kawasaki syndrome and herpes simplex stomatitis also cause itchy lips.
- Sun Exposure: Revelation to excessive sunlight or what is more commonly known as sun poisoning can cause itchy and cracked lips. Sunlight can sometimes cause an allergic reaction on the lips, resulting in chapped, itchy and dry lips.
- Dry Weather Conditions: Cold and dry weather can lead to itchy lips. Lack of proper moisturizing and insufficient water intake in such conditions may also lead to dryness and thus itchiness in lips. Vitamin insufficiency: Vitamin insufficiency can also cause itchy lips. Celitis, which results in redness and itchiness of the lips, is caused by a deficiency in vitamin B12 in our regular diet.
- Vitamin A Toxicity: Vitamin A toxicity also leads to itchy, cracking lips and in such condition the whole skin gets affected. This can be a result of constant vitamin A toxicity or even overindulge of vitamin A.
- Physical Trauma: Itchy lips can also be a result of major or minor trauma to the area like irritation or wounds caused by unfitting dentures or braces.
Symptom and Signs of Itchy Lips Allergies
- Itchy or flaking lips
- Parchedness of lips
- Swelling of lips
- Ruddiness of lips
- Hives or bumps on the lips
- Hives on the inner dermis or inside of the lips
Inflammation and itchiness of lips due to allergies occurs about 2 to 4 hours right away after consuming something that you are allergic to. Itchy lips due to infections happen about 6 to 48 hours before the infection starts to appear in the form of blisters or cold sores.
Treatments for Itchy Lips Allergies
- If the itchy lips are because of infections go for antibiotics and antimicrobial creams after consulting an expert.
- In case of allergies, staying away from foods that cause allergies is usually recommended. If the allergy is rigorous, antihistamines and anti-allergy medications are generally recommended. Similar is the case with insect bites as well.
- Itchy lips when by vitamin B deficiency are healed by vitamin B supplements as well as diet that are rich in vitamin B.
- Itchy lips when caused by reactions of some cosmetic stuff, it can be avoided by strictly not using such harsh products on your lips.
- In case of harsh and dry weather conditions that cause itchy lips, a petroleum jelly is of great help.
- In case of itchy lips due to sun exposure, try to hide your lips from sun and use a good natural based sunscreen for lips.
Home Remedies for Itchy Lip Allergies
Follow these simple home remedies for quick solutions for itchy lips:
- Beeswax, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, lanolin, vitamin E, peppermint oil, and comfrey extract are very good for itchy lips; try to use these directly or in some good lip product like butter or balm.
- Olive oil soft massage will also be great for you or Crisco will help to soften and moisturize chapped lips quite nicely.
- Try to have vitamin E capsules, puncture one and apply the oil to your lips.
- Petroleum jelly is a tried and tested chapped and itchy lips remedy.
- Moisturize lips properly every day from the inside out.
- If your lips are continually chapped, drink 3-4 litres water a day, more, if you can. This might not avoid dryness but definitely would cool and calm itching; also it will keep it from getting worse.
- A dark, creamy and trusted brand lipstick helps defend lips from the sun and keep moisture in.
- When indoor air is very dry, avoid chapped lips by turning on a humidifier in your bedroom while you sleep.
- Try eating more foods that are rich in vitamin B like whole grains, nuts and green vegetables.
- Avoid licking your lips.
- Stay away from balms that contain phenol or camphor.
- Don’t use lip balms with exotic flavours.
Itchy lips are an uncomfortable, however not very grave problem, as it is actually possible to cure* itchy lips if you follow some steps dedicatedly. If you experience itchy lips, which are not due to dry weather or common causes, it is always recommended to check with a doctor as he/she will be able to recommend the best possible treatment for your problem.