Know Everything About Lip Peeling (Exfoliative Cheilitis)
It is an amazing feeling to be the owner of a wellbeing, to look good and to possess features that are naturally attractive. It is difficult to maintain the good looks, the good texture of hair, skin, lips, etc. But once we acquire the particular chores, it is very easy to keep up with good health and lips.
Lips are a very sensitive part of the facial structure and hence it is complicated to keep them away from the havoc of environmental conditions, extreme weather, and unhealthy lifestyle.
If you experience lip peeling or have chapped lips, then this could be painful, unattractive, itchy and unmanageable.
What is Exfoliative Cheilitis?
Exfoliative cheilitis is a state that occurs in the thicker dermis of the upper, lower or both the lips. The lip skin becomes dehydrated and peeling and frequently flaking off, exposing the pink skin underside of the upper layer of the skin.
In this article, you will further get to know how does exfoliative cheilitis occurs and also its preventive and treating measures through the proper lip and health care.
Who Gets Exfoliative Cheilitis?
Exfoliative cheilitis is seldom accounted but whenever it does, it is unlikely, and it emerges to have an effect on both males and females likewise and largely occurs in younger people of less than 30 years.
The most regular occurrence of it is likely to aggravate due to the abnormal psychological state of self-damaging behavior in some way or the other. Such factors that enable exfoliative cheilitis include:
People who have poor oral hygiene, HIV infection, Candida species, Sensitive Skin, Sensitive Tummy, Vitamin deficiencies, Unhealthy lifestyle and Hormonal imbalances may also have chances to have exfoliative cheilitis.
What are The Hidden Causes of Peeling Lips?
Though the precise cause of the situation of exfoliative cheilitis is still unknown, but the points mentioned above are most exact causes that result in exfoliative cheilitis. Stress, anxiety, disturbances, pollution, hidden infections, allergies, fungal or bacterial invasions, insect bites, etc. are also various causes that might result in exfoliative cheilitis.
What are The Signs of Lip Peeling?
Exfoliative Cheilitis that is the flaking and peeling lips is exemplified by lips that reveal any of the subsequent signs:
- Cracking, shedding, peeling, itching or burning
- Any prevailing uneasiness, pain, sore or allergy
- Candida Yeast Overgrowth
The Peeling Cycle of Exfoliative Cheilitis
- Day One: During the first day of the peeling process the lips seem to be quite normal. There might be some changes that are going on inside the skin cells but are unfelt. You normally talk, eat and do all the regular activities.
- Day Two: The borders of the lip skin start worsening at this stage and their connecting areas become prominent due to the reddish outline. The irritation also prevails while talking. You could feel stiffness and inflammation like that on a fresh wound especially around the red area due to dry lips.
- Day Three: This is the most challenging day of the cycle. The lips harden, swell, and the contours start deepening with the emergence of blood on deep sites. The infection is most likely to happen, and there is absolute abnormal flaking. Discomfort, pain, bleeding, tingling and burning follow.
- Day Four: This day totally depends on the severity of the previous day. In most cases, it is not as bad as the third day but discomfort and struggle is definitely very much there. The flaking becomes more prevalent, and the dead skin becomes very hard. The care is equally required on this day as the bettering can anytime turn to the second-day stage if the measures of cure and care are not properly taken.
Are There Any Methods to Prevent Lip Peeling?
Definitely! And as you are aware, prevention is better than cure, go about it:
- Get rid of toxins
- Eat healthy like organic fruits and vegetables
- Clearing digestive tracts
- Good sleep cycle
- Proper water intake
- Maintain oral hygiene
- Balms/ sunscreens
- Exfoliation and Moisturization
What are The Steps to Treat Peeling Lips?
Peeling lips can be cured through various measures like hydration, moisturization, proper sleep cycles, healthy diet and some quick remedies like honey and natural oils massage, milk and rose petal crush balm, milk cream, natural balms, and butter, etc.
Some other measures are listed below, if religiously followed can help you get rid of peeling lips:
- Natural lip balms
- Coconut/ olive oil
- Soft dabbing with glycerin and milk cream
- Cold compress with vinegar and water
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Lactic acid based lotions/ creams
- Light and hydrating diet
- Drinking enough water
It is very essential to take care of the severe condition of exfoliative cheilitis as it is chronic as well as troublesome. If it is persistent and you are not finding anyway out, the reason might be hormonal or another serious ailment. Hence, always get the reason diagnosed to take the treating steps accordingly.