What is Dry Chapped Lip?
According to Devinder Thappa, a clinical pediatric dermatologist, chapped lips is also known as common cheilitis. This is characterized by the inflammation, cracking and peeling of the skin in the lips. In worse conditions, cheilitis can lead to splitting and bleeding of the lips.
How Lips Get Dry Chapped?
Henry Chan, in a publication for the Midwest Chapter of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, wrote that the skin on our lips is much more thinner than that of the skin on the other parts of our face. The comparison is pretty obvious since the skin on the lips is only made of up three ot four layers of skin while the skin on the face is made up of fifteen to sixteen layers.
Also, our lips do not have the same protection as the other parts of our body have. It does not have the usual, hair or body oil that protects our other body parts. This makes our lips more susceptible to drying out since it can be easily affected considering how sensitive it is.
What Causes Dry Chapped Lip?
There can be different causes of chapped lips. It can range from things such as the weather to a vitamin deficiency. The following are considered to be the more common causes for chapped lips.
- Weather – The elements can cause of lips to dry out. The winter can cause chapped lips because of its strong winds and cool temperature. The summer can also affect our lips since too much exposure to the sun can make your lips chapped
- Mannerisms – People do not realize that certain habits such as lip licking and lip biting can not only cause chapped lips but can also worsen it
- Infections – Certain infections and diseases can cause your lips to dry out
- Vitamin Deficiency – A lack of a certain vitamin can cause your lips to become chapped. Your lips need vitamins such as vitamins A, C and E to maintain its healthy state
Cure For Dry Chapped Lips
The cure for chapped lips may vary. You must always consider the cause for your chapped lips. When you lips become chapped on a more frequent basis which means that it is chronic and tends to recur, then it is important to pay a visit to your dermatologist to have yourself checked out. Certain infections can cause chapped lips and the only cure for this would be special creams and ointment that you doctor can recommend.
However, if your chapped lips are caused by normal reactions to the weather then constant moisturization of your lips will be the cure. Using lip balms containing beeswax and using petroleum jelly will have your lips looking healthy in no time.
How Can I Avoid Dry, Chapped Lips?
The best way to avoid chapped lips is to observe what things you are introducing to your body. Keeping healthy by drinking water, eating the proper meals and avoiding smoking can do wonders to your lips’ health. Also, keeping your lips moisturized will avoid any future chapping.
Best Tips For Dry Chapped Lips
Using the right lip balms will not only give your lips temporary relief but will also help lock moisture which will aid to the healing of your chapped lips. Also, always remember to never pick at your chapped lips or to moisturize it using your saliva. The saliva will only worsen the situation once it evaporates and will not only introduce bacteria to your chapped lips but will also make them drier.
How to Get Soothe Chapped Lips?
The only way to soothe your chapped lips is to moisturize it often. Also certain home remedies will help in the healing of your lips.
- This first time comes from the Whole Living Daily. According to them, although water is an essential instrument in regaining your lips’ health, topical application of cool cucumber slices unto your lips will help heal, reduce irritation and relieve the dryness on your lips
- Another natural remedy would be to mix sugar and honey and to gently scrub it unto your lips. This serves as a natural exfoliant
Diagnosing Dry Chapped Lip
Although the tips already mentioned in this article are extremely helpful, it is always best to consult with your dermatologist first. Certain symptoms of chapped lips can signal a more serious underlying disease. It is thus important to first rule out any serious infection or illness that can be causing your lips to become chapped.
Treatment for Dry Chapped Lips
Treatment for dry chapped lips can vary. The first consideration should be the cause of your chapped lips. Chapped lips can be treated using special ointments and creams prescribed by your dermatologist. Constant moisturization of your lips can also cure the drying.
How to Prevent Dry Chapped Lips?
It is again important to note that in order to prevent your lips from becoming chapped and dry the following guidelines and tips should be followed.
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat the proper balance of food and nutrients that your body needs
- Stock up on vitamins A, C and E
- Avoid licking and biting your lips at all costs
- Always moisturize and protect your lips from the harsh elements by using the proper lip balms and oils