Joint are the connecting parts of your bones. They are essential in providing support* and help you move. Joints should always be taken care of because any injury to them might lead to interference of movement and also result to a lot of pain.
There are several conditions which can lead to joint and muscle pain. These conditions include rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis, gout, osteoarthritis and several other injuries.
Joints and muscle pain can be mild and in some cases can be very severe and usually last for several weeks and in some cases they can last for few months.
Before starting any kind of medication your doctor will need to diagnose your condition so that he/she can know what kind of medication is well suited for you.
There are several medications that can be used to treat* joint and muscle pain. The treatment for joints will depend on:
- The severity of your condition.
For mild joint pain, acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be used. You should avoid taking alcohol when using this medicine. Intake of alcohol while using this medicine can result to liver problems.
In cases of moderate to severe joint pain with swelling, non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be used. Examples of NSAIDs that can be used include naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).
In cases of severe pain, opioid drugs can be used. Opioid drugs should only be used under the doctor care. They usually cause constipation and drowsiness. In case of constipation when using opioid drugs laxatives can be used for relief*.
Other medications that can be used to relieve pain include some antiepileptic and antidepressant drugs and muscle relaxants which can be used together with NSAIDs for effectiveness.
Injections can also be used especially in cases where other forms of medication have not been effective. Steroids combined with local anesthetics can be injected directly into the joint after every three to four months.
Hyaluronian injection can also be used to treat* the pain. This is commonly used to treat* cases of osteoarthritis. Topical agents can also be effective in treating joint pain. Only one example in this case agents include Capsaicin. Capsaicin is very effective but has side effects such as burning* sensation in the area where it has been applied.
Another topical agents is arthritis cream which contains methylsalicylate (Ben Gay)
Exercises can also be helpful in relieving joint and muscle pain. A physician therapist can guide you on how to strengthen* muscles around the joints. Exercises that can be helpful in relieving joint and muscle pain include:
- Strengthening Exercises Such as Weight Lifting: Weight lifting helps you build your muscles which will help in protecting the joints.
- Cycling: Cycling helps to exercise the joints. Indoor cycling exercises your cardiovascular system and is good to people who have a balancing problems.
- Walking: Taking a walk helps the muscles to grow stronger*. It also helps in relieving pressure from the joints and reduces* the pain. Walking is also beneficial in that it compresses, build the cartilage in the knee and supply oxygen to the joints.
- Yoga: Yoga is easy to do and helps in developing stability, strength and mobility. It also helps in treating sore joints.
Use of joint pain supplements can also help in relieving joint and muscle pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements can be effective in treating joint pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin are contained in normal cartilage and taking the supplements can help in boosting the supply incase of a shortage. The supplements are safe but they might sometimes not be effective.
Homecare can be helpful in relieving the pain. A method called PRICE can be very effective. This includes:
- Protecting the joints with a cap.
- Rest the joints. You should avoid activities that can strain the joints.
- Ice the joints. You can put ice on the affected area for about 15 minutes every day. This helps in relieving the pain and inflammation of the joint.
- Compression of the joints using an elastic wrap.
- Elevating the joints above the heart level.
Muscle and joint pain should be a thing of the past. Stay free from muscle and joint pain.