Varicose veins usually occur in legs and feet. They signal the obstruction of blood vessels causing blue or red color. If they become enlarged and gnarled, they cause blood congestion signaling poor blood circulation around the affected areas. In serious cases, the valves in the veins may stop functioning normally resulting in what appears like varicose veins. If you suffer from this condition, you may experience swollen blood vessels and skin discoloration.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Swollen or heavy legs.
- Pain in the legs or calf after sitting or standing for a long duration.
- Skin discoloration on the legs or ankles.
- Dry, scaly, or irritated skin that cracks easily.
- Skin sores that hardly disappear.
- Spider veins, itching or bruising.
- Hardened skin in the ankles and legs over time.
Varicose Vein Risk Factors
- Sitting or standing for an extended time due to sedentary jobs.
- Obesity or being overweight.
- Chronic constipation.
- Genetic factors (being a member of a family prone to varicose veins).
- Gall bladder or liver stones.
- Female gender (as a result of hormonal changes in puberty, pregnancy, or menopause).
- Use of birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy.
- Being born with defective valves.
- Older age
How to Relieve and Prevent Varicose Veins
- Use compression stocking to reduce swelling. These stockings squeeze blood towards your heart.
- Put your legs above your heart at least thrice every day.
- Avoid sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Regularly perform leg exercises to boost blood circulation.
- Take special care for your wounds if you have open sores or infections.
- Engage in whole body exercises regularly like swimming or walking.
- Shed extra pounds by eating healthy foods.
- Consume plenty of water every day.
- Use a moisturizer if you have dry or cracked skin. Note that some skin care treatment can worsen symptoms of varicose veins. Contact your doctor before using such treatments.
- Take green juices to alkalize your body which is essential for improved circulation.
This juice can be helpful in reducing or eliminating your varicose veins and its symptoms.
- 2 ribs celery
- ½ small pineapple
- ¼ lemon juice
- ½ medium-sized beetroot
- ½-inch ginger root
- ½ yellow bell pepper
Simply wash all the ingredients, place them in a blender and blend until you get a smoothie.
This juice also comes with other health benefits and consuming it as many times as possible won’t cost you much. You can even make this curative juice your best smoothie to take along with your meals.
- Celery: It has anti-inflammatory health benefits and antioxidant including vitamin C and flavonoids.
- Pineapple: It has anti-inflammatory benefits and rich in vitamin C and Manganese important for antioxidant defenses (boost immune system). It also contains thiamin (Vitamin B) essential for energy production. In eliminating varicose veins pineapple reduces blood clot and excessive coagulation.
- Lemon Juice: It contains vitamins A, B, E and C. It is also rich in phosphorous. Health benefits include boosting immunity, strengthen blood vessels and promote healing of the skin.
- Beetroot: It is rich in compounds that have been shown to be effective in keeping and maintaining elasticity of blood vessels and prevent diseases like arthritis, heart disease, and kidney stones among others.
- Ginger Root: It is rich in vital compounds that increase blood circulation.
- Yellow Bell Pepper: It is rich in vitamin C and other essential compounds that promote the flow of blood.
These ingredients in this green juice can be substituted with others that are rich in vitamin C. These include oranges, red chili peppers, grapefruits, and leafy green vegetables among others.
It is important to consult your doctor before drinking this curative juice if you have a history of high blood pressure or heart disease. Be careful if you are pregnant or diabetic when using this juice. Inquire from your doctor if drinking this juice can interfere with prescribed medication or worsen the symptoms of an already existing medical condition. This juice should not be used in place of doctor’s prescribed drugs for treating varicose veins.
Varicose is a common problem affecting a large population across the world, particularly the elderly. It has many risk factors that can be prevented through dietary and lifestyle changes. Regular exercises, avoiding sedentary lifestyle, shedding weight, and eating right are some of the ways you can prevent varicose veins. If you make this amazing juice your favorite smoothie, you can prevent, ease if not eliminate symptoms that come with varicose veins. The juice is cheap and easy to prepare but very beneficial to your overall health, particularly the circulatory system. Prepare these ingredients and take foods rich in vitamin C and blue or red veins in your feet or legs will be a thing of the past.