Is eating meat bad for your health? Doctors, dieticians and health fanatics alike have been debating that topic for decades.
And a steady rise in obesity, cardiovascular disease and inflammatory conditions among Americans in recent years has placed an even greater emphasis on foods that are good for you and foods that are not.
Does meat contain fat? Yes, but it also contains protein, vitamins, and minerals that are essential to our health. Is meat high in calories? Yes, but the calories consumed from meat are nourishing and keep us feeling full longer.
Whether you lean more towards paleo or vegan really depends on your personal preference. If you do in fact choose to include meat in your diet, follow these simple guidelines to satisfy your carnivorous cravings without sabotaging your health.
1.Choose lean meats that contain the words “loin,” “tenderloin” or “sirloin.”
2.Eat meat in moderation. Limit eating red meat to no more than 18 ounces per week.
3.Opt for organic, free range and grass fed meats. Limit or eliminate meats that are grain fed and reared with the use of hormones and antibiotics, or were genetically engineered.
4.Limit or eliminate processed meats such as deli meats, sausage and hot dogs as they usually contain high levels of sodium and preservatives.
5.Cook meat at lower temperatures. Try searing meats on high for a short time, just long enough to seal in the juices, and then complete the cooking at a much lower temperature.
6.Trim meats and poultry of any visible fat and skin before cooking.
Need some ideas? Try these simple and healthy meat recipes for dinner:
Pistachio and Herb Crusted Pork Loin
1 2lb Pork Loin
1 T Honey
1 T Dijon Mustard
¼ C Chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, thyme, and sage
¼ C Pistachios, shelled and chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place pork loin in a greased roasting pan.
- Mix honey and dijon mustard together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the pork loin with the honey mustard mix.
- Mix chopped herbs and chopped pistachios together in a small bowl. Apply a thick coating of herb/nut mixture to the top and sides of pork loin.
- Place coated pork loin in the oven and bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 20 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 160.
Lemon and Herb Grilled Chicken
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 lemons, juiced
¼ C Extra virgin olive oil
¼ C Chopped fresh poultry herbs such as parsley, rosemary, thyme, and sage
1 Garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag or bowl.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl and pour over chicken. Seal bag or cover bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat grill to high or use a grill pan on the oven and heat on high for about 2 minutes.
- Place chicken on grill and grill on each side for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and let the chicken cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Remove from grill and serve.
Tasty Turkey Chili
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 T minced garlic
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1-2 hot peppers, seeded & chopped or 1 can chopped green chili peppers (optional)
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 lb ground lean turkey
2 15 oz can red kidney beans
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can sliced black olives
16 oz frozen corn
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 C chicken stock or water
2 T chili powder
2 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Coarse sea salt to taste
- Place extra virgin olive oil in a stock pot on med high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add ground turkey and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add chopped peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until mixture is simmering. Lower heat and let simmer for :30.
Slow Cooker version:
- Place extra virgin olive oil, chopped onion, and garlic in a saucepan and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Place turkey mixture and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Fajita Style Bison Burgers
1 lb Ground Bison
1 T Chili powder
1 tsp Ground coriander
1 tsp Sea salt
½ tsp Ground cumin
½ tsp Garlic powder (not garlic salt)
½ tsp Onion powder
½ tsp Ground black pepper
1 T Extra virgin olive oil
1 Green bell pepper sliced into thin strips
1 Red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
1 small Onion sliced into thin strips
4 slices Cheddar Jack cheese (optional)
4 Hamburger buns
- Place extra virgin olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute
- Add pepper slices and onion to the pan and stir over medium heat until onion slices are translucent and peppers are fully cooked and slightly wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan on the oven to medium high.
- Divide Bison into 4, ¼ lb sections. Form them into burgers and set aside.
- Make fajita seasoning by combining next 7 ingredients.
- Coat both sides of burgers with fajita seasoning to taste.
- Cook burgers over medium high heat approximately 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Place burger on a bun and top with cheese and pepper and onion mixture and serve immediately.
Chimichurri Sirloin Steaks
4 Sirloin steaks
Sea salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
½ bunch Fresh cilantro
½ bunch Fresh parsley
½ bunch Fresh basil
1 Garlic clove
1 small Shallot
1 Lemon, juiced
1 T Red wine vinegar
1 C Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Trim any visible fat from steaks and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Set aside for steaks to reach room temperature.
Place remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until ingredients are thoroughly chopped and mixed well. The mixture will resemble a thick liquid.
Preheat grill or grill pan to high and sear steaks for approximately 1 minute on each side. Move steaks to indirect heat on grill or turn the heat on stove to low and let steaks cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on each side depending on thickness and desired level of doneness.
Remove steaks from grill, place on plates and top with Chimichurri sauce. Serve immediately.
Feature Image: Shutterstock.com
In-Post Image: Images Provided By Author