As if taking care of our skin is not hard enough, we have to deal with the fact that there might be harmful ingredients right there in our favorite skincare products. We are talking about ingredients that would do more harm than good to your skin but despite that fact, they are commonly used by most skincare brands.
So what you would need to do is get informed and look for these ingredients in your skincare products. The next step would be avoiding these exact products. But for now, let’s concentrate on getting informed first. What we will share is a list of harmful ingredients and explain why they should be avoided by any person who is interested in keeping their good health.
A list of Harmful Skincare Ingredients
1. Parabens – Parabens are used among 75-90% of all cosmetic and skincare products. Not only are parabens used in many of our favorite skincare products and cosmetics, they can be also found in food and drugs.
What parabens have done to earn their place on our list is them being connected to the development of breast cancer. This is a controversial topic that has drawn a lot of attention over the years. So the skincare products brands which were adding parabens to their products decided to do a little trick and started listing Phenoxyethanol instead.
2. Phenoxyethanol – But Phenoxyethanol is just as dangerous as parabens! It has been linked to skin irritation and even brain and nervous system damage. It is a paraben alternative which is commonly used in skin moisturizers and various make-up products.
3. Fragrance – According to the Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Database, fragrance use in skincare and cosmetic products have been linked to allergies, dermatitis, respiratory and reproductive system problems. Lotions, moisturizers and makeup removers are where fragrance is most commonly found.
4. Aluminum – There are known researchers that suggest  a certain link between aluminum and Alzheimer’s disease. More than 5 million Americans have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2017, according to the latest statistics . It is also linked to the development of breast cancer as well. And despite this, aluminum is still commonly found in a variety of skincare products posing a risk for the development of skin irritation.
5. Gluten – It is not uncommon for gluten to be used as an ingredient in skincare products. Unfortunately, this usually leads to skin irritation and even skin herpetiformis.
It would be for the best if you stay away from skincare products that have gluten listed on their ingredients list.
6. Triclosan – Researchers suggest that there might be a possibility of Triclosan providing the bacteria with the ability to become antibiotic-resistant. Unfortunately, Triclosan is commonly found in many of the anti-bacterial soaps and deodorants that we use.
7. Formaldehyde – Commonly found in many skincare products and cosmetics, Formaldehyde has been linked to nasal and nasopharyngeal cancer as well as allergic skin reactions and skin irritation. Check your favorite nail polish, body wash, conditioners, shampoos and skin cleansers for the presence of Formaldehyde.
8. Synthetic Colors – FD&C and D&C stand for the use of artificial colors on the ingredients list of skincare products and cosmetics. These synthetic colors are derived from petroleum or coal tar sources. Synthetic colors are suspected to be a human carcinogen, skin irritant as well as a cause for AHDH in children.
Due to the suspension of being a human carcinogen, the FDA has banned the use of synthetic colors in food, cosmetics and skincare products. Despite the fact that they are banned, there are still a number of brands that keep using artificial colors in their products which are not FDA approved. Get informed whether or not you are using an FDA improved* product or not.
Choosing the right skincare products is not an easy thing to do. It involves a lot of patience, time and effort. If you are interested in choosing a quality skincare product that is. But a lot of people do not seem to take the time to do the right choice.
And what they end up with is a wide range of skincare products and cosmetics filled with harmful ingredients that should not get anywhere near the skin. So instead of ending up throwing thousands of dollars on different skincare products, take the time to get informed about the various harmful ingredients that you would like to avoid if you are interested in keeping both your health and your skin intact.
So go back to reading our article where we have shared a list of the most commonly used harmful ingredients in skincare products to get informed and then go through your skincare collection to see if there are any harmful ingredients hiding in there!
Feature Image: Shutterstock.com
In-Post Image: mylittlebobcancer.com