What is World Head Injury Awareness Day?
World Head Injury Awareness Day is a public health and awareness campaign that falls on the 20th of March every year. It raises awareness of the number of people that suffer from head injuries and educates the public on how head injuries can be prevented.
The public health and awareness campaign advocates the correct use of safety devices like seat belts and helmets which play a crucial role in preventing damage to the brain during accidents.
About 5% of people suffer from serious brain injury after an accident or from trauma to the head. World Head Injury Awareness Day raises awareness of the impact of having minor or major head injuries to the brain and quality of life of a person. This is to give importance to the different safety precautions one can take to prevent such injuries or at least reduce the risk of serious brain damage.
Causes of Head Injury
There are three main causes of head injury that are motor vehicle, bicycle or vehicle-pedestrian accidents that make up for about 50% of cases, falls (25%) and violence (20%).
In a recent study regarding traumatic brain injuries in the construction industry, the most common cause is falls followed by trauma to the head from being struck by a hard object. The study found that most injuries occur in the morning involving young workers.
Complications of Head Injuries
A head injury can cause damage to vital parts of the central nervous system including the brain. This can affect the overall health and well-being of the person negatively. Even a minor case of head injury can result in severe repercussions if it is not treated in time.
Thus, it is important to seek medical help after any head injury. This can help prevent complications like memory loss, paralysis and even death.
Purpose of World Head Injury Awareness Day
The main purpose of World Head Injury Awareness Day is to reduce significantly the incidence of head injuries. The public health and awareness campaign aims to do so by educating the general public regarding the different ways to prevent head injuries.
It also puts the spotlight on the number of head injury cases each year to highlight the importance of practicing safety precautions especially in accident prone areas or circumstances like when playing sports, working in construction or operating heavy machinery including driving an automobile.
Preventing Head Injuries
There are many ways to protect our head and brain from injury. Even simple ways can have a significant impact in preventing serious head injury. The best way is to practice the utmost safety precautions for the use of safety equipment. Here are some recommendations that can help prevent serious head injury:
- Always wear a seatbelt when in an automobile
- Use an appropriate safety seat for children
- Do not drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle
- Use the rails when going up/down stairways and never run on stairs
- Provide adequate lighting in dangerous areas like steep stairs
- Provide the right safety equipment for all workers
- Display important safety information in the workplace
How to Treat a Head Injury – First Aid Training
What Can You Do on World Head Injury Awareness Day?
- Use social media to spread awareness of head injury prevention.
- Organize an event for World Head Injury Awareness Day in your area.
- Contact specific companies like those involved in construction to prioritize the safety of their workers.
- Talk to your family and friends about the importance of wearing seatbelts and using safety equipment.
- Contact your local television or radio station to make a public service announcement for World Head Injury Awareness Day.
- Write an article regarding preventing head injuries and get it published in your local newspaper.
- Organize a seminar for educating students and the general public on preventing head injuries.
- Produce a video about the burden of head injuries in your country and call for action.
- Work with local health care officials and public figures to raise awareness of head injuries and their impact on the life of a person.
- Host a conference to talk about head injuries.
Message of World Head Injury Awareness Day
Even the simplest head injury can have serious repercussions on a person’s health and well-being. The best thing to do is to prevent head injuries in the first place. This can be done easily by using safety equipment and practicing safety guidelines at all times especially in dangerous environments.
When driving or riding an automobile, always wear your seatbelt. Use the appropriate helmet in construction areas and when riding a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle. You can help spread the word and raise awareness of the head injury problem that is a major crisis today.
Read Next – National Winter Sports TBI Awareness Month