What is Meant by National Senior Health and Fitness Day?
National Senior Health and Fitness Day is Wednesday, May 31st, 2017. This year at least 100,000 senior citizens in over 1,000 different locations all over the United States will join in celebrating 23 years of honoring our older adult population with fun and entertaining activities.
Purpose of National Senior Health and Fitness Day
The Mature Market Resource Center is the organization that spearheads National Senior Health and Fitness Day. Helping to keep older American adults fit and healthy in every area of their lives is the main goal for this rewarding day. This day not only provides games and exercises for the elderly, but also provides an enormous amount of information regarding their physical health and how exercise not only benefits them physically but helps their mental and emotional health as well.
Patricia Henze, the program manager for NSHFD said, “Older adults at all levels of physical fitness are encouraged to participate in National Senior Health & Fitness Day. Our goals for Senior Day are to make exercise fun, to increase awareness of the benefits of a regular exercise program for older adults, and to encourage all older adults to take advantage of the many health and fitness programs offered in their communities.”
There are a variety of different organizations that participate in planning events for this day, including:
- Various retirement communities
- Area Senior Centers
- Agencies on aging in the area
- Places of worship
- Health clubs
- Shopping centers and malls
- Department of Parks and Recreation
What You Can Do on National Senior Health and Fitness Day?
The manual that comes with registering for National Senior Health and Fitness Day provides an abundance of ideas ranging from small group exercises to taking local walking tours and attending health fairs. The programs they recommend doing include not only exercise and encouraging various forms of physical activity, but they also recommend providing pertinent information about the health and welfare of senior citizens.
Some popular exercises you can do with older adults include:
- Stretching: This exercise is easy to do, but must be done slowly and carefully.
- Walking: This exercise may be more challenging for some more than others, but is very beneficial to everyone, no matter how much or how little they walk. For those who may be wheelchair-bound but can still use their legs, moving themselves with their feet also helps with lower extremity circulation.
- Balloon Volleyball: This is a favorite with many senior citizens, especially those who happen to be wheel-chair bound. Make two lines of people facing each other, then start batting an inflated balloon up and down the row. This not only gets their blood circulating better, but also their breathing by the action of their arms as well as the inevitable laughing that accompanies this game. It also stimulates brain activity and eye-hand coordination.
- Dancing: There are endless possibilities involving music and some form of dancing. With a little ingenuity, dancing can be incorporated in most everyone’s life, no matter their physical limitations.
These are just a few ideas of what can be done on National Senior Health and Fitness Day, as well as every day.
Message of National Senior Health and Fitness Day
The overall message for this day is: If you keep moving, you will keep improving! Most people need some form of motivation to get exercise to be an integral part of their lives. Participating in this day’s events may be the motivator many may need. Once they have participated in some of the activities of the day, they will see how good they feel after doing them, and will want to incorporate exercise into their daily routine.
Must Watch – Workout Videos for seniors: Beginner Friendly Low Impact Exercise
How to Register?
If your group is interested in hosting a local event, you will need to register so that you can use the National Senior Health and Fitness Day name and logo legally. The fee for registering is $29.95 for each location (plus shipping and handling). The registration fee entitles you to unlimited access to the official 2017 event web site. It also includes all the resources, materials, and ideas you would need in order to have a fun, successful event.
There are three easy ways to register:
- Online at http://fitnessday.myshopify.com/
- Mail or Fax info at http://www.fitnessday.com/senior/nshfd_registration_form.pdf
- by phone: 1-800-828-8225
National Senior Health and Fitness Day is a wonderful way to honor the older adults in your community. Call or log onto one of the links above to register with NSHFD to host your own event.