Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month
Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month urge the people to take appropriate measures so as to control it. The event will be aimed towards creating awareness among people regarding the importance of early diagnosis. Apart from it, the event will also educate the folks on the preventive measures. The overall objective will be to lower the casualty rate from melanoma.
What is Melanoma?
Unfortunately, skin cancer is the most prevalent type of cancer in the States and Melanoma the most menacing form of skin cancer. The mutations in the skin cells lead to the formation of malignant tumors leading to the formation of mole like protrusions on skin which can ultimately become septic. Thus in States alone, skin cancer causes about ten thousand deaths every year which is almost one life lost per hour.
What Causes Melanoma?
The major culprit behind melanoma is ultraviolet light rays however other factors also contribute to it.
- Genetics: The people who have a family history of melanoma or who themselves had contracted some type of skin cancer in the past are susceptible to it. Studies have revealed that the fair skinned people with light colored hair are also prone to melanoma. The genes p53, BRAF and CDKN2A are associated with hereditary melanoma.
- Exposure to UV Radiations: The exposure to ultraviolet radiations (such as in intense sunlight or tanning beds). The risk of melanoma is also enhanced in those have been sun burnt.
There are many different types of melanoma which have varying effects on human health. However, the disease could be cured if it is diagnosed in early stages.
What is Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month?
In order to reduce and control the number of melanoma cases, it is important that all parts of the society are educated about melanoma. The education program should not be restricted to the doctors only but the families and general public should also be made a part of it. In order to raise public awareness about melanoma, its symptoms, control and treatment the American Academy of Dermatology has sponsored the
Purpose of World Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month
Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month is being celebrated to prompt the people into action.
In order to do so, the following objectives must be fulfilled towards the end of Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month:
- Raise awareness about melanoma
- Educate and spread the preventive measure that can act as a safeguard against melanoma
- To encourage the people to undergo regular full body checkups to aid in early diagnosis
- Encourage the society to change their habits and attitudes
- School education and training programs where the children are educated about the threats of melanoma and the preventive methods
What can You do This Month?
There are various ways by which you can contribute to the Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month in your area.
- Actively advertise the event using different media platforms like print and electronic media.
- Use your social settings to spread the word. Tweet about Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month. You may use other platforms or social media sites like Instagram and Facebook to promote the event.
- Getting endorsements from the opinion makers of the society in order to enhance the cause even further.
- In order to provide information about the preventive measures in a better way, it might be a good idea to place posters detailing the safety measures in the most frequented places.
- Arrange a lecture by a skin specialist who can advise people about their routine and encourage them to adopt healthy habits
- In order to ensure that all the objectives are met, spread the word about Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month
Message on Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month
Melanoma/ Skin Cancer is very dangerous and it is the most prevalent form of cancer in US, this makes Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month event very important and very beneficial to the community. So this May, make your time worth it by spreading awareness among people regarding the disease, its effects, potential causes of the disease, preventive measures and treatment.