Global Family Day is celebrated each year on the 1st of January. It is celebrated mainly in the United States but other countries have started to participate in recent years. Its origin is quite unclear but many people believe it started from the United Nations General Assembly proclamation of the first year of the millennium to begin the International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence for the Children of the World in 1997. Traditionally, the first day of every year has always been regarded as the beginning of new things. It is customary to have New Year’s Resolutions which generally include some modifications in a person’s lifestyle and behaviour for the ultimate goal of leading a better life. Some examples are exercising regularly, quitting smoking and cutting down consumption of alcohol.
On a more general note, the first day of the year has become a day for considering ways of promoting peace both locally and across the globe. The declaration in 1997 by the UN General Assembly started the theme “One Day of Peace” which was then celebrated on the first day of each year. In 1999, a formal invitation to all United Nations member states was sent encouraging them to participate and celebrate the first day of every year as a special time for promoting peace and sharing.
Although it was not adopted universally, the first “day of Peace” was significant enough for the United Stations to establish this as an annual observance event in 2001. The event has now evolved into Global Family Day which is already recognized by more than two thirds of the worldwide population.
Purpose of Global Family Day
The main goal of the yearly observance is to promote peace and sharing. It starts with celebrating and loving within your very own family unit which is naturally most important, right and proper. This is because the family unit is among the most important groupings in existence. However, it can take several forms having a head of the family and its members.
Global Family Day is also for recognizing that we are part of a bigger family which is the human race. Ideally, the family should be peaceful and loving but divisions have arisen due to crises and other events that have taken place in various parts of the world. As a result, the human race is not a loving and united family. This is the problem that Global Family Day was created for. Most people are not aware that the most powerful man in the world, the president of the United States (Barack Obama) was a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 which indicates that he is a firm believer in world harmony. He is an advocate of finding ways to live together as one global family.
What You can do on Global Family Day?
- Use social media to raise awareness of Global Family Day
- Share a meal with others and create a special bond with them
- Mend broken bridges with family and friends
- Volunteer for local organizations to help celebrate Global Family Day
- Organize a feeding drive for the homeless
- Volunteer for groups in your community that help those in need
- Distribute Global Family Day posters and other materials
- Contact your local newspaper, radio and television stations to spread the word about Global Family Day and its purpose
- Reach out to people in your community especially those who live alone
Message on Global Family Day
We are all part of a family which is the human race. Although there are many things that can divide us and cause problems, there are also many things that can unite us. We should all work together to attain world peace and end the biggest problems like hunger, war and terrorism. Everyone can contribute and help in achieving the goals of Global Family Day.
Special Tips on Global Family Day
- Remember that peace begins within you so try to be calmer at all time. Always think and re-think before taking action
- Meditation is an important part of living a peaceful life
- Start opening up to your family and friends in order to prevent vital issues that can cause misunderstandings
- Exercise regularly in order to help manage stress and prevent aggressive and impulsive behaviour
- Try to become a model of truth and great possibilities
- Never act impulsively. Take a short break whenever you feel angry or aggressive in any way
Global Family Day is a reminder that we should all take part in promoting peace and sharing because we are part of one big family which is the human race. We should all start the year with the goal of attaining peace and harmony with others in mind. Start by making peace with your family members and friends then you can promote peace in much bigger ways and contribute to attainment of world peace.