According to a number of studies and reports, cannabis has been used to treat a number of ailments since the past 3000 years or so. However, the drug and food regulatory authorities are not so eager in legalizing the usage of cannabis, even for medicinal purposes. Nevertheless, with the passage of time, some nations are now inclining towards the regulation of cannabis usage.
Cannabis is essentially a herbal drug that is created out of the cannabis plant. There are certain chemical compounds present in the said plant called cannabinoids. There are different ways in which cannabis can be consumed, either for medicinal or recreational purposes. It comes in form of edibles, such as chewing gum or chocolates, or it can be injected.
This article will guide you through the different health effects of cannabis.
The health benefits
There are various health benefits associated with the usage of cannabis. Many medical professionals and institutions such as dispensary Daly city which have recommended the use of cannabis as a medicine. Following are some of the health benefits listed:
- 1. Cannabis has long been associated with the treatment of chronic pain. Chronic pain is one of the most prevalent problems which has resulted in millions of adults all across the globe being affected by disability. Reports have shown that there are active ingredients in cannabis that are effective when it comes to chronic pain relief.
- 2. There is cogent evidence to support the proposition that cannabis can be beneficial in treating social anxiety, depression, and PTSD. Medical professionals now use cannabis to treat different mental illnesses. However, it is pertinent to note that cannabis is not a suitable treatment for other conditions such as psychosis or bipolar disorder.
- 3. With the passage of time, some evidence has shown up which suggests that cannabis consumption can ease some of the symptoms associated with cancer and the treatments thereof. This includes vomiting and nausea. Some studies even show that cannabis can reduce or even eliminate the growth of cancer cells.
- 4. Cannabis is now further approved as an effective medication for the treatment of two types of epilepsy. This is called the Dravet Syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome. There are ingredients present in cannabis that have anti-seizure effects. Researches show that children who were having around 15 seizures per month were after consumption of cannabis experiencing fewer seizures.
The health risks
There are certain health risks as well of consuming cannabis. This is especially applicable when such consumption is carried out in an unauthorized manner.
- 1. Daily use of cannabis is highly associated with mental health problems. It is shown that abusing the use of this substance can worsen different bipolar disorders. There is even moderate evidence to support the proposition that avid users of cannabis can engage people in suicidal thoughts. There is even a risk of psychosis. Therefore, if you are using cannabis, it should be done so in a proper manner.
- 2. Regular smoking of cannabis can increase the risk of respiratory diseases. This includes asthma and obstructive pulmonary diseases. Excessive smoking can even result in lung cancer. However, medicinal and restricted use can ensure that no such risks materialize.
- 3. Although their cannabis consumption can help with the treatment of certain types of cancer, there is some evidence to establish a link between cannabis usage and testicular cancer. However, this may only be a problem if the consumption is carried out in an improper manner.
The bottom line
Above are some of the health effects (including benefits and risks) associated with cannabis usage. These are based on different medical opinions. There is evidence which indicates that cannabis consumption can be beneficial as well as harmful for you. However, this entirely depends on how the same is being used.
Public authorities are now slowly regulating this area. Laws have been passed all across the globe to deal with this problem. Some scientific bodies suggest that this substance shall be used for medical purposes. However, drug regulatory authorities normally consider it as a scheduled substance.
In any event, it is advisable that medical and legal professionals are consulted before you use the substance for any reason whatsoever.