When we were growing up our mother and grandmother would always tell us we had to eat more fruits and vegetables. Yes, fruits are sweet but they weren’t sweet as chocolate. Now, when we grew up, we start to realize that our mom was right, plus we start buying magazines, read health and lifestyle websites where we get to see tips and advice from experts, and guess what, they recommend fruit.
We all have our favorite fruit but most of us have a limited choice of fruits to consume and we disregard everything else. Every fruit has its own vitamins, minerals and great nutritional value.
In order to improve your lifestyle, you should introduce a wide selection of fruits to your diet. This article will focus on every season and reveal what fruit you should consume during that time, and why. Keep reading and find out.
It have numerous health benefits and some of them are:
- Preventing Cancer – Blackberries are rich in ellagic acid which can inhibit genesis of tumor and prevent the formation of cancer cells. The research conducted by Christine Sardo, who manages clinical studies on berry consumption for Ohio State University’s College of Medicine, only confirmed something it was discussed for many years. She and her team including Professor Gary Stoner used rats for the study. The rats were first fed with cancer-causing chemical for five weeks, then some rats were given blackberries and other berries. The findings of the study showed that rats that ate blackberries, raspberries etc.had decreased oral, esophageal, and colon cancers compared to rats that didn’t eat them.
- Good for Eye Health – Blackberries are perfect tool for decreasing chances of developing cataracts. Research from the Nurse’s Healthy Study revealed that women who ate variety of vegetables and fruits rich with antioxidants were half as likely to develop cataracts. When it comes to antioxidants-rich fruits, blackberries are especially powerful. One cup of blackberries contains more than half of recommended daily intake of Vitamin C.
Cherries are also beneficial for your health, and their benefits include:
- Reducing inflammation associated with osteoarthritis – According to researchers, tart cherries have the highest anti-inflammatory content of any food. The study was conducted by team or researchers of Oregon Health and Science University. The research included 20 women aged between 40 and 70. Women were supposed to drink tart juice twice a day for three weeks. the results of the study showed that the inflammation in their body was reduced, and the most dramatic change was in women who had high level of inflammation at the beginning of the study.
- Lowering risk of gout flares – Hyon K. Choi, MD and team of researchers conducted a study at Boston University Medical Center. The study included 633 participants who were supposed to eat 10 cherries every day. The findings of the study were published in the journal Arthritis and Rheumatism and they revealed that daily intake of 10 cherries lowers risk of gout flares by 50%.
- Reducing risk of stroke – Cherry-rich diet can also prevent stroke according to the researchers from University of Michigan Health System. Most medications for cardiovascular diseases can lead to stroke. The researchers conducted a study to examine whether the consumption of cherries would help with cardiovascular disease without developing a risk of stroke. The rats who were fed with cherries and cherry juice displayed improved balance and coordination, and lower blood pressure. This study is the first to associate cherries with lowered risk of stroke and is of great importance for people who have to take various medications.
Strawberries have a lot of health benefits and they are delicious as well.
However, most people don’t know that strawberries can reduce LDL (low density lipoprotein) which is also referred to as “bad cholesterol” and increase HDL (high density lipoprotein) which is also known as “good cholesterol”.
The researchers from the Università Politecnica delle Marche (UNIVPM, Italy) and their colleagues from the Universities of Salamanca, Granada and Seville (Spain), conducted a study which showed that strawberries can reduce cholesterol.
The study included 23 participants who were supposed to eat 500g strawberries per day. The results of this research were published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry showed that LDL cholesterol was lowered by 13.27%, and the amount of triglycerides decreased by 20.8%.
Apples are superior to all other fruits, hence the saying “Apple a day keeps doctor away”. Some of their health benefits include:
- Reduced risk of Alzheimer’s – Professor and chairman of the department of Food Science & Technology at Cornell University, Chang Y Lee, conducted a study whose results showed that brain cells treated with antioxidant found in apples, quercetin, have a higher protection from neurotoxicity by blocking of free radicals that are known for damaging brain cells.
- Reduced risk of Diabetes Type 2 – Study conducted by Professor Qi Sun from Brigham Women’s Hospital in the United States showed that consumption of whole fruits especially apples and blueberries can reduce the risk of developing diabetes type 2. This research included 187,000 people and researchers used data collected between 1984 and 2008. More than 12,000 participants developed diabetes during the study. The results showed that people who ate at least two servings of whole fruits like apple and blueberries per week showed reduced risk by 23% of developing diabetes.
Peaches have potential to reduce obesity-related diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The study conducted by Dr. Luis Cisneros-Zevallos, AgriLife Research food scientist and associate professor at Texas A&M University, showed that peaches have bioactive compounds that can fight metabolic syndrome which is usually associated with obesity.
The mixture of bioactive compounds works simultaneously with the different components of the metabolic syndrome. Additionally, Cisneros-Zevallos declares that peaches along with other stone fruits have anti-inflammatory, anti-obesity, and anti-diabetic properties and they are able to reduce LDL cholesterol which prevents cardiovascular diseases, and lowers risk of getting stroke. The findings of this study were presented at the American Chemical Society in August 2013.
It boost your brain’s health and reduce risk of developing Parkinson’s disease. A group of researchers from Purdue University, North Carolina State University, and Rutgers University discovered that blueberries can prevent the start of neurodegeneration (loss of nerve cell function) and they suggest the consumption of cup of blueberries a day.
Guava is good for your health as well. For example, scientists in Morabadan, India discovered that guava regulates high blood pressure.
Their research included 120 patients with high blood pressure, 61 patients ate guava every day before meal and 59 participants didn’t have any changes in their diet. After the period of 12 weeks, the researchers discovered that patients who ate guava every day had decreased systolic blood pressure of 9 points, while diastolic blood pressure fell by 8 points.
Pears are Fall’s forgotten fruit. However, regular consumption of pears can help with digestive difficulties. According to research which was conducted by Dr. Dipayan Sarkar and Kalidas Shetty from North Dakota State University pears are able to control stomach-related diseases and this fruit can maintain the balance bacterial activity throughout the digestive process. Pears are also rich in Vitamin C and fibers.
Grapes are simply inevitable on this list. Some of their health benefits include:
- Grapes stop cancer cells – The research which was conducted by Elvira Gonzalez de Meija, an assistant professor in the food science and nutrition department at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, suggests that consumption of grapes releases bioactive component which enters our bloodstream and relocates to various regions in our body.Grapes are consisted of neutral chemicals which can prevent cancer cells from developing. The team of researchers suggests eating grapes, not supplements in order to get the most out of this marvelous fruit.
- Grapes reduce heart failure – This fruit can reduce heart failure which is associated with the high blood pressure. The study conducted at the University of Michigan Health System reveals that grapes increase the activity of genes that are responsible for antioxidant defense in the tissue of our heart. Findings of this research were published in the journal of Nutritional Biochemistry.
Pineapples prevent and fight colon cancer. Laura Hale, M.D and PhD, an associate professor of Pathology and Director of Laboratory of Oral Vaccine Development at Duke University, worked with compounds found in pineapples to investigate their effect on colon cancer cells.
After conducting some researches it is assumed that bromelain (compound from pineapple) doesn’t allow our immune system to adhere with the molecules that could be causing cancer.
However, scientists still don’t know why bromelain has the beneficial effect on decreasing colon cancer and Dr. Hale is working on other researchers to fully investigate this pineapple’s compound. It is recommended to take 4700mg of pineapple every day.
You May Also Check – These 10 Healthy Foods In This Fall Season
We all love this fruit which is great because it has many health benefits, like:
- Reduces Risk of Stroke – This was confirmed by the study conducted at Norwich Medical School in the University of East Anglia in Norwich, United Kingdom. The researchers behind this study used information gathered for more than 14 years from the Nurses’ Health Study. The information they used included reports from more than 70,000 women. The participants reported the consumption of foods in detail every four years. The results of this research showed that women who took bigger amount of flavonones (compound that is found in grapefruit and other citrus fruits) had decreased risk of suffering from stroke by 19%. Fruit that was mostly mentioned in these reports were oranges and grapefruit. However, researchers emphasized the importance of eating whole foods rather than buying supplements or taking fruit juice.
- Helps with Weight Loss – The Grapefruit Diet is widely popular and is advocated by many celebrities including Kylie Minogue. Unlike most diets endorsed by Hollywood which lately turned out to be fake, grapefruit really is effective in weight loss. Dr. Ken Fujioka from the Scripps Clinic conducted a study about the grapefruit diet. This study included 91 obese women and men, and the researchers monitored their condition for 12 weeks.Participants of this research were divided into several groups like:
- Group that received placebo capsules with 7oz of apple juice
- Group that received grapefruit capsules with 7oz of apple juice
- Group that received 8oz of grapefruit juice with placebo capsul
- Group that received half of grapefruit with placebo capsule
After the 12-week period, group that ate fresh grapefruit lost the bigger amount of weight, 3.52 lbs. Additionally, group that received fresh grapefruit also had improved insulin resistance.
It has many health benefits, but the most surprising one is the fact they can manage and ease erectile dysfunction.
This was confirmed by the pilot study conducted by researchers from The Male Clinic and University of California. In the International Journal of Impotence Research, the researchers wrote that 47% participants of their study reported the improvement of erections due to regular intake of pomegranate juice.
Pomegranates can also prevent progression of coronary artery disease. Journal Atherosclerosis published a research conducted by the team of researchers from Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, Canada.
They used mice to investigate the effect of pomegranate on mice and results showed that the size of atherosclerotic plaques was reduced. Researchers also discovered that pomegranates decreased the level of oxidative stress.
Additionally, researchers from The Lipid Research Laboratory from Haifa, Israel conducted a three-year-long research whose results showed that pomegranate juice can reverse carotid artery sclerosis by 30%. Carotid artery sclerosis is a term that refers to the process of narrowing of the carotid arteries.
During the first year of the study, in people who were in the control group and weren’t introduced to pomegranate juice blockages increased by 9%. The researchers concluded that consumption of pomegranate juice decreased the caritoid intima-media thickness (IMT) and regulated systolic blood pressure.
After reading this you should introduce a wide selection of fruits to your diet in order to improve your overall health.
If you love this, tell us what’s your favorite fruit that you will eat this season?