Imagine a world without waist trainers. Thousands of us would have failed to get that hourglass look. And the Hollywood waist training corset craze would never have taken off.
This craze that we are discussing here might have won massive popularity when celebs like Kim Kardashian West, Jessica Alba, and Nicki Minaj adorned it; but the trend doesn’t go well with all.
While it does help in getting the much-coveted smaller waist size, its critics believe that its negatives outweigh its positives. Is it the truth? Not really.
So, let’s reveal the truth that waist training hides within.
But first, let’s understand the basics of this much-hyped process.
What is Waist Training?
The obsession with smaller waists and hourglass figures isn’t new. It was born decades ago and persists today as well. It is this obsession that led to the concept of waist training wherein a steel boned corset is used to get that ideal hourglass shape. Although, the results are semi-permanent.
Now, it’s important to understand here that waist training is not just for reducing the waist size. It is practiced for various reasons. From improving your posture to getting relief from the pain associated with scoliosis – waist training can help in all this and much more.
Although experts and users believe that waist training is safe and effective, naysayers raise questions about its performance and its impact on the overall health of the user. More on that later.
For now, we will simply go back in time and trace history to understand where it all began.
Waist Training – How & When It Started?
Back in the 1500s, waist training made its foray in Europe and then in America. In the 1900s, the era of corsets began. However, by 1920, they gradually escaped the fashion scene and were replaced by brassieres.
With models and celebrities using corset waist trainers, these products have gained much commerciality of late. And for all the right reasons. It cannot be gainsaid that waist training has been an age-old practice and has still not lost its relevance.
Are Waist Trainers Safe to Use?
In a single word: Yes!
A much-detailed answer to this question would be – yes, provided you use it sensibly. Finding the right waist trainer might be difficult, but once you have got the product that suits your waist training requirements and your body, it’s important to use it safely.
If your chosen corset or waist cincher brings pain or discomfort along with it, stop using it. Understanding the fact that waist trainers shouldn’t cause any prolonged discomfort is essential to utilize its full potential.
Yes, one might experience symptoms like shallow breathing and backache initially. But then, these shouldn’t last long. Also, as with any form of training, taking things to the extreme is a big no in this case as well.
Although the millennials need a quick fix for almost everything, getting that slender body shape requires good efforts on your part. No doubt that a waist trainer can aid the process of body-shaping, it shouldn’t be done in the extreme.
Take a break if you find yourself indulging in extreme training that is resulting in health issues.
You see, for all its good effects to realize, waist training should be an exercise in pragmatism.
Benefits of Waist Trainers
Waist training is all about getting a smaller waistline, or is it? There is no denying that the right waist trainer can help you achieve that hourglass figure that you desire. Even more important, however, is to figure out how it leads to several other benefits. So, let’s take a look at them below.
- Spinal Curve Correction – One of the many benefits that waist training can provide is correcting postures. This, in turn, leads to correcting the spinal curve – acting as a boon to those dealing with scoliosis. Additionally, when done right, waist training can prove beneficial in relieving back pain, associated muscle tension, and can help in even spinal curve reduction.
- Mitigating Headaches – Headaches, particularly migraine, can be debilitating. And as shocking as it may seem, migraine affects 39 million people in the U.S. and 1 billion globally. The good news here is that by improving posture, waist trainers like corsets can prevent the constriction of the nerves from the spine. This takes off the tension from the neck and shoulders, ultimately leading to a reduction in the intensity and frequency of migraines and headaches.
- Lumbar Support – Another reason why waist trainers can improve the quality of life of the user is by providing enough lumbar support. The nature of jobs that most of us have today requires a lot of standing or sitting in front of the computer. Some even have to bend a lot or do the heavy lifting. All these jobs may put a toll on our backs, leading to chronic back pain. Wearing a waist trainer can help by improving lumbar support and preventing injuries that poor posture can cause.
- Bustline Support – Women who need proper bustline support can also find waist trainers helpful. Besides accentuating the bustline, waist trainers provide good lift and support. This is highly beneficial for those women who want to reduce the pressure on their back due to larger breasts.
- Back Strengthening – The next time you are looking for ways to strengthen your back, think of wearing a corset waist trainer. This product is believed to treat several back problems be it slipped discs or vertebral fractures. Many users even claim that waist training has provided them relief from osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and other back related disorders. Well, waist training works wonders on the human body. Isn’t it?
- Postpartum Waist Tightening – Giving birth is one of the blessings that only women can experience. But it leads to a lot of changes. Naturally, women wish to go back to their pre-pregnancy selves after giving birth, especially when it comes to their bodies, they wish to get back to their pre-pregnancy body frame as soon as they can. This is where post-baby waist training has proved to be of help to many new moms.
From the celeb world, we have names like Kim Zolciak, Ciara and Brooke Burke-Charvet endorsing waist cinching. And how can you forget Kylie Jenner, another celebrity mom who jumped on the waist training bandwagon last year?
The list continues to grow, and non-celebrity moms are joining it too – for corsets can terrifically support post-partum bodies and aid the healing process. Some moms even loved how waist trainers helped them reduce bloating and postpartum cramping.
How to Purchase The Right Waist Trainer?
As your need for waist training differs from others, so do your requirements for that perfect waist trainer. The point is that waist training alone won’t yield the desired results unless you put in some good efforts in finding that right product as per your body type. From the size to the material, everything needs thorough consideration.
Remember that choosing the perfect waist trainer is the most important part of your waist training journey. In that sense, when you use the right product and follow the right regimen, you can experience the right results and avoid risks.
Follow a detailed guide published by Republic Lab that can help you pick the best waist trainer for your use. And once you have chosen the right product, use it well to enjoy its benefits. Also, don’t forget to maintain it with proper care. The right maintenance of your waist trainer will help you experience its goodness for a long time.
The Key to a Successful Waist-Training Regimen
Discussions about waist training often focus on their temporary benefits. But what many forget to understand is that waist training should be practiced along with a healthy diet and exercise routine.
Also, understanding your body cues is equally important. Do not wear the waist trainer forcefully if you are uncomfortable, as that may do more harm than good. It is recommended to take the waist training process slow in the beginning and increasing the corset wearing duration gradually.
If possible, focus on your core muscles during your workout sessions to complement the results obtained through waist training. You will be amazed at how a simple thing and the right regimen can trim your waist considerably.
Waist training can be a boon for those struggling with protruding bellies. It can improve posture, increase confidence and offer some health benefits too.
However, even if waist training has traditionally focused more on bringing many advantages, we are at the dawn of a much comprehensive evaluation of this practice – given that if used in the wrong manner, it can damage your body.
This is why, proper knowledge, right use, patience, and perseverance are essential for realizing the various advantages of waist training. The process takes time. So, by all means, one should avoid wearing waist trainers extremely tight or for too long in order to expect quick or exceptional results.
That said, the right use of waist trainers makes the practice pretty safe and effective.
So, have you tried waist trainers? How was your experience?
Will you recommend waist training to others? Leave your comments below to help those who wish to practice waist training.
Also, read and share this piece so that millions know waist training better. Let’s create a confident, healthier and happier world together.