A woman’s vagina will always have some type of natural odor to it, but there are certain things that can cause this odor to dramatically change. It may give off a slightly fishy, musty, or even metallic scent that could be an indicator of a more serious condition. Yeast and bacterial infections, pregnancy, and even sexual intercourse can all cause a woman’s vaginal odor to change. Depending on the cause, there are several different ways to not only treat* the strong smell, but to also have your private areas smelling fresh and clean again.
Odor, Discharge, and Irritation
If a woman is experiencing a strong fishy odor, there is probably a problem with her vaginal ph levels. The delicate balance of bacteria in the vagina can be easily disrupted, causing a strong odor to appear. The main cause of the imbalance is generally a result of a bacterial infection. Generally either topical or home remedies will take care of the problem, but if irritation and heavy discharge are also present it may be a sign of a sexually transmitted disease and a health care professional should be contacted.
Pregnancy and Sexual Intercourse
A surprisingly high number of women reported experiencing a strong vaginal odor during their pregnancy. While this could be a sign of a bacterial infection, it is more likely that the ph imbalance is a simple side effect of pregnancy and will correct itself afterwards. In the meantime, washing regularly with warm water and plain soap can help to prevent the odor from becoming too strong. The same is also true for odors that occur after intercourse. While it might be a reaction to a lubricant or a condom, it can also be a woman’s own natural response to sexual arousal. Regularly washing in warm water and soap can help to eliminate* any embarrassing odors. If the problem is caused by the brand of condoms or other sexual aids, switching types may be a simple and effective solution.
Treatment and Prevent for Vaginal Odor
While it is normal for women to have some vaginal odor, there are times when it can become slightly strong and embarrassing. To help treat* and prevent this from happening, here are a few easy ways to always smell fresh and clean in your private and sensitive areas.
- Eating plenty of plain, unsweetened yogurt may be the easiest and most effective way to treat* and prevent vaginal odor. Plain yogurt is high in lactobacillus which works with the body’s own natural bacterial defenses to help restore and maintain a healthy vaginal ph level.
- To help restore healthy vaginal flora and fight off infection causing bacteria, many experts recommend adding Apple Cider Vinegar to their baths. Two cups in warm bath water can help restore ph levels, and also help you to relax.
- This home remedy is not for every woman, but it is an effective and powerful antibiotic. To help eliminate* the odor, insert a small garlic clove into the vagina. Leaving it for two to three hours can not only help to treat* and prevent bacterial infections, it will also help to restore the body’s ph levels and eliminate* the strong vaginal odor.
- A woman’s ph level can also be leveled by taking a bath with 1/2 of cup of vinegar and 1/2 of salt, several times a week.
- Try to only use warm water and unscented soap while you are washing the vaginal area. Heavy perfumes and harsh chemicals can upset a woman’s delicate ph levels. If you must douche, opt for a vinegar based one instead.
- To prevent the spread of bacteria, wipe from front to back after using the restroom.
- Always change your underwear daily, and try to avoid wearing tight fitting clothes. When the air flow is blocked by tight fitting or synthetic fabric clothes, an area that is already moist can become even more so. This can also lead to a buildup of harmful bacteria that can cause infections and odors.
- Always change any feminine hygiene product such as tampons and panty liners frequently.
- Try to avoid using any products that contain harsh chemicals or perfumes that can upset a woman’s ph balance.
It is important to remember that it is normal for a woman to have some vaginal odor, it only becomes a problem when it is too strong. Following good hygiene can help to treat* and prevent some odors, but the best prevention is to pay attention to your body. Often, when a woman’s vaginal odor becomes too strong, it is an indicator that something else is wrong. Simply paying attention and knowing your own body can go a long ways towards treating and preventing strong vaginal odors.