There has been a bit of a mix up with regard to eyelash extensions. What most people don’t know is that all types of eyelash extensions be it false eyelashes or extensions are semi-permanent in nature.
Semi-permanent eyelash extensions are synthetic fibers that are attached to your real lashes one by one to make it look as if they are all one seamless strip of eyelashes. This procedure makes your lashes look more voluminous and lush. Because the eyelashes frame the eyes, you tend to look brighter and younger.
Semi-permanent eyelash extensions actually look natural because of the fact that it is just attached to your natural lashes which means that it is your eye shape that is being followed. It’s like having mascara on 24/7.
There are three main types of lash extensions and these are:
- Synthetic: This is the most inexpensive of the bunch. It is pretty basic and it is made of artificial material.
- Silk: This kind of eyelash extension tends to make a more dramatic look since it is a much darker black as compared to the others. Silk also makes it look as if you already have mascara on.
- Mink: This one is the most luxurious of the three. Mink has a more natural look. It tends to blend into you natural lashes. The problem with mink extensions though, is the fact that it is a little bit costly.
Overview on Permanent Eyelash Extensions
Permanent eyelash extensions actually require a transplant or grafting. The good thing about this is that your new lashes will last a lifetime and upkeep is extremely minimal since the lashes will grow out by themselves. There is the need for trimming since it does not fall out and it does not follow the 3 stage cycle your natural eyelashes have.
Difference Between Semi-Permanent and Permanent Eyelash Extensions
- Cost: Permanent eyelash extensions will cost you. A procedure will set you back around $5000. However, the semi-permanent eyelash extensions cost only about a fraction of that.
- Maintenance: The only upkeep you will ever have to worry about when it comes to permanent eyelash extensions is the occasional trimming. However, when it comes to semi-permanent eyelash extensions you are not allowed to wet the area for a day or so and you will have to go back to the salon for a touch up every now and then.
How to use Semi-Permanent Eyelash Extensions?
The procedure usually starts by the esthetician taping down your upper and lower lashes. It is then that the tedious procedure of placing one synthetic eyelash after another is done. This usually ends with your esthetician curling your lashes for a more finished look. For this reason, this treatment usually takes around two hours to finish.
As long as the eyelash extensions are applied correctly, then no harm will fall upon your natural lashes. Look out for an inexperienced technician. Amateur estheticians could mess up the application of your extensions. They could create clumps and this in turn would damage the lash.
It is extremely important to go to a salon with a reputable reputation. As was previously mentioned, a treatment done for an eyelash extension is supposed to be pain free. To avoid damaging your lashes, just don’t tug your lashes or rub your eyes. This could cause your lashes to fall out.
How to Apply Permanent Eyelash Extensions?
One does not “apply” permanent eyelash extensions per se. With permanent eyelash extensions (as we have already stressed) it is extremely important to have a skilled and licensed professional do it. You can look for reviews or ask around. The procedure will start with the doctor removing* or grafting hair from other areas of your body, usually the lower part of the nape.
He then will begin the painstaking process of attaching and transplanting each and every hair unto your eyelids. Though it sounds like a tedious process the whole procedure does not take more than an hour or so.
Semi-Permanent Vs Permanent Eyelash Extensions: How Long it Last?
Permanent eyelash extensions are promised to last a lifetime since the hair is actually transplanted unto your lids. In semi-permanent eyelash extensions, they only attach in, the procedure is non-invasive. As the name says, permanent eyelashes will last you forever but when it comes to semi-permanent lashes they will only last you about a year if you maintain them properly.
The question of whether or not to get permanent or semi-permanent eyelash extensions should always be followed up with “How much upkeep am I willing to put up with?” and “How much money am I willing to pay?” After that, and we cannot stress this enough, do your research and pick out a licensed and skilled aesthetician or doctor to perform the procedure to ensure against any type of negative reaction or effect.